Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NDRes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
I came across something peculiar today with my first day of trying Apple Music out.

I have a number of devices with different operating systems. With Spotify, although there is a standard limit on the number of devices able to play content simultaneously, each device is essentially capable of not only playing the tracks, but also arranging them.

Meanwhile, with Apple Music (which I largely have enjoyed thus far), I seem to be limited by how many machines are tagged with my Apple ID. When I have reached my 5 machine limit, I am still able to play Apple Music tracks and playlists, however, I am unable to create playlists. I haven't seen what else this limitation impacts, but I am absolutely surprised at what I experienced.

What's the point of having a streaming music subscription service if I do not have the flexibility to play music on whatever device is capable of utilizing the service? Spotify does not treat me with such suspect motivations and costs just as much.

Is this a bug, some sort of overlooked issue, was this intentional? Am I mistaking one step for another?

Last edited:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Isn't the 5-machine limit only towards your local library and items bought through the iTunes Store? I've reached my 5-machine limit a long time ago because I've switch Mac-computers, re-installed Windows and whatnot and the activation limit does not take into account your hardware, so if you go by and simply re-install your machine and login with your Apple ID it will count as yet another activation even though it's the very same system you activated a few months back.

But I'm still able to use Apple Music, create playlists and what not on devices that have never been activated towards the 5-machine limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.