Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
It's not true that the privacy policies are the same and it's not true that Google maps is superior. Apple maps has gone a log way since the beginning and now it's a very good service.
It is 1000% true that Google Maps is superior. What the heck are you smoking to conclude otherwise?

rubino

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Apple maps still useless in Europe. We don't need flyover **** but useful things like public transport (that we all use in Europe) times etc. can't wait for a jailbreak so I can use google maps as default map app

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Google's streetview is infinitely more useful. I've never used flyover nor has anyone I know. It's stupidly pointless. I can understand some of the order things that Apple does, but not this. Is it cool, maybe to some. But Apple Maps on a whole are best left avoided in my experience.

And what's so bad about stupidly pointless? Without stupidly pointless comments, for example, MacRumors threads would be much shorter whenever Apple updates flyover.

Reactions: Luke MacWalker

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Google does not sell your information, it sells ad space. Giving anyone else access to this data would be incredibly dumb.

Yes, they create a profile of you based on all your metadata which includes your location history, and that is used by companies to show you targeted ads. Bottom-line is, Google has access to every place you've been, and will use that for whatever purpose they want. Do you trust Google to "don't do evil" with your personal data? I sure don't. And if they got hacked, everyone else would have that data also.

Apple cannot tie your location history to you. Locations are sent and used anonymously.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Google's streetview is infinitely more useful. I've never used flyover nor has anyone I know. It's stupidly pointless. I can understand some of the order things that Apple does, but not this. Is it cool, maybe to some. But Apple Maps on a whole are best left avoided in my experience.

I like and use both Street View and Flyover. But use them for different things.

When I'm in a new City, Flyover is great for getting a quick and dirty look around - more detailed than a flat map but way faster to navigate than Street View. It was great when I visited Rome 2 years ago - lots of winding alleys that look similar, Flyover helped a lot. Street View in this situation would be slow and annoying.

Street View is great when I have more time and want more detail. Pretty rare that I actually need it day to day but when I do it's really useful. When I bought my house I used it to check the surrounding streets.

I'm glad on iOS I have both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.