Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Apple Music app for Android users, adding a new feature that allows them to save downloaded songs to an SD card on compatible smartphones. "You can now keep more music offline," reads the update note.

Several Android-based phones allow users to upgrade their storage using SD and microSD cards. As The Verge points out, with the ability to save downloaded content, Android users can potentially have access to more music than iOS users who are limited to a maximum of 128GB of storage on iPhones and iPads.

applemusicandroid-800x707.jpg

Today's Android update also adds a full schedule for Beats 1 shows and it includes My Music options for browsing by Composers and Compilations, features previously available to iOS users.

Apple Music for Android first launched in November, marking Apple's first major app for Android users. The Android-based app, available in all the countries where Apple Music for iOS is available, allows Android users to subscribe to the Apple Music service.

The Android Apple Music app, which remains in beta, can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for free. It comes with a free three-month Apple Music trial.

Article Link: Apple Music for Android Now Supports Saving Songs to SD Card

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Still better than no support at all. Poor iPhone users forced to buy higher capacity to store music and pay premiums for storage upgrade where we the Android users can enjoy SD card and not pay premiums to Apple.
If the idea of trying to pirate the music came up I wanted to mention that

Joemmello

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016

Apple today updated its Apple Music app for Android users, adding a new feature that allows them to save downloaded songs to an SD card on compatible smartphones. "You can now keep more music offline," reads the update note.

Several Android-based phones allow users to upgrade their storage using SD and microSD cards. As The Verge points out, with the ability to save downloaded content, Android users can potentially have access to more music than iOS users who are limited to a maximum of 128GB of storage on iPhones and iPads.

Today's Android update also adds a full schedule for Beats 1 shows and it includes My Music options for browsing by Composers and Compilations, features previously available to iOS users.

Apple Music for Android first launched in November, marking Apple's first major app for Android users. The Android-based app, available in all the countries where Apple Music for iOS is available, allows Android users to subscribe to the Apple Music service.

The Android Apple Music app, which remains in beta, can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for free. It comes with a free three-month Apple Music trial.

No star rating yet.

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
Are you able to switch the SD card between devices and have it work without problems? Would be interesting.

This! That would be a pretty cool feature to just get a new phone and swap in the new SD card.
Also, WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BRING APPLE MUSIC TO THE iPODS?! I love my phone no doubt and other than running with a 4.7" device to my arm, I have no complaints about it's size. I couldn't imagine strapping a + to my arm.

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
This! That would be a pretty cool feature to just get a new phone and swap in the new SD card.
Also, WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BRING APPLE MUSIC TO THE iPODS?! I love my phone no doubt and other than running with a 4.7" device to my arm, I have no complaints about it's size. I couldn't imagine strapping a + to my arm.

This is a flagship feature of the Apple Watch

Reactions: hauntvictim

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Are you able to switch the SD card between devices and have it work without problems? Would be interesting.
Assuming they're using their FairPlay DRM and you're authorised with the same account on both devices - it should work just fine.
[doublepost=1454555437][/doublepost]
Definately a drawback. I prefer to not have to use and logon to Google services to use my phone. No thanks
No one forces you to. There are even Android phones sold without Google services installed by default.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Still better than no support at all. Poor iPhone users forced to buy higher capacity to store music and pay premiums for storage upgrade where we the Android users can enjoy SD card and not pay premiums to Apple.

Doesn't affect me. I stream all day over LTE and wifi.

Reactions: APlotdevice

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Nexus, S6(edge), Note 5 users said hi ;)

Reactions: tony1984

awparker85

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Interesting. I was originally excited about Apple Music because I thought it could be a Spotify alternative that worked with my Shuffle. Apple Support said they couldn't support that because Apple Music songs couldn't be downloaded to anything that wasn't internet connected. A garbage excuse, but that's what they said.. Not sure how this gets around that.
[doublepost=1454578020][/doublepost]Interesting. I was originally excited about Apple Music because I thought it could be a Spotify alternative that worked with my Shuffle. Apple Support said they couldn't support that because Apple Music songs couldn't be downloaded to anything that wasn't internet connected. A garbage excuse, but that's what they said.. Not sure how this gets around that.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Also, WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BRING APPLE MUSIC TO THE iPODS?!

Never going to happen. Apple Music will only work with online devices that can connect and check for a valid active subscription - and I'm guessing this would have been a requirement from the record labels as part of the licencing - or what is to stop somebody signing up for the trial, dumping 160Gb of Apple Music tracks on to their iPod Classic and then cancelling the subscription and just keeping the music forever...

It sucks as I'd love to be able to sync stuff to my classic too, but I can see why it's not allowed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.