Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Don't want to post yet another rant about AM but I am anyway. Used the trail for 3 months. Loved the music on there but what is the point when it is so buggy server side. I really gave the Android app a chance but it is the worst app ever. After over 6 months in beta thinking by the time AM would charge me that it would at least be out of beta nope.

Since the app has been updated about four times they have not fixed one issue. For weeks I had no issues with the tracks pausing randomly but it yet started again the past few days. Also the slowness and crashing is another issue.

Then on the computer side iTunes is still slow and buggy. I can't believe how easy to mess it up. Listening to a album I went into the settings to turn off the iTunes store heck I don't buy anything there and the program locked up and then the music stopped. All my albums were gone. I had to Google all over the place to fix it. Finally figured out I had to turn on the iTunes store. What does that have to do with music. A simple web player would have not messed this up.

Then listening to a album that has more than one disc broken up into volumes it has a annoying habit of playing disk 1 track one then disk 2 track 1 supper annoying. Only clicking on the artist and album messing around I can sometimes to get it to play in order.

Finally I signed back up to Play Music and the app is more polished. Very quick to open unlike the POS AM app that stalls and sometimes crashes on startup. Music plays right away and after using AM for at least a month I noticed right away that Play Music sounds better. Who knows what encode and bitrate they use. Any articles are old and Google does not admit what they actually use for music. Heck even people on iPhones says that the AM runs terrible and that Play Music runs better.

Since all of my albums are on both services and I don't care about that paid shill premadonna Taylor Swift commercial crappy 1989 album of that commercial crap rap Drake nothing affects me music wize. Too me give me the music form the 50's to early 2000's and I am happy.

Last edited:

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
It's weird that a service has such varying degrees of success and likeability... but then this is an Apple product so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.
I guess I'm lucky in that I've not had anywhere near the amount of issues you've had.

At least you gave it a try :)

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Some here, never had a problem, but I understand who did, it is good that we have choices, some like Spotify better other Tidal.

I for one did the family pack when it was released and never looked back, it has few things I would like them to improve but I am sure they are working on it.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
What I would like to understand is why Spotify can sync local files without cloud, without altering them, "matching" them, just copy them from my Mac to my Android phone, and Apple Music has such difficulties understanding that a live version and a greatest hits edit are not the same song.

Reactions: Rantipole

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
As I said I loved the variety of Apple Music. Lots of music I love but what is the point if it is not stable. In the past I cancelled services with less issues that Apple Music. Also reading here iPhone and Mac users say that it is unstable too and anyone I know cousins etc don't use AM. They use YouTube, Spotify etc. because of the matching issues. It is worse on a iPhone because it deletes all your local stored music and DRM's your own tracks if you download them.

We will see after WWDC what happens but unless they come out with a web player not having to use that horrible iTunes and a proper non beta Android app also doubt it I am staying with Play Music which even if you upload your own music still leaves your stored music in place. Only if you don't have the local music on your device it will match it. After if you put your local music on there it leaves it alone. So when I am offline my local music is there unaffected.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
As I said I loved the variety of Apple Music. Lots of music I love but what is the point if it is not stable. In the past I cancelled services with less issues that Apple Music. Also reading here iPhone and Mac users say that it is unstable too and anyone I know cousins etc don't use AM. They use YouTube, Spotify etc. because of the matching issues. It is worse on a iPhone because it deletes all your local stored music and DRM's your own tracks if you download them.

We will see after WWDC what happens but unless they come out with a web player not having to use that horrible iTunes and a proper non beta Android app also doubt it I am staying with Play Music which even if you upload your own music still leaves your stored music in place. Only if you don't have the local music on your device it will match it. After if you put your local music on there it leaves it alone. So when I am offline my local music is there unaffected.

I doubt Apple will support a web player....... does Spotify?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Spotify definitely supports a web player. Matter of fact just about every streaming service supports one except Apple Music.

Don't understand how they can have over 10 million subscribers unless many of them did the free trail on there phones not realizing that they are being charged every month thinking that it is just included with there phones, especially if they put it on there charge card and just pay it off without looking at the charges.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Spotify definitely supports a web player. Matter of fact just about every streaming service supports one except Apple Music.

Don't understand how they can have over 10 million subscribers unless many of them did the free trail on there phones not realizing that they are being charged every month thinking that it is just included with there phones, especially if they put it on there charge card and just pay it off without looking at the charges.

Since I am not a Spotify subscriber (only freemium account) I don't see the web player. In any event Apple doesn't even offer iMessage within iCloud.com so IMO they won't do it for music.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Since I am not a Spotify subscriber (only freemium account) I don't see the web player. In any event Apple doesn't even offer iMessage within iCloud.com so IMO they won't do it for music.
I'm not either but the web player is available to everyone... you just get ads. It's a pretty slick app.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Business is a strange deal.. I'll don't think i'll ever understand these dealings work for one, but not the other.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FWIW, I'm not hating Apple Music, it does mostly all that I ask it too. I'm not liking the interface, the "stations" for a lack of better word seem less robust then Pandora, but Apple does seem to have a huge library of music, that I now have access too, that I don't with other services.

Overall, for 10 dollars a month I think its decent.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
FWIW, I'm not hating Apple Music, it does mostly all that I ask it too. I'm not liking the interface, the "stations" for a lack of better word seem less robust then Pandora, but Apple does seem to have a huge library of music, that I now have access too, that I don't with other services.

Overall, for 10 dollars a month I think its decent.

And IMO better sounding music and siri integration. Use siri just about each time I use AM

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Siri integration is definitely one of those nice to have features that I use quite often.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Apple Music has a big music library with many much I loved. It is just the bugs that are ignored and lack of a web player that made me not keep it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.