Apple makes it easy to use P2P??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by blvdeast, Jun 16, 2004.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

This isn't a post about P2P software, but I noticed in the Firewall Prefrences (Sharing), there is already a premade option to allow Limewire/Gnutella networks. I find it odd that Apple would simplify the opening of ports for file sharing.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Why would they make that part hard and everything else easy? There are many legitamte uses for P2P so why not allow your users to access those features (or close them) easily?

3. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

I used p2p to download mandrake so i didn't leach their servers or mirrors. i'm just suprised because now itms is depended on apple preventing music piracy, the record industry's enemy. i'm not complaing, just suprised

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Every good thing can be abused. Just because something is abused doesn't mean it should be removed or hindered. The Mac is user friendly in most every way... this would seem to be no different.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Actually, you could look at like they are trying to make it easier to block those ports, too. If it's it easy to block, but not easy to open you just shot yourself in the foot.

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Just one of the reasons I support Apple more than M$. ;)

But serously, p2p could be used for distribution of TV shows or Linux distros for example, thats not illegal.

7. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I don't have those options under Sharing, I would wager that LimeWire installed the option during installation.

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I agree. Apple didn't do that, but a P2P program that you installed did.

Lee Tom

9. tj2001 macrumors regular

It's There...

It is there, look under System Preferences->Sharing then click the firewall tab, then click "New" and you'll see. Where it allows for ports to be blocked or opened :)

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It's there, and I don't have nor ever had LimeWire installed (had it back in my 10.2 days, but I've been through a couple of clean installs since then).

Attached Files: