Apple May Introduce 8GB iPhone 5s and Lower-Cost iMacs at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple may introduce a new 8GB iPhone 5s model for emerging markets and the much-rumored lower-cost iMac at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, according to a new research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo.
    Kuo notes that Apple may not announce the new 8GB iPhone 5s model on-stage at WWDC, but will possibly debut the phone around the same time.

In addition, Kuo predicts that a lower-cost iMac is likely to debut as well, following up his earlier report and rumors that were fueled after shipping estimates for the machine began to slip in Apple's Online Store. Earlier today, references to new iMac models appeared in OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 beta before it was pulled from the Mac App Store and Developer Center.

Finally, Kuo notes that if Apple does in fact launch a smart home software platform that it will likely involve iCloud, iBeacons and Airplay. Both iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 are expected to debut at the conference as well.

WWDC 2014 will kick off on June 2 with a keynote address from CEO Tim Cook at 10 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: Apple May Introduce 8GB iPhone 5s and Lower-Cost iMacs at WWDC

2. macrumors regular

8GB is barely enough to hold the OS and 5 of the most popular apps. Time to go 16/64/128 Apple. It costs them pennies to add that much storage. Having an 8GB phone these days is just insulting.

3. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

The cheaper iMac I get, yeah that's great and all...

But an 8GB 5S? My friend's 16 Gig is almost full, and he has almost nothing on the phone. Hell, even my 64GB is feeling cramped with the size of apps these days.

With the iPhone 5C in existence - my only question is WHY.

4. macrumors regular

AstronomyiPhone

When will people stop saying this every time an article mentions "8GB xxx"?

5. macrumors regular

When it stops being true.

6. losthorse, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

macrumors member

7. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Having a device that can only record video in 1080p (unless you use a 3rd party app) with 8 GB storage doesn't make sense. The very first iPhone came in an 8 GB model and that's when there was no 3rd party app store or video recording functionality.

8. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Serious question, what's the difference in wholesale cost between 8GB and 16GB? 50 cents? A dollar? And this will miraculously allow the phone to be priced so it can be sold in emerging markets?

9. macrumors regular

iSteve-O

They just dropped 3 billions. They need to cut down costs somehow.

10. B4U
    macrumors 6502

B4U

So, those emerging markets are not falling for the garbage 8GB 5C, so that they are making the 8GB 5S?

When will this stupidity / insanity end?

11. macrumors 65816

You'll be googling for HOW TO UNINSTALL UBUNTU FROM MY MAC before the nite is done. But hey, have fun!

12. macrumors 68040

boshii

If you don't need it don't buy it. The bigger options are still there. Geez.

13. macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

I barely have enough room on my 64GB... And that's with media split between it and my iPad.

That said, I don't see a use for it myself. But for someone who wants the high end device without a ton of wasted space, I guess it works out.

14. macrumors regular

Rychiar

why the hell is the memory still the factor in a $100 difference in apple product prices. the difference in cost between memory amounts in negligible at the sizes they are. 8gb is just about worthless unless you never plan to shoot photos, add music, or download apps. hell 16 is too little memory for these things to work right with average use:rolleyes:

15. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Haha Apple will not be announcing any iOS hardware at a WWDC. If they do sell an 8 GB 5S it will be a quiet launch like they did with the 5C overseas.

16. macrumors regular

It's actually a little more true for the 5s, since it's holding universal binaries (32/64 bit ARM) of all the libraries apps use.

17. macrumors 6502

16GB gold iPhone 5s here. 500+ songs, 1000+ photos, 54 apps, 1GB occupied by Messages, and still a couple gigabytes to spare. That's not "almost nothing" by any measure.

18. macrumors 6502a

Hey Apple! Want to boost iPhone sales? Quit teasing and announce the 6!

Seriously, that seems more likely to come at WWDC than cheaper iMacs of which we've heard nothing up to this point. At least the iPhone 6 has had some hefty leaks, as doubtful a June announcement seems.

19. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Bring back the 17-inch iMac, and I'm there. :D

But no thanks to the 8GB iPhone 5S. My mom has managed with her 8GB iPhone 4, but I could never go back to a device with that small of space again unless you stuck a MicroSD in there.

20. macrumors 603

apolloa

Cheaper iMac's.... hmmm interesting...

But how can they make it cheaper? Please no core i3, perhaps a slower clocked i5? Smaller hard drive? The cheapest iMac already uses Intel integrated graphics too.

21. macrumors 603

So, is the lower capacity iPhone going to be a "running trend" or something ?

They've already done with with the 5c, but that's low cost anyway, somewhat.

This is probably going after those people that want TouchID, but can't afford the 16Gig version.

(Cheaper iMacs...... ummmm Macs..) How low can u go ? Soon you will probably find there is basically no difference between the price of the mac mini and the "low cost imac"

Gee, i wonder where that money came from :rolleyes:

When Apple closes one window, Tim opens another

22. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

i would think the 5C is the low-cost device...unless they want the Touch ID on every future device?

23. macrumors 6502a

Cool.. I'm excited for both.

A lot of people only use Whatsapp on their phone (most of my aunts). I think an 8gb is fine for them. I'm sure they'll be happy to upgrade their 16GB 4S to an 8GB 5S.

24. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Cheaper iMacs....

Ok Apple....now I'm listening

25. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

I would like to see a new cheaper iMac but i wish it will have a disc drive but we all know that won't happen :(