Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
just as I feared, if you already have an album on iTunes Match and you go to download it from Apple Music is downloads it twice

wow

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
just as I feared, if you already have an album on iTunes Match and you go to download it from Apple Music is downloads it twice

wow

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If the album is in the cloud, and you click to download it, it will download each track twice?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Hm, doesn't do that for me. If I tap on a matched album, it just gives me the option to Remove From My Music.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Hm, doesn't do that for me. If I tap on a matched album, it just gives me the option to Remove From My Music.

If I select Chronic --> make offline, then it downloads the Apple Music version and the iTunes Match version I already have

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010

wow

You're right, so far its a mess. An example I have:

Alabama Shakes had a free single when their most recent album came out. I legit "purchased" that song for free and added it to my iTunes Match collection. Now, with the free trial of Apple Music. I have to remove this item from my library to be able to add the whole album the single is found on to my Apple Music library (ie. it's not smart enough to see that I only have one track, not all 12 tracks in my library).

The thing is, if I remove the iTunes Match version from my collection, next time I sync my Nano or classic guess what? That file will be removed from those devices as I've now moved the file from iTunes Match to Apple Music and Apple Music doesn't support iPods.

This is exactly what I feared going into today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.