Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I've been using the beta since December and have had no issues other than the organization of the horrendous Music app. It is honestly so un user friendly, but I prefer it over Spotify which I have had lots of problems with (says I'm offline when I'm not, sharing playlists isn't easy).

Try Deezer instead of Spotify. Deezer is perfectly running under any circumstances since I signed in 9 months ago. And easy to use. You can also download music on your portable device for hearing offline. Even hear internet radio.

Since there are some other alternatives to spotify as well they might also be better, but I don'nt know since I startedcwith Deezer and Inam more than happy since. I chose Deezer after I read all about streaming stevices and Spotify was the first to be excluded.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Like others have noted, I've been using the Apple Music beta in Sonos, and it has worked flawlessly. I'm quite impressed that it never felt like a beta.

For Sonos itself, I'm quite happy and even happier with Apple Music support. I have a Soundbar w/ Sub at my main livingroom TV. This covers much of the house. Then I have three Play:1s to cover the primary bedrooms. Then I also have a separate family room / theater room that I just added my latest Sonos purchase. I got a great eBay deal on a Sonos Connect, so now I can both stream Sonos audio to that theater AVR, but I can now also play a vinyl that's hooked up to the AVR over the rest of the house via Sonos... or play anything else from that theater room throughout the house.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Are you actually suggesting the sonos app works without the speakers?

Well - I am not just suggesting, I am using it like that! :D
Ypu can not only connect like that, you can also control everything from your smartphone/ipad app like volume control and so on.

I own just one Play:5 speaker - it is the only mobile sonos device I purchased - for listening music in the garden. And I use it actually mostly in the sleeping room and to listen to music or news while taking a bath...

I use since the beginning more than 4 years ago ALL possible stups::

In the living room a pair of Geithain RL901k. I could have connected them directly with the "connect", but since my whole stereo- system is there ( I am listening not only from my NAS and from Deezer, also still my 2000 LPs and tape machines with old recordings) both are connected with a Funk MTX preamp in-between - just for my personal needs.

In my office and some other rooms I have in each one a pair of old but very good passive Speaker. They are connected with a connect:amp ( which is really worth the price because the amp inside costs just 100 USD more than the connect without amp - and the amp is in fact very good!

In 2 other rooms i use other (older) types of active Pro Monitors.

You see now: there is no need for Sonos speakers, but a wide variety of solutions possible.

I recommend again the KH 120A active speakers - they are professional monitors and they are worth their price as entry- level Pro speakers and as for reproduction quality as also for posible volume they leave consumer products which costs same or even much more inthe dust.
But also the little Genelecs Pro Monitors and some other Pro speakers ( if you are looking for top- reproduction)

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You are absolutely right!

This so-called "study" is nothing but marketing BS

Apple takes their customers more and more for idiots...

The did the same thing with their ridiculous "Nightshift" feature in transfering scientific studies about color of ambient light to the use of a little phone screen or that an ipad.this is just the opposite of scientific behavior. They are not serious any more.

As for their claims Apple is now establishing itself on the same level as the community of people selling old used crappy cars in backyards...

It is all about greed...

Sonos must be careful.

Perhaps one day apple will practise the same method they did with f.lux .... They are ruthless . And desperated because they did miss the upcoming future market of streaming.

Monopolists and big players get extremely dangerous when starting to panic about a missed market/being far to late for it....

I hope sonos has signed a double- waterproof contract with apple.
If not, they are already dead.... It will be not a question IF, but only WHEN they will pass away...

Do you know how the Sonos system works? Apple Music is now just one of the many streaming services that is compatible with Sonos. Sonos is doing its customers and Apple a favor by including them in their platform. If Apple forces Sonos to drop Apple Music from their platform at some point, Apple will have a ton of angry customers who will likely just switch to another streaming music service, which obviously would not be in Apple's best interest. Many people who own Sonos products really are that passionate about them.

If you'll recall, the only time Apple got into the speaker industry briefly was with the Hi-Fi many years ago. It didn't sell very well and wasn't offered for sale for very long. I suspect that Apple is content letting Sonos do their thing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who work at Apple that have Sonos speakers and are now glad that they can use Apple Music with them. End of story.

Last edited:

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Are you actually suggesting the sonos app works without the speakers?

Read what I wrote and RTFM...

I suggest that you can connect ANY stereo system with either a connect or connect: amp. or the sonos- speakers.

You can use any computer ascacsource and as a controller unit as well.

