Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jota73, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2006
    South America

I bought the Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter pretending to connect a wireless camera (X10) I have tried several ways with no luck.
    1.Is i t possible to connect this over my iMac and check what is transmiting?
    2. How do I connect my VHS so that I can record old movies on my mac? Do I need any software? or any other requirement, other than having the adapter?

thanks for your valuable help

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    The adapter is for OUTPUTTING video from the DVI-out on the iMac and converting it to composite/s-video so you can watch it on a TV. It is not for inputting video from a device to the iMac. The DVI port on the iMac outputs video, it does not receive video signals.

To input video from a device to your iMac you need to either plug the camera in via Firewire or use an analogue -> digital converter. With such a converter you would plug the red/yellow/white analogue cables into the converter (a small box) and then the converter would plug into the iMac via Firewire.

You can't use the mini-DVI -> composite/s-video adapter to input video signals from a device into an iMac. It is purely for connecting the iMac's video output to a TV that doesn't have a VGA or DVI input.
  3. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    The adapter is for video OUT, not video IN. You need to get a device that can receive video and convert it to either USB or Firewire. Most camcorders can do this job, as well as various TV tuners out there, such as EyeTV, or a analog converter.

EDIT: Beaten!
  4. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    You'll need some type of analogue to digital convertor for this. I do it with my Canon digital camcorder, but there are many other cheaper solutions out there. The quality of the digital signal output to your iMac will vary depending on the quality of the convertor. Most likely, the video will be transfered to your iMac via a firewire connection. I don't have experience with any devices other than my camcorder, so I'll let someone else recommend something specific.
  5. wonkamas macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2007
    So you can go through your camcorder to input old analog videos?

Are you saying that you can use your camcorder as the go between from your old videos (vcr, old camcorder) to input into your computer via firewire?

6. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    Yes, that's exactly it. I connect the VCR/old camcorder to the digital camcorder (that has a built in A->D converter), then connect the digital camcorder to the Mac via firewire.