Apple mini-DVI to DVI adapter gender ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ImageCreator, May 29, 2006.

1. ImageCreator macrumors newbie

Hi all, just ordered a Macbook and the mini DVI to DVI adapter to go along with a 20" Viewsonic external monitor. My question is what gender DVI cable will I need ? Does the apple adapter have a female DVI port ? I want to make sure I order the proper cable. The one I am looking at is male DVI-D to male DVI-D. Will this work for me ? Also, what is the difference between single link DVI and dual link DVI and which would I require ? Thanks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

EDIT: Where I say "the cable that came with your monitor" and words to that effect I presume that a DVI cable is supplied with your monitor. If it's just a VGA cable and you need to order a DVI cable then the male DVI/male DVI cable you mention should be just fine.

The Apple adapter is a male mini-DVI and a female DVI so the DVI cable that came with your monitor will work just fine.

Dual-link DVI is like having two DVI cables enclosed within one cord with a single adapter at each end. To the untrained eye it looks like a regular DVI cable but the plugs have some minor differences - they are the same shape and size but there are more pins. Dual-link DVI is the only way to provide enough grunt to run high-resolution (2560x1600 like the ACD HD 30"). Your 20" display will most likely be 1600x1200 if it's 4:3 or 1600x1050 if it's a widescreen model and for that size, regular DVI will be fine.

Sooo, to recap:

- you will be able to plug your existing monitor cable into the Apple miniDVI -> DVI adapter.
    - you only need regular DVI to connect your monitor. Dual-link is only required for the big muthas, the Apple or Dell 30" LCDs.

3. ImageCreator thread starter macrumors newbie

perfect ! exactly the information I was hoping for. Thank you

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

DVI-D is pure digital. If your monitor has a DVI input then all you'd need is the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and the DVI cable that comes with the monitor.

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Sweet, I'm buying the 19 inch for my 12" PB then next week!

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

DVI & mini DVI

Since this thread is talking about DVI, I would like to ask the following questions:
    1. What is the main difference between DVI (MPB/PB) and mini DVI port (found on MB/12" PB), except for the size difference? Is Mini DVI just s shrunk form of the regular DVI port?
    2. If you hook up your notebook computer via DVI or mini DVI every day and disconnect when you take your notebook away from the desk on the daily basis, does the DVI / mini DVI port wear out, like getting loose connection?