Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and NASA have collaborated on a short musical film [Direct iTunes Link] called "Visions of Harmony," which is designed to celebrate NASA's Juno spacecraft reaching Jupiter's orbit. First launched in 2011, Juno is expected to enter Jupiter's orbit on the evening of July 4, giving us our closest ever look at the gas giant and the secrets hidden beneath its dense cloud cover.

nasajuno.jpg
Artist's rendering of Juno in Jupiter's orbit, image via NASA

According to the new "Destination: Jupiter" section of Apple Music, Apple has collaborated with NASA and the Juno team to offer "education and inspiration throughout the historic journey."

visionsofharmony.jpg

"Visions of Harmony" celebrates the link between exploring space and making music, featuring songs from artists like Weezer and Nine Inch Nails frontman and Apple exec Trent Reznor. Reznor and collaborator Atticus Ross created a song inspired by sounds emitted by Jupiter, which features actual recordings from the planet, while Weezer wrote a single called "I Love the USA."

Celebrating the intersection of art and science. @AppleMusic x @NASAJunohttps://t.co/LcnGZMwxWG pic.twitter.com/p5JpmaCg82 - Apple Music (@AppleMusic) June 30, 2016
Other music featured on Apple's Destination: Jupiter page comes from artists like Corinne Bailey Rae, Quin, Brad Paisley, Zoé, Jim James, and GZA the Genius.

Article Link: Apple Music and NASA Team Up on Short Film and Exclusive Songs Celebrating Juno Mission

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Gives NASA some extra converge i guess. I was trying to see what science has anything to do with Apple music.

Reactions: tk421

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
"education and inspiration throughout the historic journey." who writes this nebulous poop ? Sounds like the spin Tony Blair fed us just before the manure hit the fan.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I could only take about 3 minutes of the video. It was experimental film meets dry documentary with mind numbing background noise instead of music. It is better though if you watch it on mute.

If it gets someone interested in space exploration then that's great but the video wasn't good.

Mr Fide

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
"Short film." Is there any more tedious expression in English? Story on Spotify. 600 comments. Story on short film. 20 comments.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The classical music score "Jupiter, The Bringer Jollity" composed by Holst would have been more appropriate for this video.

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is touring through Europe right now. For example:

https://www.thsh.co.uk/event/the-planets-an-hd-odyssey

The program varies from venue to venue, but includes the complete "Planets", and either the complete "Also sprach Zarathustra" or parts of it, with some film music from 2001 added.

Available from Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Houston-Symphony-Director-Present-PLANETS/dp/B003HV0QPS

Reactions: lisztomania7

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
it looks like all the songs are only available through AppleMusic. i was thinking if good enough from a sample, I'd buy but no thanks. i don't need to sign up to hear a sample.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.