Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
It's up, it's down, it's up. Month after month.

What does't mean? Could the market have finally stabilized after the iPhone disrupted the crap out of it? No that can't be it, if things are stable then market weenies can't game the system and steal people's money with "math."

So clearly with Apple is on the rise they are failing horribly... every other month.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
"People" don't use iPhones more. Just "People" in the US.

"All People" around the world use Android OS more so that pretty much makes your entire post wrong.

So people in the US use iPhones more? Then what the heck does your post have to do with anything? This thread's title is "US Smartphone Market Share". What the eff does around the world have to do with anything? It's quite obvious my comment wasn't meant to be representative of the entire damn world since I explicitly did not say that. Learn to read and comprehend English.

mkanet

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
I've used iphone for years. I recently upgraded to Samsung Note II; and, couldn't be happier. Call me a fanboy or not, the larger screen and customizability alone made it a worthwhile upgrade.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Wonder which excuses the Android fanboiis here will post now?

U.S. stats only where Apple is always a big seller. Worldwide stats are more realist. It's like comparing Nokia x Apple in smartphone market share in Brazil. Nokia surely wins. Maybe even LG has more consumers than Samsung.

Looking at markets worldwide things look a lot different.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Yep. It's all price. If all Androids were priced at the same level as iPhones (unsubsidized) $649/749/849 their market share would dwindle very quickly.

You almost never hear that some one got an Android because they really wanted one. It's because it was "FREE" or "very cheap" with their regular contract cycle. Or they broke a phone or whatever and the Android was cheap to replace it. They don't speak with any passion, it's all $ plain and simple.
What? Dig your head out of the sand for 5 seconds and look at the market.
An unsubsidized 16GB S3 retails for $650. A 16GB Note 2 is over $750.

This isn't 2009 anymore.

Premium Android phones cost as much, even more in some cases, than an iPhone.

Sure, there are still cheap crap Android phones out there, but the biggest sellers are on par price wise with the iPhone.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
So people in the US use iPhones more? Then what the heck does your post have to do with anything? This thread's title is "US Smartphone Market Share". What the eff does around the world have to do with anything? It's quite obvious my comment wasn't meant to be representative of the entire damn world since I explicitly did not say that. Learn to read and comprehend English.

Your quote was
People use iPhones more because they last longer. It's not built from really poor quality plastic (ala Samsung). It's got software updates for at least twice or thrice as long as Android based devices (exception are Nexus devices). And let's not forget there are better quality apps on iOS in general. Oh and iOS is easier to use and the interface is consistent across multiple devices, multiple versions of the OS.

You stated people use iPhones more. They don't. Maybe you need to be a little more specific next time to post a rant that isn't true.

What the eff does around the world have to do with anything? It's quite obvious my comment wasn't meant to be representative of the entire damn world since I explicitly did not say that.

The effing World is People. People in the US are a small percentage of People. So if more People in the world use plastic phones then your post holds no truth.

Nothing to get your panties in a ruffle over. People prefer Android given the overall percentage is larger for Android OS, that's why they have a large lead over Apple in overall usage around the world.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Yep. It's all price. If all Androids were priced at the same level as iPhones (unsubsidized) $649/749/849 their market share would dwindle very quickly.

You almost never hear that some one got an Android because they really wanted one. It's because it was "FREE" or "very cheap" with their regular contract cycle. Or they broke a phone or whatever and the Android was cheap to replace it. They don't speak with any passion, it's all $ plain and simple.

You are very right. Samsung does not even sell the Galaxy S3 at the same price as iPhone 5. Looking at unsubsidized prices around the world, on average the Samsung Galaxy S3 sells for a price point between that of iPhone 4 and 4S, and Apple gives no discounts.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
How is Apple doing so badly in terms of financial predictions and on the stock market but gaining market share ? :confused::confused::confused:

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
People use iPhones more because they last longer. It's not built from really poor quality plastic (ala Samsung). It's got software updates for at least twice or thrice as long as Android based devices (exception are Nexus devices). And let's not forget there are better quality apps on iOS in general. Oh and iOS is easier to use and the interface is consistent across multiple devices, multiple versions of the OS.

I just had lunch with my boss, who's a self admitted Apple hater and proud of it. He turned in his BlackBerry about six months ago for a Samsung phone and he was showing it off to everyone. Today we were at lunch he was surprised that he got a burst of e-mails as soon as we go to the restaurant. Apparently his phone is now only accepting data over WiFi, Cellular data has stopped working. Not just for the moment. He told me just a bit ago that he thinks it's died. Voice is fine as he can still get calls but he has to stay in WiFi areas to do anything else.

Yeah, but it's got a really big screen.

:D

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
You are very right. Samsung does not even sell the Galaxy S3 at the same price as iPhone 5. Looking at unsubsidized prices around the world, on average the Samsung Galaxy S3 sells for a price point between that of iPhone 4 and 4S, and Apple gives no discounts.

The iPhone is a phone people lust after, which is a property not many phones today have. Although this effect is lessening now more and more people seem to have iPhones.

----------

Android must be awful to develop for. Developers have to ensure that their application will work with such a broad range of devices! iOS development is heaven in comparison.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011

Not sure what unsubsidized prices have to do with anything.

If people actually bought unsubsidized phones, in any major numbers, then the 4 and 4S would have been gone due to low demand. How many do you think decide to save $200 and buy a 4 for $649 instead of a 5 for $849? ($0 vs $200, on the other hand, will trick a lot of low information customers, and that's why the 4 is still around.)

