Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
My wife and I have had family sharing turned on for both of our iTunes accounts for some time now and we are both able to see each others purchases. I purchased the Apple Music family share plan this afternoon and it works great on my phone. However, after updating my wife's iPhone to iOS 8.4 and opening the new Music app, it prompts her to purchase her own subscription of Apple Music.

Has anyone been able to get this to work properly? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I could get this working? I have already tried removing Family Sharing and re-enrolling our accounts but that did not have any impact on the problem.

patbookpro

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
My wife and I have had family sharing turned on for both of our iTunes accounts for some time now and we are both able to see each others purchases. I purchased the Apple Music family share plan this afternoon and it works great on my phone. However, after updating my wife's iPhone to iOS 8.4 and opening the new Music app, it prompts her to purchase her own subscription of Apple Music.

Has anyone been able to get this to work properly? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I could get this working? I have already tried removing Family Sharing and re-enrolling our accounts but that did not have any impact on the problem.

Same problem here. administrator ID#1 purchased the family plan free trial for $14.99 and sent invite for Apple music to another Family member with separate ID and ID#2 excepted the invite ID #2 is listed on the family sharing cloud. Apple music is still asking #2 to join a $9.99 or $14.99 for fam

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
While it is a big issue, I'm sure it will be fixed quickly...

...HOWEVER, everyone using Apple Music is currently using it for free, so they do have a three month buffer to figure this out.

TheClaff

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Having same issues it won't let me add other members already in family sharing. Just asks them to start a new trial.

nafizur

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Same problem here. administrator ID#1 purchased the family plan free trial for $14.99 and sent invite for Apple music to another Family member with separate ID and ID#2 excepted the invite ID #2 is listed on the family sharing cloud. Apple music is still asking #2 to join a $9.99 or $14.99 for fam
hey, how did you send the invite? i'm having issue..

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Having same issues it won't let me add other members already in family sharing. Just asks them to start a new trial.

Working fine here. Already had family sharing setup. When my wife updated her iPhone and iPad, both recognized she was part of the family plan. Is the original account set to family plan under subscription settings?

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Same issue here. 2 IDs on family sharing. On ID #1 set up Apple music and signed up for family. On ID#2 music app prompts to sign up for individual or family. I just went ahead and signed up for family on second ID too. Strange thing is that in music app if you click on the profile button there is a option to set up family sharing but family sharing is already set up

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
How exactly did you do it. Did you sign out/in on the primary and secondary. Did you restart any phones? Did you do one before the other or at the same time?

Frustrating. I've added my two kids just fine. I get to the fourth device/person (wife) and am getting this problem. I removed her from the family and re-added, no luck. Signed her out and back in numerous times on her device in Apple Music, no luck. Reboots, no luck.

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
How exactly did you do it. Did you sign out/in on the primary and secondary. Did you restart any phones? Did you do one before the other or at the same time?

I logged out of iTunes on both the primary family member account and the secondaries. Once I logged out the secondary and back in, it said something to the effect of "congratulations, an Apple Music subscription has been purchased on your family sharing account", and it walked the secondary user through setting up their musical tastes.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I logged out of iTunes on both the primary family member account and the secondaries. Once I logged out the secondary and back in, it said something to the effect of "congratulations, an Apple Music subscription has been purchased on your family sharing account", and it walked the secondary user through setting up their musical tastes.
Perfect thank you for this

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008

You say "iTunes" - do you mean Settings, iTunes & App Store? Is that where you are signing out?

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
You say "iTunes" - do you mean Settings, iTunes & App Store? Is that where you are signing out?

If an iOS device, yes--in Settings, iTunes & App Store. If on the Mac, then you click on the account's name just to the left of the search field in iTunes and click, sign out.

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
If an iOS device, yes--in Settings, iTunes & App Store. If on the Mac, then you click on the account's name just to the left of the search field in iTunes and click, sign out.

Thanks - tried that, no luck.

What a cluster. I went ahead a signed up my wife's device for another trial just to move the ball forward. Now, somehow, my name shows up in profile information on her phone. Grrr.

patbookpro

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
hey, how did you send the invite? i'm having issue..
I sent it from Apple music app. Update: #2 left family iCloud, and was invited again and it worked but only for one hour. Now back to square one. FYI I talk to a Apple REP for one hour! about the issue and could not resolve.

patbookpro

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I had the same issue as people above. But signing out of the iTunes store and back in fixed the problem.

I took your advice and is now working again. thanks! I hope it lasts longer than an hour this time. I signed out of Apple music app and iTunes on ID #2 and then I signed back in

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Same problem here.

Was working fine. Now all asking to subscribe again. Go to subscribe and it says a family member has already invited. Proceed and buy again, it says already a member. Then I can't get past the Join Apple Music screen.

Looks like a meltdown.

patbookpro

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
Same problem here.

Was working fine. Now all asking to subscribe again. Go to subscribe and it says a family member has already invited. Proceed and buy again, it says already a member. Then I can't get past the Join Apple Music screen.

Looks like a meltdown.
Disappointing and frustrating!. I got my ID#2 on Apple music by signing out of Apple music/iTunes. Then sign back on and it worked again. HOPE THEY FIX IT SOON!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.