Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
DVD Forum chooses Apple music format for DVD Audio

he AAC (Advanced Audio Codec), the audio format supported by Apple's iTunes Music Store, has been chosen as a key future DVD Audio disc technology by the standard's governing body, the DVD Forum.

According to an unnamed Forum member cited by web site High Fidelity Review, AAC beat Microsoft's Windows Media 9 format, MP3 and Sony's ATRAC because it "sounded better than the others".

Ironically, the Forum recently selected Windows Media as the basis for its future high-definition video DVD format.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This is great news for Apple, now the DVD will continue with clear & crisp audio and visual. Thank you for pointing out this great news SiliconAddict. I look forward to seeing how Apple will be able to improve on this AAC for DVD.

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
AAC is Dolby's technology, Apple just licenses it. What I'm confused about, is why they include two forms of audio, one lossy (AAC) and the other lossless (Meridian Audio Packaging i think) on the DVDs? Wouldn't it be better to just go for the high definition lossless compression or am i missing something? I would much rather use lossless compression and have a 20 meg file than lossy compression with 8 megs. Im so confused.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think it has to do with the combination of multiple channel audio plus the ability to fit more on a disc than some other format would allow. There is also the consideration that AAC requires less power to decode than the rivals tested.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Le Big Mac said:
I love the idea of the "next generation" CD. Won't the CD (as packaged and sold) be dead by then?

what do you mean? my dad just bought an Acura TL 04 with a DVD audio deck... what i wonder is can you just burn audio to DVD like a CD and throw it into the deck like a CD??? That would rule!

peace.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
briankonar said:
AAC is Dolby's technology, Apple just licenses it. What I'm confused about, is why they include two forms of audio, one lossy (AAC) and the other lossless (Meridian Audio Packaging i think) on the DVDs? Wouldn't it be better to just go for the high definition lossless compression or am i missing something? I would much rather use lossless compression and have a 20 meg file than lossy compression with 8 megs. Im so confused.

Correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't it deeloped by Adobe? And, yes it would make more sense to go with the lossless compression. I wouldn't want lossy compression in a Photoshop graphic; so why would i want it in Audio?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.