Apple music format chosen for DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SiliconAddict, Mar 23, 2004.

1. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

DVD Forum chooses Apple music format for DVD Audio

2. macrumors P6

wdlove

This is great news for Apple, now the DVD will continue with clear & crisp audio and visual. Thank you for pointing out this great news SiliconAddict. I look forward to seeing how Apple will be able to improve on this AAC for DVD.

3. macrumors regular

AAC is Dolby's technology, Apple just licenses it. What I'm confused about, is why they include two forms of audio, one lossy (AAC) and the other lossless (Meridian Audio Packaging i think) on the DVDs? Wouldn't it be better to just go for the high definition lossless compression or am i missing something? I would much rather use lossless compression and have a 20 meg file than lossy compression with 8 megs. Im so confused.

4. Moderator emeritus

I think it has to do with the combination of multiple channel audio plus the ability to fit more on a disc than some other format would allow. There is also the consideration that AAC requires less power to decode than the rivals tested.

5. macrumors 68020

I love the idea of the "next generation" CD. Won't the CD (as packaged and sold) be dead by then?

6. macrumors 68000

neut

what do you mean? my dad just bought an Acura TL 04 with a DVD audio deck... what i wonder is can you just burn audio to DVD like a CD and throw it into the deck like a CD??? That would rule!

peace.

7. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

At first their was rumors that pointed to WMP 9 being used because it sounded better.......... They realized their mistake pretty quick. WMP 9 and good quality don;t go in the same sentence.

8. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't it deeloped by Adobe? And, yes it would make more sense to go with the lossless compression. I wouldn't want lossy compression in a Photoshop graphic; so why would i want it in Audio?