What you cannot do is transfer the music on a cmputer for using the computer as a "speaker" or for listening from the computer by headphones. Which is possible, but sonoscwants tomsell their speakers.

Nevertheless they have no walled garden like apple - apple would never ever have giben the option tomtheir customers tomuse 3 rd party amps, speakers and 3rd party NAS....

One of the reasons for me to not support apple's new strategy since some years transforming their walled garden into prison...

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
It's perfect system for that purpose. You can play different tunes from different sources simultaneously. Each of the speakers can be controlled separately or they can be used as surround sound systems if linked (TV use).
You don´t understand the Sonos system. Everyone can hear his/her personal music. even from one only NAS! It is just the opposite you´re thinking about…

Woah. Incredible! Okay then, I shall have to investigate! That sounds beyond glorious!

Now to convince my other half on buying this contraption!

The only use cases I'd read about sonos were syncing music between rooms, which while great, I don't have much use for.

I wonder, does it have iBeacon or other technology to make the music automatically follow me from room to room?

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Do you know how the Sonos system works? Apple Music is now just one of the many streaming services that is compatible with Sonos. Sonos is doing its customers and Apple a favor by including them in their platform. If Apple forces Sonos to drop Apple Music from their platform at some point, Apple will have a ton of angry customers who will likely just switch to another streaming music service, which obviously would not be in Apple's best interest. Many people who own Sonos products really are that passionate about them.

If you'll recall, the only time Apple got into the speaker industry briefly was with the Hi-Fi many years ago. It didn't sell very well and wasn't offered for sale for very long. I suspect that Apple is content letting Sonos do their thing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who work at Apple that have Sonos speakers and are now glad that they can use Apple Music with them. End of story.

Yes, of course... :D

The proof for your hypothesis is that apple doesn' t kick out sucessful little enterprises out of the app store and that in the new apple computer line there are no soldered RAM and no soldered SSDs at all.... And no glued Batteries neither ... Isn' t it? :D

The market of sonos is a multi-billion $ market.
Apple is too late. And they will try to destroy or buy sonos ... Apple is a company ruthlessly making money.
It is all about greed...nothing else.
[doublepost=1455120664][/doublepost]
Woah. Incredible! Okay then, I shall have to investigate! That sounds beyond glorious!

Now to convince my other half on buying this contraption!

The only use cases I'd read about sonos were syncing music between rooms, which while great, I don't have much use for.

I wonder, does it have iBeacon or other technology to make the music automatically follow me from room to room?

It takes just 2 clicks on your smartphone to switch music from one room to an other room. Or just to let the music play in some rooms or all rooms at the same time...

For more go to the sonos website and RTFM... ;)

I am just a happy customer, I don' t sell or promote Sonos products ( same for Deezer)

It is worth to inform yourself about the multiple features and products of Sonos.
And as I wrote already: there are alternative speakers that could be used others than the sonos ones.

You can start just with a connect for 400$, connect it by network cable with your router and a classic simple Cinch cable with the aux- input of your stereo system. That gives you thecpossibility to get internnet radion and streaming services working. Investing 10$ for a LAN cable to connect with your NAS will connect this either with your stereomsystem or with a second, third or.. In one of the other rooms by another . Sonos connect which you can connect itself with any stereo device in the other rooms.

Edit: since the sonos connect and connect:amp have both Cinch input and seperately output this works also just the other way round: you can connect each source in any room with the connectvin that room to transfer the music from there in any other room as well !

Installing sonos WLAN and equipment is as easy as eating chips. And the controller GUI is nearly perfect, easy to use.

Last edited:

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
You are absolutely right!

This so-called "study" is nothing but marketing BS

Apple takes their customers more and more for idiots...

The did the same thing with their ridiculous "Nightshift" feature in transfering scientific studies about color of ambient light to the use of a little phone screen or that an ipad.this is just the opposite of scientific behavior. They are not serious any more.

As for their claims Apple is now establishing itself on the same level as the community of people selling old used crappy cars in backyards...

It is all about greed...

Sonos must be careful.

Perhaps one day apple will practise the same method they did with f.lux .... They are ruthless . And desperated because they did miss the upcoming future market of streaming.

Monopolists and big players get extremely dangerous when starting to panic about a missed market/being far to late for it....

I hope sonos has signed a double- waterproof contract with apple.
If not, they are already dead.... It will be not a question IF, but only WHEN they will pass away...

