Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has been updated with comprehensive transit data for the Houston, Texas metropolitan area, enabling iPhone users in the city and select Harris County suburbs to navigate using public transportation, including METRO buses and METRORail. Amtrak also goes through Houston, as previously supported by Apple Maps.

apple-maps-houston-transit-2-800x450.jpg

Apple introduced Transit in Maps as part of iOS 9 in select cities around the world, including Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and over 300 cities in China. The feature has its own tab in Apple Maps on iOS 10 for entering directions.

apple-maps-houston-transit-1-800x450.jpg

Transit routing continues to expand to several other cities, including Atlanta, Columbus, Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Honolulu, Kansas City, Melbourne, Miami, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Montréal, Pittsburgh, Portland, Prague, Rio de Janeiro, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria.

Last month, Apple expanded transit directions throughout Great Britain, beyond the London area already supported. The feature now works almost anywhere in England, Scotland, and Wales, such as Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol, Portsmouth, Nottingham, and Cardiff.

NRG Stadium in Houston will play host to Super Bowl LI between the Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots on Sunday, February 5.

(Thanks, Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Provides Transit Directions in Houston Ahead of Super Bowl

DingeZ

macrumors member
May 3, 2016
Amsterdam
I was actually surprised Houston was released before New Orleans, but then again, I know barely anything about the superbowl, besides it being something big. New Orleans will likely be released in februari, with Phoenix and Detroit likely following soon.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
Great strategy if the implementation is right. Hundreds of thousands will descend on Houston and with a strong impression of the app, will use it when they get home

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
They keep upgrading Apple Maps which is great, but I can't use the application when I search for a specific chain restaurant or stores and it automatically points me to one 2000 miles away instead of one closest to me. This happens all the time. I actually prefer the layout and simplicity of the Apple Maps app but this one flaw ruins it for me.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
They keep upgrading Apple Maps which is great, but I can't use the application when I search for a specific chain restaurant or stores and it automatically points me to one 2000 miles away instead of one closest to me. This happens all the time. I actually prefer the layout and simplicity of the Apple Maps app but this one flaw ruins it for me.
Works good for me. I google what I'm looking for and then touch the address and boom instant directions.

risk235

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Houston is so big and spread out that our current mass transit system isn't sufficient

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.