Apple marketing and such

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derajfast, Nov 21, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

im trying to explain to my friend why the way apple releases products and does its marketing is effective and logical. he thinks that by saying you are going to announce a product before its ready creates a stir for it and makes people want it down the road......i brought up the osbourne effect..etc etc

anyone have any good articles on apple and how they create media frenzy and stuff like that?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't have any articles, but I remeber before some of the previous MacWorlds, Apple would have a countdown on their web site. They don't do that anymore, but it sure made everyone go crazy!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow...my friends have said the exact same things.

One thing I could think of saying is that not all Apple products really ship that day (ie: iPod Video shipped two weeks after special event).

You could also say; all people that care are on a site like MacRumors, therefore everyone knows about it early anyways. But we don't know exactly what it is, which makes us even more excited, than if Apple had just told us early.

Also, just say; "like it really matters either way, look at the iPods market share." - and then just leave it at that.

4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i agree, and i tihkn apple does it properly, but then he says "well if it works so well, why dont other companies do it too"

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Actually, most companies do it, but it's just not as publisized as Apple. For instance, Gillette announced the Mach 3 razor 3 months before it shipped, but it didn't make the news. A razor isn't exactly a "news-making item" like advances in technology by the company behind the iPod are.

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok but car manufacturers release plans, specs, features, desings for new cars almost a year before they hit the market

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Then again, car manufacturers release "2006" cars in "2005" - they are just all screwed up.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It's the crowd. We are all enthisiasts and are waiting for Apple to bring out new stuff and want it. It's a hype. You don't have that with a windows pc. There 50000000000 more manufacturers that have the exact same thing, so it's not new anymore, there is no hype.