I think you mean Sonos takes their customers more and more for idiots. This is the quote from the article:

"Sonos conducted a study on the positive effects of music listening in the home using an Apple Music subscription paired with a Sonos sound system. The study found that families who regularly listened to music in the home spent 67 percent more time together and ate together more often, among other positive effects."

Sonos conducted the study, not Apple.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The market of sonos is a multi-billion $ market.
Apple is too late. And they will try to destroy or buy sonos ... Apple is a company ruthlessly making money.
It is all about greed...nothing else.

If you equate wanting to make money with greed, I think you misunderstand the first fundamental principle of a for-profit business, which is "make money". That is how a business exists. If they don't make money, they don't stay in business.

Apple can't buy Sonos if Sonos is not willing to sell. While I have no inside knowledge, I suspect that Apple is just fine with having the Beats speakers be their only current foray into speakers. Most Sonos users I know would assert that Sonos blows Beats out of the water on several levels so I don't think Apple will be destroying Sonos with Beats speakers.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I think you mean Sonos takes their customers more and more for idiots. This is the quote from the article:

"Sonos conducted a study on the positive effects of music listening in the home using an Apple Music subscription paired with a Sonos sound system. The study found that families who regularly listened to music in the home spent 67 percent more time together and ate together more often, among other positive effects."

Sonos conducted the study, not Apple.

Ok, if that is correct, sadly sonos is now getting like apple already is since years...
Perhaps apple partly has already taken over Sonos ?

Well - I don' t mind. I bought all my sonos equipment about nearly 5 years ago, they were much cheaper at that time.. At the same moment that apple takes over Sonos I am out, since Sonos will get immediatly a " walled garden" with lots ofvrestrictions. Now there are in thebmeantime alternatives on the WLAN market for home music without the one disadvantage of Sonos beingblimited to sources of about 3000 CDs on the NAS or your computer...

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Perhaps apple partly has already taken over Sonos ?

What's with all the paranoia that Apple is going to take over or is already in the process of taking over Sonos? All Sonos did was add Apple Music to their platform. You're trying to make something out of nothing.

Reactions: satcomer

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
What's with all the paranoia that Apple is going to take over or is already in the process of taking over Sonos? All Sonos did was add Apple Music to their platform. You're trying to make something out of nothing.

Don' t name it paranoia, name it experience of life and as a little stockholder since decades.

Again: look what they did already with a lot successful app- sellers kicking them out of business from one day to another by stopping their selling point in apple's app store or blocking even the entry after the productvwas successful outside thecapp store, f.lux being just the last ones as a good example for my so-called paranoia...

Last edited:
Reactions: PrimeMatrix

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
The amount of misinformation, uninformed opinion and baseless conjecture that almost inevitably appears in any Sonos thread is just amazing...

Reactions: PrimeMatrix

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Ahead of the announcement of official Apple Music support, Sonos conducted a study on the positive effects of music listening in the home using an Apple Music subscription paired with a Sonos sound system. The study found that families who regularly listened to music in the home spent 67 percent more time together and ate together more often, among other positive effects.
That's a pretty profound study. I'd imagine that this would appeal to many, myself included.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
The amount of misinformation, uninformed opinion and baseless conjecture that almost inevitably appears in any Sonos thread is just amazing...

Amusing... Now that is you who is getting really paranoid.... :D

Sonos " just works" as apple products did either - once upon a time....

It is not astonishing at all that there are many millions of happy sonos customers reporting there flawless use of the reliable soft- and hardware made by Sonos....

As for misinformation: mostly by uninformed people who never used Sonos products.

Do a search for unhappy Sonos customers. Will be frustrating for you....

UberTiger

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
How about Sonos try supporting services that users were already using regularly - like Audible.

Oh wait, they removed audible support last year without any kind of replacement and there's no ETA on getting it back again. Glad I dropped £2k on your equipment Sonos, to use a feature that you decided to remove in a firmware update :rolleyes:

Reactions: satcomer

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
That's a pretty profound study. I'd imagine that this would appeal to many, myself included.

Together = in the same home..?

If correct, this will be so forvevery type of music of every seller, not just apple ascacseller. Ridiculous "study" as for "apple" ...

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
How about Sonos try supporting services that users were already using regularly - like Audible.

