Apple Market Share (2%,3%,4%,or5%??)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rebelberg21, Jun 25, 2003.

1. rebelberg21 macrumors newbie

I know Apple's Market share even on the most optimistic figures are only about 5%.

But is it just me or does it seem like for every big announcement for the past six months the "expert analysts" claim a smaller and smaller Market share #.

I first noticed this when the 12" and 17" PB were announced. Some writers claimed that the 4% Apple market share was shaky and still vulnerable. (at the time i was thinking....4%? i thought it was 5%?? .)

Then they next time i noticed this, when the iTunes music store and new iPods came out. Writers, etc; said the store is great....it's just too bad that only Apple's 3-3.5% market share can use it. ( 3%? i thought it was 4%??)

Then the G5, and last night on CNN, a CNET analyst explained the new G5 announcement and its possible impact. Then he stated how loyal apples 2-2.5% market share is.....(2%? i thought it was 3%?)

Now i know that it is possible to drop amount of users over time but I bet Apple has at least maintained their share during the past year if not gained. Now either the figures at the beginning of the year were overstated or 2-3% is the accurate figure. Or the envy PC experts like to pad the numbers a little...

Just an observation....Anyone else notice this

Sorry for not having more exact article references....i'll link to them in a reply

2. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Market Share(s)

I noticed that, too. I think some people use % of that year's computer sales and others use % of actual computers around.

I thought of this while reading another post: Why do people seem to care so much about Apple's market share? Increasing market share is that important? I kind of like having a niche product...as long as it works.

Squire

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

More optimistic, some mac sites look at the number and see even much higher numbers.

There are some mac sites that say the number is even higher, seriously.

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The percentage of Macintosh computers currently in service is approximately 11%. That is an entirely different measure from market share. Market share is the proportion of sales of a product by a particular brand.

Apple's market share for the 2002 fiscal year was probably around 3%, but I expect that number to increase dramatically now that we have a combination of Quark for X and the G5s. I bet that at least half a million G5s are sold by the end of September.

5. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    But, don't forget, 78.2% of statistics are made up on the spur of the moment!;)

6. primalman macrumors 6502a

That would be like 2-3 years of PMG4 sales. And i doubt that they could ramp up that quickly, one month of a new shipping products trounces 24 months.

I dunno.

7. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

How many beige G3 and B&W G3 owners are out there? How many PCI G4 owners? How many must-have-the-top-end owners? How many of them probably put their orders in the moment they could? How many will have their orders in by August?

Now, I'm not willing to suggest that we'll see two years of sales in one month, but one year of sales could easily be achieved.

8. blogo macrumors 6502

I hope someone does a statistic over how many macs are used today vs other computers

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I said they'd be sold, not that they'd be in the customers' hands.

You're probably right nevertheless, but it'd be fun to see 500,000 units sold, wouldn't it?

10. rebelberg21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Daveman Deluxe: Good info man.....I guess i never really understood the market share stuff totally....understanding it more now....thanks

11. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I'm curious as to why so many Mac people on this forum think Apple's suddenly going to take off as a result of the G5. For the sake of discussion, I'll segregate the potential market into a few broad groups:

-- Corporate buyers, i.e., companies, not individuals

-- Average-use consumers (family computer types)

-- Power-user consumers (gamers, techhies, etc.)

I don't see how whatever performance increase the G5 provides will enable Apple to make significant inroads into any of these groups. (I'm not being facetious; I TRULY am curious as to how Mac afficionados see the G5 shaking up the market).

1) I can't see corporate buyers electing to support two completely different hardware/OS platforms. And then there are the application software issues. Even MS Office doesn't work exactly the same on a Mac as it does on a PC (try using F4 to apply an absolute reference in Excel on a Mac), and there's a lot of PC software not available in a Mac version.

2) Mac's will remain too pricey for most average-use consumers, the ones buying the $1,000 - $1,500 Dells that come pre-loaded with application software and a decent service plan.

3) I can see some switchers in the power-user group, mostly in the audio-video area (which was my motive for buying my first and last Mac, a PowerBook G4 1ghz). I don't see gamers jumping on board since there are some popular games that never get ported to the Mac, and others that lag well behind their PC availability.

So, who outside the existing Mac community is going to come running after the G5. It seems to me the G5's biggest strength will be in keeping wavering Mac loyalists in the fold rather than attracting a lot of new market share.

BTW, I actually love my PowerBook (I just don't like Apple -- horrible customer service company IMHO).

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

There is a difference bewteen usage, which runs significantly higher.

Because macs last longer than PC's (this is true) the percent of macs that people use is much higher then 'Market Share'

13. Raiden macrumors regular

haha, great homer quote there! :)