Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Exactly. And it removes the pressure of having a crowd line up for hours to get in — if there are only 45 minutes worth of announcements, no need to pad it out to 2 hours just to make everyone feel like they got their money’s worth.
Indeed. Show me the product, give me the spec facts, and tell me what the product can do today, not what it might do in 6 months to a year from now. Keep it short and simple. I have cheering and everything in between on MR to see. lol

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Someone can please, nicely explain to me how Spatial Audio is not a gimmick like iPhone parallax effect.

1. I understand that if you are watching a video and you move you head, the source of the sound keeps "static" so you can artificially get the sensation of being in a theater and turn your head towards the left, right or back speakers. Amazing. Question, how many times a regular person would be turning the head just to perceive this effect?

2. Spatial audio for Apple Music is a mystery to me...do I need to keep looking at the iPhone to perceive the channels in the original order? I don't get it...If a put the iPhone on my pants pocket, I will perceive all the sound coming mostly from one side of my head?

Reactions: SRLMJ23

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Not really. You need gyroscopes in the headphones, so only Apple ones with them.
No gyro needed since there is no head tracking needed with Music. With video you are tracking how audio is reproduced in a relation with the screen. With Music that would be terribly disorienting. Apparently spatial audio for Apple Music will therefore be available with any headphone.

It’s interesting to see how many songs/albums in the beginning Apple has mastered in Spatial Audio / Dolby Atmos.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I also wonder whether they will announce a Music, Podcasts and TV app for Windows. I don’t know whether a big update is needed on the Windows apps to support things like lossless and podcast subscriptions on Windows. There were job postings for UWP apps a while back and there are rumours that there have been private betas of the Windows Store. I think the main thing with be Apple showcasing producers and albums to showcase spatial audio.

I would also like Apple Music to improve playlists, but maybe that will come in the iOS 15 announcement on Monday.

Matrix1776

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2020
I usually just watch wwdc to see what’s coming, but this time I set aside $6,000. I really hope they don’t disappoint as I literally have an empty desk. I sold it all in anticipation of this event updating its MBP, and ‘maybe’ giving us the 30” iMac. If so, I’ll take both. I won’t go 27, so I hope they made the right decision to upsize.

I can’t imagine they’ll make us wait until Fall and dip into the iPhone 13’s realm.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Someone can please, nicely explain to me how Spatial Audio is not a gimmick like iPhone parallax effect.

1. I understand that if you are watching a video and you move you head, the source of the sound keeps "static" so you can artificially get the sensation of being in a theater and turn your head towards the left, right or back speakers. Amazing. Question, how many times a regular person would be turning the head just to perceive this effect?

2. Spatial audio for Apple Music is a mystery to me...do I need to keep looking at the iPhone to perceive the channels in the original order? I don't get it...If a put the iPhone on my pants pocket, I will perceive all the sound coming mostly from one side of my head?
Not really. You need gyroscopes in the headphones, so only Apple ones with them.
Incorrect. Apple's spatial audio for video content (movies/tv) is only supported on a few models such as the AirPods Pro because it requires realtime head-tracking in relation to the screen/device.

Dolby Atmos Music, although technically "spatial audio" is not TRACKED spatial audio and therefore works on ANY HEADPHONE. Really.
The real issue is which devices can utilize Dolby Atmos Music -- currently, apple's website says iPhone 7 and above along with some iPads and Macs.

There should be a few support articles up tomorrow that clarify this stuff. They were taken down earlier this week with no content available to read/leak.

Chris298

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021

For me I will watch movies at gym when I am on stairmaster or treadmill and since my head is moving constantly that effect is noticeable and pretty cool.

but I definitely agree that for normal use no one really moves their head too much watching movies on phone. So it is a lil gimicky

Reactions: diego.caraballo

j1992

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Is this weird to anyone else? A special event just about lossless audio playback... that none of their devices support?
It's clear that they're focusing on the Spatial Audio aspect since the event is called 'Introducing Spatial Audio'. Lossless is just something extra they're providing for people that are already invested in Hi-Res audio equipment.

Reactions: GregoriusM

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

1. This is underselling spatial audio for movies/Tv. It’s actually surround sound, but with the head tracking you mentioned. So do you find surround sound to be a gimmick? Most people would not.

2. This is just incorrect. It’s Dolby atmos surround. No head tracking involved.

glockenSquish

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Cool story!! I hope they talk about Logic Pro, and how they’re going to release features to create content for Atmos. Because currently Logic’s way behind the leading DAWs in that realm.

Imagine if Apple was releasing a brand new 8k monitor and brand new 8k streaming service to compete with YouTube, advertising how great your videos and movies will look on it, while at the same time not offering 8k support in Final Cut. They do obviously, but if they didn’t, that’s an exact analogue to what Logic’s state is in right now—and how silly it looks in the wake of all this “Apple + Atmos” buzz.

Apple: Introducing Spatial Audio for Apple Music, on all your devices!

Also Apple: now if you want to create content for Spatial Audio & Apple Music, go buy ProTools or Nuendo because we can’t do that.

Reactions: GregoriusM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.