Oh wait, they removed audible support last year without any kind of replacement and there's no ETA on getting it back again. Glad I dropped £2k on your equipment Sonos, to use a feature that you decided to remove in a firmware update :rolleyes:

Found a blog citing Sonos as well as Audible:

The problem was a unhappy firmware update and sonos claim they regret. Both declare that they are searching for solutions to reintegrate audible in their system.
[doublepost=1455125770][/doublepost]
Not sure what you're trying to say here? Trying to discredit a study, or something, or saying that it is not good enough?

When a family is spending more time together than before, this iscsurely not caused by a technical device.
But when you purchase a new device everybody is curious and looking at it, hearing music,... This has nothing to with apple, in most cases not with more communication with each other... Or living in more harmony.

But perhaps the persons are each for themselves (!) a little bit happier than before becausecthey can listen to music more easily...

Edit:

I knew it!

Just got a advertising email by sonos.
The link discovered what the marketing phrases tried to hide:

The so-called "study" was about "if listening together (!) music" is making the family more happy.
This is a completely different thing.

It is not the music itself or sonos/apple products bringing the family together, it is the simple fact of doing something or spending time together by itself!

Has nothing to do with sonos, nor apple, just with sharing some time together.
Could be spending time together playing scramble or monopoly or whatever...

Since human beings making music together or playing together we know well that these common activities brung human beings together.
And the most effective in making music, singing and so on.

So evidently this is ruthles and stupid marketing, typical for the " new" apple inc.
And Sonos does not hesitate to join these ridiculous and childish "study" campain… shame on them as well !

As I said already: they are taking their customers for fools...

Last edited:
Reactions: UberTiger

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013

The problem was a unhappy firmware update and sonos claim they regret. Both declare that they are searching for solutions to reintegrate audible in their system.
[doublepost=1455125770][/doublepost]

When a family is spending more time together than before, this iscsurely not caused by a technical device.
But when you purchase a new device everybody is curious and looking at it, hearing music,... This has nothing to with apple, in most cases not with more communication with each other... Or living in more harmony.

But perhaps the persons are each for themselves (!) a little bit happier than before becausecthey can listen to music more easily...

Edit:

I knew it!

Just got a advertising email by sonos.
The link discovered what the marketing phrases tried to hide:

The study was about "if listening together (!) music" is making the family more happy.
This is a completely different thing.

It is not the music itself orvsonos/apple products bringing the family together, it is the action of doing something together itself!

Has nothing
to do with sonos, nor apple, just with sharing some time together.
Could be scramble or monopoly or whatever...
Since human beings making music together or playing together we know well that these common activities brung human beings together.
And the most effective in making music, singing and so on.

So evidently this is ruthles and stupid marketing, typical for the " new" apple inc.
And Sonos does not hesitate to join these ridiculousand childish "study" campain...

As I said already: they are taking their customers for fools...

Thanks for sharing.

UberTiger

macrumors member
May 9, 2009

I've only read and followed the thread associated with the statement their forum.

Been over 5 months now....seems a bit silly that it's taking so long. Very frustrating for users that (used to) use that feature regularly and was a factor in their buying decision.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I've only read and followed the thread associated with the statement their forum.

Been over 5 months now....seems a bit silly that it's taking so long. Very frustrating for users that (used to) use that feature regularly and was a factor in their buying decision.

well - it is just a blog citing them - but it seems the blogger was also Audible customer and upset like you. I think he took action to know more about it.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina

I suggest that you can connect ANY stereo system with either a connect or connect: amp. or the sonos- speakers.

What you cannot do is transfer the music on a cmputer for using the computer as a "speaker" or for listening from the computer by headphones. Which is possible, but sonoscwants tomsell their speakers.

Nevertheless they have no walled garden like apple - apple would never ever have giben the option tomtheir customers tomuse 3 rd party amps, speakers and 3rd party NAS....

One of the reasons for me to not support apple's new strategy since some years transforming their walled garden into prison...
Sheesh you answered your own rant. You HAVE to own a sonos product to use the app. Yes, you can plug anything into the connect AMP, I know I've had one for a few years, yes you can connect any line in into the play 5, but YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SONOS PRODUCT TO USE THE APP. If you just had the speakers you rattled off, and the sonos app, they wouldn't do anything. Don't tell me to "RTFM" when you didn't understand what I posted.
[doublepost=1455131893][/doublepost]

Also, if you didn't get from my messages, I purposely have used Sonos for years because it connects near every source I have ever used including things like MLB at bat, which is so awesome to listen to outside with the play one. I have zero complaints with sonos and I hope they remain independent forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.