Apple may take Woolworths to court over similar logo

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 4, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Apple may take Woolworths to court over similar logo
    Description:: Apple is known for vigorously defending its intellectual property, and while some might claim that it often takes things too far, from Apple's perspective, it often doesn't have much of a choice.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. macrumors 65816

MadGoat

While I disagree that they look alike, apple still has to try and pursue it.

4. macrumors G4

Chundles

They have no choice, they MUST defend their trademarks.

My Mum saw the similarity so there's definitely something there.

5. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I read this in the paper and it's absolutely ridiculous. I can understand companies defending their corporate identity but it really goes too far sometimes. A few years back virgin was suing a band in australia for having virgin in their name.

7. macrumors G4

Chundles

They MUST defend their trademarks, it not something they just decide to do, if they don't do it they lose it.

8. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Bollocks they don't have to do anything. I've got no love for woolworths but I do hope apple gets some seriously bad PR in this case.

9. macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Wasn't there a 1978 lawsuit that Apple Corps brought against Apple Computer for trademark infringement? Kettle, meet Pot.

10. macrumors newbie

Dafrety

So after this then I can totally expect Apple Inc. to sue Apple Corps next because they use an Apple as their logo right? Then after that Apple Inc. is going to get sued by McDonalds, because they copyrighted Big Mac and Apple calls their computers Macs. :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

1 - Apple Corps existed for an entire decade before Apple Inc, so for Apple Inc to sue them would be absurd.
    2 - There's already been decades-long legal battles between Apple Corps and Apple Inc, reinvigorated after Apple Inc launched the iTunes Store as it was believed this was a huge violation of a previous settlement between the companies.
    3 - The matter was finally settled only a couple years ago, with Apple Corps 'leasing' the term 'Apple' from Apple Inc. Quite absurd if you ask me considering, as I said above, Apple Corps existed long before Apple Inc.

12. macrumors P6

Peace

Apple,Inc. won the lawsuit with Apple Corp. and gave Apple Corp. the right to use the logo.

But I digress even though to me at least the Wollworths logo looks a lot like Apple's logo. Especially the part with the little stem on top.

13. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They didn't really "win" - it was a settlement as opposed to a court's ruling.

14. macrumors 6502a

Rivix

This kind of pisses me off as a graphic designer, even if its the layers who start this BS.

15. macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

There have been multiple lawsuits. I think Peace was referring to the 2006 lawsuit in the UK where the courts ruled in favor of Apple Computer's right to use the Apple name/logo in connection with the newly launched online music store. Previous lawsuits, however, had ended in settlements.

16. macrumors 6502a

windywoo

This is ridiculous but not surprising. I hope the judge spits in the face of whichever legal genius though this up.

17. macrumors 604

anjinha

Do you ever use punctuation?

18. macrumors 68020

pdxflint

They could just take that stem-y looking thing off of it, and it would make more sense as a 'W' and not look like it's trying to subliminally suggest something else... like a fruit, maybe? With that stem-y looking thing, when one just glances at the shape, it's reminiscent of the apple logo until you look at it. That's too similar, if I were Apple, especially if they go into electronic products. Just get rid of the 'stem' and they should be fine, unless they take a chunk out of the right side of that 'W.'

19. macrumors member

must be nice to own the image of an apple, Apple.

20. macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

21. macrumors member

apple1984

As I understand it, one of the prerequisites for litigating a trademark is the substantial likelihood of consumers confusing the two brands. While I understand that Apple has to protect their trademarks, there's literally no chance of people mistaking Woolworth's clothes, accesories, and such for Apple-related electronics.

22. macrumors G3

bigandy

I don't agree that it looks that similar, but I do agree a company should be seen to at least attempt to pursue every possible infringement of intellectual property.

:D

23. macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I can see the resemblance of the two logos (little 'stalk' at the top of the Woolies logo), but that's really nothing to argue about in court IMO. I do my grocery shopping at Woolworths and I have never thought to compare the Apple logo with the Woolworths logo.

24. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

They're nothing alike, other than they're both apples.

So no other company or entity can use an apple icon/motif?

I think I should register the attached as my company motif. Then perhaps I can prevent anyone using a person logo/motif in their advertising, thus confusing the consumer between our two companies... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 65816