Apple Mistakenly Sending Out OS X Server Replacement Up-to-Date Codes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Yesterday, we noted that Apple's Up-to-Date program allowing recent Mac purchasers to receive free upgrades to OS X Mountain Lion was experiencing some early hiccups, with users receiving Mac App Store redemption codes that were registering as invalid. Customer support representatives were advising users that Apple was aware of the issue and would be automatically issuing replacement codes but that the process could take up to three days.

[​IMG]

While many of these replacement codes are already coming through, users today have begun reporting that Apple is mistakenly sending out codes for the OS X Server components of Mountain Lion rather than Mountain Lion itself.
    At least half a dozen users have reported the same problem, with the issue presumably affecting a much greater number of users receiving codes today. One user who called Apple about the issue was advised to file another request through Apple's uptodatesupport@apple.com support mechanism.

OS X Server is also available through the Up-to-Date program, but is limited to users who purchased server models of the company's Mac Pro and Mac mini lines.

Article Link: Apple Mistakenly Sending Out OS X Server Replacement Up-to-Date Codes

2. macrumors 6502a

TC400

Wow they really have been having issues with this whole program! hope they get it fixed!

3. macrumors member

Well at least I now have a copy of OS X Server. Too bad it won't run without ML. And the waiting game begins anew.

4. macrumors 6502a

Steve never would've let this happen!:apple:

5. macrumors 65816

Wow, what a complete and total screw up by apple

6. Guest

Where's the down vote when you need it? :rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

:eek::eek::eek:

8. macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I think Apple's history of releases might not coincide with that belief.

9. macrumors member

Looks like Apple's codes department recently hired the Marx Brothers

10. macrumors regular

Still waiting for my first code over here..

Won't pay out of principle. They should not earn more money by crippling their promised upgrade program. That's not teaching them a lession for the next time..

11. macrumors G3

Apple needs to rethink their up-to-date strategy. Why require a redemption code at all? Software update and the App Store already know what Mac you have. Just push the new OS to eligible machines.

12. macrumors newbie

Pretty sure the Apple "UpToDate program" is just a macro that sends your request directly to the server trashbin.

MBPR request is 28 hours and counting.

13. macrumors 601

Prof.

Oh JOY! I'm this close to just buying ML. I have 10.50 credit from the Back to School promotion.

14. macrumors member

Maybe it would get their attention if I returned my computer.

15. macrumors regular

Still Waiting for mine

I am still waiting for my code. Put in the request yesterday at 4:30pm... Hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I am not getting a good feeling that they will make it on time.

16. macrumors member

dbyway

They're probably seeing how many suckers they can get to just buy it because they're not making money off us... :rolleyes:

17. macrumors newbie

Sounds like they're screwing up big time with the up-to-date program. I have yet to receive my code and it's been over the initially quoted 24 hours.

18. macrumors 6502a

mr.steevo

Maybe not.

19. macrumors 6502

At least they weren't sending codes for Windows 7.

20. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

True, but it wouldnt assigned to your apple ID purchased history! You actually need a redeem code for it to remember in your apple ID history.

21. macrumors 6502

I bought it last night. I am going to ask for a refund once I get my code.

:D

22. macrumors 68020

kazmac

... in a Shaw Brothers 70s Wu Xia with Ti Lung
    Hope these folks get their proper copy

Wow, hope these folks get their proper copy of ML.

Apple seems to drop the ball when it comes to software launches through the Mac App store - I seem to remember something wonky with Lion as well.

I guess if/when I get another Mac, I'll definitely wait until both the hardware kinks are worked out and the most up-to-date OS is installed.

This is an unfortunate indicator that patience is a good thing when it comes to technology.

23. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

They just want to make the people getting it for free have to wait as long as possible so they get fed up and just spend the $20

24. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I put mine in yesterday at 11:30am (Eastern), so it's been about 25 hours. Still nothing.

25. macrumors 68020

Haven't been around that long, have you?