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
In Europe, the IPhone costs $900-1200.
The only number that matters is the Android version usage figure, which tells us that only 14.9% are running Jelly Bean, and 28.6% running Ice Cream Sandwich. In short, less than 50% are running a high end Android phone. This basically tells us that Android's meaningful global market share, is actually much less than 25%. The other phones are low - mid range phones, that are being purchased because they are cheap, not because of the OS. If Apple released a phone priced at $250-350 off contract (as rumors suggest they will), they could triple their unit sales, and double their global market share in 1-2 years with ease.
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

If Apple sells 300million of a $350 IPhone, and we assume it has 36% margins, they will increase their earnings by 37.8billion. Even if it cannibalizes 10-20% of high end sales, it will double earnings from the IPhone. If India and China have shown us anything, it's that Apple is able to gain huge market share when they make their products affordable for consumers. When they offered cheap financing, their sales grew by over 400%. If they offer financing and produce a $350 IPhone mini, the sky is the limit. The Googphones and Huahai phones that are effectively clones priced at $200 (that sell millions by offering the look of an IPhone) will be slaughtered. Apple is doomed!!!

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
These stats are being distorted by the propaganda of android fans who claim that it is a platform, and a smartphone platform at that and that it is dominant

What kills me is when people talk like there's some kind of "tablet market".

There is no tablet market. There is only an iPad market.

And in that market, Apple has 100%.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
What kills me is when people talk like there's some kind of "tablet market".

There is no tablet market. There is only an iPad market.

And in that market, Apple has 100%.
Another one with their head in the sand.
Apple's market share for tablets is just under 50% and falling steady.
(43.6% as of Q4 2012)

Market share 4Q 2011 1Q 2012 2Q 2012 3Q 2012 4Q 2012
Apple 51.6% 67.8% 68.2% 46.6% 43.6%
Samsung 7.3% 6.9% 9.6% 15.1% 15.1%
Amazon 15.9% 4.1% 5.0% 8.3% 11.5%
ASUS 2.0% NA 3.4% 7.8% 5.8%
Barnes & Noble 4.6% NA NA 0.7% 1.9%
Acer NA NA 1.5% NA NA
Other 18.5% 21.2% 12.3% 21.6% 22.0%
Total 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0%

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/02/02/apples-ipad-market-share-slips-farther-below-50/

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Not sure what unsubsidized prices have to do with anything.

If people actually bought unsubsidized phones, in any major numbers, then the 4 and 4S would have been gone due to low demand. How many do you think decide to save $200 and buy a 4 for $649 instead of a 5 for $849? ($0 vs $200, on the other hand, will trick a lot of low information customers, and that's why the 4 is still around.)

Most carriers don't work the same way as the big 3 in the US.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Another one with their head in the sand.
Apple's market share for tablets is just under 50% and falling steady.
(43.6% as of Q4 2012)

Market share 4Q 2011 1Q 2012 2Q 2012 3Q 2012 4Q 2012
Apple 51.6% 67.8% 68.2% 46.6% 43.6%
Samsung 7.3% 6.9% 9.6% 15.1% 15.1%
Amazon 15.9% 4.1% 5.0% 8.3% 11.5%
ASUS 2.0% NA 3.4% 7.8% 5.8%
Barnes & Noble 4.6% NA NA 0.7% 1.9%
Acer NA NA 1.5% NA NA
Other 18.5% 21.2% 12.3% 21.6% 22.0%
Total 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0%

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/02/02/apples-ipad-market-share-slips-farther-below-50/

Here is a thought for you. The Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy tab are toys. The IPad has 93% of enterprise market share. Read the Amazon reviews. Most people buying a Fire also own an IPad, with many buying the Fire for their kids due to parental controls.
http://media.www1.good.com/documents/Good-Q4-Device-Activations.pdf

The only reason anyone knows what the GS3 is has to do with the 12billion dollar anti-apple advertising blitzkrieg that Samsung has been pushing. An overwhelming number of GS3 owners purchased it due to advertising combined with Carriers pushing it before the IPhone 5 due to LTE. Google "Cracked GS3". The GS3 is an expensive phone, built with stolen designs, that break easily and cost a fortune to fix. Android is a competent OS, built around stolen ideas, that is being used by cell phone makers to sell massive amounts of devices without having to build their own software.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Here is a thought for you. The Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy tab are toys. The IPad has 93% of enterprise market share.
http://media.www1.good.com/documents/Good-Q4-Device-Activations.pdf
Irrelevant to the conversation.

Those "toys" are gaining in consumer market share where Apple has seen steady declines.

Enterprise sales are pocket change in the bigger picture.
I've seen more iPad pilot programs at my company get closed down after the "coolness" factor wore off and workers realized they needed tools, not glorified displays. They're being replaced with new ThinkPad ultrabooks.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
What? Dig your head out of the sand for 5 seconds and look at the market.
An unsubsidized 16GB S3 retails for $650. A 16GB Note 2 is over $750.

This isn't 2009 anymore.

Premium Android phones cost as much, even more in some cases, than an iPhone.

Sure, there are still cheap crap Android phones out there, but the biggest sellers are on par price wise with the iPhone.

Then there is the Nexus 4 starting at $299. So maybe he has a point when he claims that the iPhone is way overpriced?

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Most carriers don't work the same way as the big 3 in the US.

Are you talking about smaller US carriers, or non US carriers?

I'm talking about the US, and the big three currently have about 80% of the total subscribers. So, how the 20% left work doesn't really matter in the big picture.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Then there is the Nexus 4 starting at $299. So maybe he has a point when he claims that the iPhone is way overpriced?
I've had a chance to use a Nexus 4 for a while.
It's worth every penny of $299. Not much more.
Nice screen and smooth graphics.
The lack of an SD card option kills it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.