Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
So, if Apple wants to stay away from Google and its products and services, I wonder why they upload their marketing videos to YouTube (user base of course) but not to other services they even support such as Vimeo?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Youtube is the "de facto standard" ? u probably don't see many integrating other services on websites, its all Google. no need to worry abut bandwidth.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
So, if Apple wants to stay away from Google and its products and services, I wonder why they upload their marketing videos to YouTube (user base of course) but not to other services they even support such as Vimeo?

Youtube has an audience of consumers who discover content so it's perfect for pushing marketing messages.

Vimeo video traffic tends to be driven by the publisher of the content through links and embeds. People typically don't land on Vimeo looking for videos to watch.

LordQ

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
That's what I thought, it just seems weird that they rely on the competition for presence rather than services they even integrate with their products. Ultimately, not all of us are fans of Google and YouTube and would prefer to land on other services such as Vimeo. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's what I thought, it just seems weird that they rely on the competition for presence rather than services they even integrate with their products. Ultimately, not all of us are fans of Google and YouTube and would prefer to land on other services such as Vimeo. ;)
The vast majority of the consumer base and those that they advertise to more than likely don't really even notice and/or care one way or another.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
This is the reason why:
Youtube has an audience of consumers who discover content so it's perfect for pushing marketing messages.

Vimeo video traffic tends to be driven by the publisher of the content through links and embeds. People typically don't land on Vimeo looking for videos to watch.

It's not weird at all that they are using a competitors services, it's not like they are against each other - Apple used to integrate YouTube and Google Maps into iOS, and it remains to be the default search engine in Safari. Apple Music is on Android, just like iTunes is on Windows. The majority of consumers are not against Google and YouTube as you seem to be. It is not like they are enemies, they are simply competitors that doesn't mean they can't use the others services.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is smart enough to understand, cutting out Google completely will only hurt themselves. Youtube a mentioned is the gold standard and that's where people first go when looking for videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.