Apple makes a first time buyer a believer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by leadfoot, Oct 12, 2004.

1. leadfoot macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2004
    My story is just another of a partial "switcher" who ends up very very pleased with the way Apple treated him. I say partial switcher because I dont see a day when I will get rid of my PC, as I do enjoy building them for myself, and using it for high end gaming, photo editing. I have for a couple of years now also owned a very nice small Sony Vaio laptop. It has been a great little computer, but when I bought it I did not think I would end up using it for photo editing, so I bought the smallest laptop I could find, and this was it. Its screen is something like 10.3 inches, and it weighs in at 2.76 pounds. Turns out it was just a little too small.

I decided I wanted to replace it, and for some reason I got into my head that I wanted to replace it with a Mac. Went to my local retailer, (SmallDog) and played with all the cool Mac toys. After more than a decade in the PC world, I was surprised how much I liked the Mac stuff. I looked at the 12" powerbook, 12 & 14" iBook, and the 15" powerbook. I have to say I was rather dissapointed with the screens on all of them except the 15" powerbook, which just looked incredible to me. I didnt want to spend the big bucks and buy a new one, and after hearing so many good things about the refurbished products from Apple I went for it. This past weekend, Apple had a 15" with 1.33ghz/256 ram/60 gig HD including the wireless card for $1699, so I jumped on it Saturday. I am on the East coast. I point this out because Not only did Apple get the thing shipped on that very same day, but Fed-Ex got it to my house from California Yesterday! I was TOTALLY impressed quite frankly, but it got better still.

See, Apple sent not what I ordered, but the next level up. I had read on here of this happening from time to time, but when I turned the machine on to find that I had received a 1.5ghz/512 meg of ram/80 Gig HD, and a video card with 128 meg of memory instead of 64, well I have to say I was absolutely Shocked! Now I hessitated to post this part, because I dont want people thinking that this is how apple always works, or that they should somehow also get the same thing. I think it was just pure luck, or perhaps an oversight.

Apple, you did me right, and I have to say, pretty damned impressive.

2. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004

right on and welcome to the family.

love to hear you say good things about apple! just wait till you use OSX more, plus all the integrated apps, plus check out phone support, plus updates...

its a lovely world all in one place. congrats on your new pb. sounds terrific.

3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Sweet deal! I hope that you find all of your Mac experiences as rewarding as this last one.

We're here if you need us!
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    where are you from?

I saw that you said SmallDog as your local retailer, how close are you to them?? I live in Burlington, VT. I think smalldog is great and I try to go there when ever I have a free day with nothing to do. My only hope is that they open a retail store here in Burlington, I know I would be the first to apply for a job!
  5. leadfoot thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks for the kind welcome all! I have to say being completely new to OS X I find it very cool to use. Yes I am struggling a bit, but nothing even REMOTELY like the frustration I have been through with Windows 3.1 through 98, (XP is not too bad to use).

Anyway, as to my location relative to SmallDog I live in Montpelier, so I can be there in about 20 minutes. I was planning on buying one of their refurbs, but they were only offering the 1 ghz 15"powerbook WITHOUT the wireless card for $1679. It just did not make financial sense when I could get a 1.33 with wireless for $20 more direct from apple. Never mind what I ended up with. :D

6. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004

plus... did you get the illuminated keyboard? did you check?

just turn off the lights... :)
  7. leadfoot thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2004
  8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    Congratulations on your purchase and you luck in getting a great upgrade bargain. I know someone who had a mint perfect 12" iBook from the UK refurbish store, he did not get an upgrade, but we was very happy with his purchase.
  9. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004

simply outstanding - well done. enjoy!