Apple Makes the Switch: iMac G5 vs. iMac Core Duo

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by superbovine, Jan 31, 2006.

1. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

My apologize if this a double post, but I couldn't find it.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    very interesting...

On the issue if the iTunes encoding, I believe a lot of the G5 speed comes from the fact that the program has been written and refined for the PPC chip with Altivec, and when it looses that, even with two Intel cores, it still doesnt run as fast as we would like it to.

The iWeb results were interesting as well. I guess they would have been written for Intel architecture and them compiled to PPC chips.

Looks like the switch to Intel was a positive one. And as time goes by, the results can only get better!
  3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    I wanna see where were at in a year or so to see if the switch will really pay off.
  4. bigfib macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2006
    Depending on the comparison you look at it already did pay off ;-)

Much more representative of how mine feels anyway (intel 17")
  5. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    I think after 2-3 years will give enough time for software developers to fully implement x86 software that takes full advantage of the hardware etc.
  6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

May 15, 2005

nice article, anandtech always does a nice thorough job!
  7. asencif macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    This was an awesome review and also shows that the iMac G5 at this moment is no slouch and great for most people. If Apple lowers it's price another $100 then it's an even better deal then now, especially if one has many apps not uni yet.