Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Remember when Steve Jobs came back, one of the things he did was kill off a bloated and confused product line?

I'd crop the iOS lineup down

I absolutely agree. To me, Apple is becoming a contradiction. They famously focus on making their products as minimalist as possible. But their retail strategy is beginning to drift back to the Sculley years of bloat.

And the 8 GB 5c just baffles me. How can Apple think it's going to be even remotely useable? Once a customer installs all of Apple's free software at the prompt (iMovie, iWork, etc.), the device will be filled! :confused:

rweston002

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
USA
So many voices

More evidence that Apple is failing to innovate.

Sarcasm? Maybe?

Is this getting rid of the 30-pin connector or getting rid of the A5?

As a side note, what difference is there in A5 chip/hardware between the iPad Mini that gets airdrop and transparent UI and the iPad 2 that gets neither? And the iPod Touch 5 that gets airdrop and the iPhone 4S that doesn't?

From what I've read, as far as airdrop support, it's the wi-fi chipsets support of wifidirect (or something like that, http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/25/broad...wer-2013s-ipad-and-iphone-to-gigabit-5g-wifi/) that allows airdrop functionality. Apparently, an upgraded chipset, which made its way into the iPad Mini, but not the iPad 2; a speculation partially supported by the mini's support for Bluetooth 4.0 and the iPad 2's support for only BT 2.1 - research? As for the 4s, and transparent UI between the 2 iPads, that is curious. I wonder if they're using the same exact A5. Indications are that they are, and with the two having the same resolution, that is 'weird'...

How about a Mac mini refresh tommrow ?? Anyone anyone ?

That would be nice. Starting to think the mini might go the way of the x server, but I'd think the Mac mini has a lot larger audience than the x server..

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Looks more and more like A5 devices won't get iOS 8 upgrade which saddens me

Why? All A5 devices have received a huge number of OS upgrades versus what the Android users get. I think when iOS 8 drops it will be a good time for all of these people to buy into the new devices to take advantage of all the capabilities of the new technology.

msgkar03

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Peas and rice.

Remember when Steve Jobs came back, one of the things he did was kill off a bloated and confused product line?

The iPhone comes in three models, the iPad (if this rumour is to be considered true) comes in five. Both use two different types of connector and the price difference between some iPad models is minimal, with the addition of the 8GB 5C, this is likely to be the case again.

Not to mention the frankly useless non-retina MacBook Pro… I think some serious pruning is needed.

I'd crop the iOS lineup down to the Retina iPad Mini and Air (renamed iPad), 5S and 5C (possibly branded as iPhone and iPhone C) and iPod Touch (going up to 128GB)

But that is just my personal opinion.

LostAndDamned, I really do agree with your post. The product lines are becoming almost 'too' robust , making it hard for some new adopters(and even some current users) to differentiate between what is old and what is current.

These are my proposed changes (some of which are in line with what LostAndDamned said
Let me know what y'all think

iPhone changes:
- iPhone
- iPhone C
- iPhone S
(currently iPhone 5/5c/5s, respectively, Discontinue the 4/4s)

Pad changes:
- iPad (drop the 'Air' from the name)
- iPad mini
- iPad max

(Notice the pattern? 3 models of each line)

MacBook changes:
- MacBook Pro 13/15/17* (I wish)
- MacBook Air 11/13/15* (again)
- MacBook 11*/13*/15* (yeh I said it, bring back the lower budget MacBook and give it some colors like the iPhone 5c)

Everything else.... Meh, who cares lol.

* does not exist 'yet'

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
"Apple has presumably opted to keep the iPad 2 in its lineup because of its position as the last Apple tablet using a 30-pin adapter..."

The ipad 3 had a 30-pin adapter as well...

rweston002

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
USA
I absolutely agree. To me, Apple is becoming a contradiction. They famously focus on making their products as minimalist as possible. But their retail strategy is beginning to drift back to the Sculley years of bloat.

And the 8 GB 5c just baffles me. How can Apple think it's going to be even remotely useable? Once a customer installs all of Apple's free software at the prompt (iMovie, iWork, etc.), the device will be filled! :confused:

There definitely does seem to be some bloat, but it *seems* as though they're just taking time to phase things out. Especially in this economy, and with all the complaints about there no longer being a cd-rom in the MacBooks, they phased in the retina.

I wouldn't be surprised if all non retina devices were phased out this year alongside all non-lightning devices. What they should also do (IMO) is phase out all 8GB iOS devices! But currently, if they release an 8GB 5c, it'll just (probably) be replacing the 8GB 4s, which isn't a bad replacement. They can again optimize iOS to leave more room available on that device and the people who buy those devices (probably) normally aren't normally concerned with space (I would think). If they enjoy the 8GB device enough to take tons (the small 'tons' they can) of photos or download lots of music, they probably will turn into users who'll by a larger capacity iOS device.

I do think that 32GB should be the minimum which would get rid of one more configuration option, but a lot of people still get by with 16 GB. And with there being so many users around the world who'll be using iOS devices for the first time, 16 GB, in some markets will probably be more than enough.

Looking at mixpanel though, and all the users currently on earlier iOS 7.x, I do wonder how many of them are not upgrading because of lack of space.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
"Apple has presumably opted to keep the iPad 2 in its lineup because of its position as the last Apple tablet using a 30-pin adapter..."

The iPad 3 didn't run as well as the 2. The retina screen on the 3 slowed it down too much. The iPad 3 was the last 30 pin iPad, but the iPad 2 was the last good one.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
iPad 4C to be introduced with much fanfare!

Slipped past the leakers because it looks like a Chinese knock-off.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I don't see where apple would benefit from a 8gb 5c other than 4s and 4th gen iPad over the 2nd gen but it benefits us so I'm ok with it.

Apple can save money by shutting down the 4s product lines and stop using all the unique parts it uses. With the focus on 5c and 5s it will simplify the supply chain, and factory floor.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Damn. If tomorrow's suspicions are true, the only 30-pin dock connector product left will be the iPod classic. I really hope they don't discontinue it and tomorrow isn't their push to drop 30-pin altogether.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

But iPad 3 isn't being sold anymore, while iPad 2 is still part of Apple's lineup.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"Apple will launch products in new categories and the company is working on "really great stuff", according to an interview with CEO Tim Cook in The Wall Street Journal this evening.

He demurred when asked about specific possible products, but said anyone "reasonable" would consider Apple's upcoming products to be in new categories."

Ah yeah, the all new iPad 4.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Ya, I don't get that sentiment either.....

It's not some new product introduction or attempt at innovation. Simply Apple has likely sold off enough of their iPad 2 and iPhone 4S inventory and their doing a line revamp - getting rid of all 30-pin devices.

Why not be happy about this? Essentially, they'll replace the 4S at the $0/$450 price point with the 5C and the iPad 2 at the $399/$529 price point with the iPad 4.

Again....why so much hate? B-words be crazy.....

I guess some people just have a case of the mondays

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I'm looking forward to picking up an iPad 4 for $299 at Walmart once they go on sale.

I know this sounds strange, but I actually prefer the form factor of the iPad 4 over the iPad Air.

But hey, I also think the iPhone 4/4S was the best iPhone design.

I guess I have a thing for fours.

$299???? The 1st gen mini is still $299. Haven't you been around to know Apple won't do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.