Apple Maps Traffic Data Expands to Singapore and Malaysia

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Maps has been updated with new traffic data in Singapore and Malaysia, providing users with real-time updates about vehicular traffic in the neighboring southeast Asia countries. As usual, highly congested areas will have orange or red dotted lines along the roads to indicate that drivers may face delays.

[​IMG]

Apple has yet to list Singapore or Malaysia under Apple Maps: Traffic on its iOS 9 feature availability website, but the page will likely be updated soon. Apple Maps traffic data is available in 30 other countries, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, South Africa, China, and most of Europe.

Article Link: Apple Maps Traffic Data Expands to Singapore and Malaysia

2. mohdamerul
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

3. Will do good
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Will do good

4. macduke
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

macduke

You think they lose a lot of planes now…

Sorry. It was too easy.

5. zzLZHzz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

6. adib
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

adib

Really what's more important would be indicators of people congestion in buses and subways as those are the primary mode of transport for most people in Singapore.

7. zzLZHzz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

while this is true but most people that take public transport do not really have a second choice. alternative route might not be much faster.

8. adib, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016

adib
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

adib

In Singapore there's usually a second choice of public transport. For example, there are three bus routes that goes from my place to the nearest train station, and three bus stops too.

9. zzLZHzz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

with the expanding train network, that is true. But i think it usually only works for matured town. For example, I stayed at sengkang, and my sch is in tampines, there is only 1 bus serving between the two town. an alternative will involve taking 3 different buses with a huge detour. That being such a hassle, i would rather just take a cab.

each switching of bus comes with additional waiting time that add up to quite some time.

10. wheelhot
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

I guess it's hard to know people congestion on busses as the data required is just not enough or reliable (feel free to enlighten me if you have a possible solution). Though perhaps as you mentioned, Apple could suggest the 3 bus routes so the user know that if he misses one (cause it's full or missed the bus), then there's still 2 more busses the user can take.

Haven't tried using Apple Maps for transit yet so this might already been implemented

11. zzLZHzz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

actually LTA did provide the crowd data for the buses, but it is currently unknown on the accuracy of it. there are simply too many factors affecting it. otherwise it would work.

12. paulyras
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Now if only we could get visual voicemail in Singapore. It was an original iPhone feature, but still not available on any carrier here?!?!

13. adib
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

adib

Anybody still use voicemail? I haven't used them since the Nokia era and prefer to disable it.

14. zzLZHzz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

nobody in my generation use it.