Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple 2.0 blog points to new marketshare data from NetApplications showing that Apple's marketshare increased to 6.28% based on recent browser statistics:

The results are based on a survey of browser visits to some 40,000 URLs and break the stats down between non-Intel (4.29%) and Intel (2.09%) machines.

This represents a 2.05 percentage point increase from six months ago based on their previous data. While the numbers may not directly translate into actual marketshare, it does seem to represent a significant increase within the same dataset.

This information also comes on the heels of reports of 100% growth in Mac sales in January.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Pretty soon Apple will have at least 15 percent, i expect it to keep rising.

J Radical

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Good for apple, especially in the face of Vista.

There is obviously room for both operating systems now, OS X won't go away. As long as steve continues to deliver the goods people won't switch back.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Someday Apple will be king. Microsoft will lose.

Microsoft has the advantage of inertia. It will give up share begrudgingly for a decade or more. Even if Apple is better. The only way to break that dam is for Apple to become a fad in computers like they did in music players. Seems unlikely to me at this point, but Vista is pretty slow on the uptake, so it is still theoretically possible.

This data seems to indicate the Apple installed base is only something like 6.5% and other surveys I have seen not using web statistics seemed to show closer to 20%.

Rocketman

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Good. Maybe more websites will finally become mac/safari-compatible.
Ugh. I hate when I surf a site and they "helpfully" tell me that unless I use an outdated IE or Netscape with a Mac, I won't be able to see the site. :rolleyes:

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Wow, that's awesome! I think their marketshare will grow exponentially.

Once I got my computer that convinced essentially 3 others to go get MacBooks. If that keeps happening, things look great for Apple!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Ugh. I hate when I surf a site and they "helpfully" tell me that unless I use an outdated IE or Netscape with a Mac, I won't be able to see the site. :rolleyes:

You should report it to the webmaster for the site ;), I don't find any sites that i visit aren't Mac compatible.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
You should report it to the webmaster for the site ;), I don't find any sites that i visit aren't Mac compatible.
Well, it's just silly! I'm obviously navigating their silly site w/out a problem. Hmph.

And I haven't a clue how to contact a given webmaster. :eek: That and I'm too lazy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Someday Apple will be king. Microsoft will lose.

No, that will never happen and I doubt anyone at Apple wants it to happen.

Apple's whole business depends on ignoring the largest segment of the computer market. They ignore the entire low end. These are no $599 Apple notebooks and that's by design. You can't charge a premium price unless you have a premium product. Apple only sells at the high end where to margin is high. The bulk of the consumers will always buy basted on price and I doubt Apple wants to be the company with the cheapest product. I can see then ramping up to maybe as much as 15% in areas where they compete. But also they don't even try to get into the data centers or low end desktop markets.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey

Yeah, me neither, but then again I mostly surf mac rumor/news/apple.com websites :p The only sites I see that aren't mac compatible are a small portion of the games on miniclip.com

Congrads to :apple: on the increase in market share, I hope it keeps on going up

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Go to adult swim fix if you want to see a site that is not mac compatable! I really think the web statistics are skewed since most of the world is forced to us PC's at work. Man I really want to stream ATHF. The guys at at adult swim need a wake up call. Or at least some sort of campaign to make them change.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Apple is making huge strides in the consumer market and numbers like these are proving it. I just wish there was a way to accurately and truly break down these numbers between the corporate users (which are probably 98% on Windows) and the home consumer users (where Apple is truly making their impact).

I bet you'd find that Apple's US marketshare is in the double digits when it comes to those home consumer users. Because just like many people, I'm stuck with a Windows only PC at work, but I have nothing but Macs at home.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
What I thought was interesting was that the PPC numbers are steady on the graph at around 4% while the Macintel number climb from near zero to over 2 in the same period.

This would seem to indicate a rise in actual market share. If it was just due to people upgrading their existing system there would be a decline in the PPC numbers.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
The biggest benefit I see is more Applications being developed for OS X. If Apple could garner 10% to 20% of the market, more developers would build applications for the Macintosh. More business and professional applications as well as games. This would be awesome. Go! :apple:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
What I thought was interesting was that the PPC numbers are steady on the graph at around 4% while the Macintel number climb from near zero to over 2 in the same period.

This would seem to indicate a rise in actual market share. If it was just due to people upgrading their existing system there would be a decline in the PPC numbers.

I agree. The installed Apple base is either happy with OS8/9 on older machines (no Safari there) or, with versions of OSX on mid-range age hardware.

Switchers were attracted by intel chips that can run BOTH OS's. It makes sense the market share is additive, but what surprises me a bit is how skewed it is to new users. This indicates something I have said for more than a decade. Macs tend to have long lives on the order of 5+ years.

As such we might start to see substantial Mac userbase upgrading about 5 years after the first Intel release in about 1-06. So 1-2011. Mac users have inertia too.

OSX does run on G3's right?

Rocketman

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I was the first to switch out of anyone I know. I waited till after the WWDC(which I kind of regret cause I spent the summer with my crappy old boring computer but I have a september build macbook and no problems so i shouldnt complain) to see if I thought leopard was good or if it was going to be released. I got insanely sick of waiting and decided against the core 2 duo got mine in October. I have directly caused 1 macbook purchase and 1 other potencially. You can advertise out your ears, word of mouth helps heaps more.

I know some people are waiting for Leopard to switch, so I expect the #s to increase even more after it's released.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Yeah, me neither, but then again I mostly surf mac rumor/news/apple.com websites :p The only sites I see that aren't mac compatible are a small portion of the games on miniclip.com

Congrads to :apple: on the increase in market share, I hope it keeps on going up

I thought it was maybe how my flash was installed im glad im not the only one.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Browser Share is important in itself

Forget market share... browser share is extremely important.

Imagine you're a company that's developing a big web-based marketing campaign. Would you find it acceptable if the developers told you that more than 6% of your audience will not only be unable to access your site, but also will be offended in the process?

2% you might be able to ignore (if you're callus). Anything over 5% is undeniably important.

Now all web developers will be required to make Mac-compatible websites. The days of lazy developers who only test in IE are over.

(And P.S. that means that web developers need Macs to test on. It won't take them long to realize that a dual-boot Mac or one with Parallels or VMWare is their best option for a full-range testing platform.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.