Apple 'Messed Up' with Retail Store Cutbacks, Denies Mass Layoffs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following our report from earlier this week regarding word from Apple retail store sources of cutbacks and layoffs, Dow Jones Newswires now shares word that Apple has acknowledged that it "messed up" in adjusting its staffing formulas, although the company denies mass layoffs at its stores.
    [​IMG]

Despite Apple's claims that "no one was laid off", we have indeed heard from several Apple employees who have been laid off in recent weeks, with several of them independently claiming that there have been others, although some have called the moves "isolated" while others have characterized them as "many". ifoAppleStore reported yesterday that the cutbacks were made by Browett in an effort to meet profit goals and encourage the "bloated" store staffs to run "leaner", despite the objections of retail veterans within the company.

We did receive an unconfirmed report yesterday claiming that at least some stores held meetings addressing the issue, with promises that the cut hours would be restored and a phone call from Apple's corporate offices apologizing for the situation. It was unclear, however, exactly which employees were included in those meetings.

This is the second high-profile acknowledgment of a "mistake" on Apple's part in recent weeks, with Apple just last month having backpedaled on removing its products from the EPEAT environmental registry. In that case, Apple senior vice president Bob Mansfield posted an open letter apologizing for the company's error.

Article Link: Apple 'Messed Up' with Retail Store Cutbacks, Denies Mass Layoffs

2. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, they can count on those hours coming back with new iPhones, iPod touches and maybe iPad minis coming. Don't count out mac pros and iMacs either. Could be a busy holiday.

3. macrumors Core

miles01110

Just like they "messed up" removing themselves from EPEAT? It'd be nice to see them use a different excuse once in a while.

4. FNi
    macrumors member

John Browett's first cock-up. How many more before Apple finds out what everyone in the UK knew all along?

5. macnerd93, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

macrumors 6502a

He won't rein long :D With a cockup like this. To me, it looks totally unprofessional, if the Apple VP team went into any Currys, PCWorld or Comet they could see his god awful retail experience first hand.

6. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Interesting... I always love to see Apple admit their wrong-doings, though. Shows a lot.

7. macrumors 65816

great job Mr John Browett, great job...

this guy is a genius

Apple really needed a talent like him... :rolleyes:

thank God, Steve Jobs is no longer here to see that...

8. macrumors member

(typo report: "acknowledged that it 'messed up' it adjusting"

should be "'messed up' IN adjusting")

What's the right way to point out typos here?

9. macrumors 65816

parish

Yep, my first thought too!!

10. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

At least they're consistent. ;)

11. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Having worked some retail back in the day, they probably did just mess up - especially since someone new took over. A lot of VP's would never pen a letter saying they messed up.

I'd rather have them say they messed up then stand by bad decisions.

12. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Thanks...fixed. :)

13. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

It takes a lot of courage for a large company to admit to an error and to apologize.

Kudos Apple!:apple:

14. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Email tips@macrumors.com to reach all the writers.

15. macrumors 603

bedifferent

John Browett will become one of the worst hiring decisions of the most crucial aspect to Apple's structure: retail. Apple retail store's are the face of the company; placing John Browett at the helm is tantamount to placing a former Lehman Brothers executive as CFO.

16. macrumors 68040

KdParker

good for those apple employees. If you are working in retail, apple seems like a good company to do it for.

17. macrumors regular

Let me borrow something many of you use about apple products,

If its not broken why "fix it"?

Now we know who apple's own Balmer is:D

18. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

19. macrumors regular

Indeed. Second mess up in a very short time. If they really come out with the small dock connector that will be number three.

20. macrumors 6502a

I wonder who actually had the courage to comment on the staffing mess up? I'm betting it wasn't John Browett like what the article claims. It would have been some old skool long time employee.

21. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

22. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

What else are you expecting above them admitting a mistake? They didn't say it was an error or some other error beyond their direct control. They admitted fault.

23. macrumors 6502a

MrNomNoms

I've got a better idea, hire back those who were laid off and fire the guy John Browett - it is clear he doesn't know what the hell he is doing. There is a reason why the likes of Currys, PCWorld or Comet were happy to see the back of him.

Edit: Years of experience doing something doesn't mean you're good at it - I played piano for 5 years, it doesn't mean I'm actually any good at it.

24. macrumors 6502

I'd rather them tell me they messed up than to deny all fault. Just look at antenna gate. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often though

25. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

In the meetng Johns puts up a chart showing the cuts in retail help, investors show worry ontheir face.
    John pauses and flips the chart around and the chart now shows an increase in retail help, investors cheer and go back counting their millions.

Obviously he was holding the chart wrong