Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDavid24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Hi everyone,
So I know that tomorrow, as part of iOS 8.4, Apple Music launches. One feature is that you can download music from the Apple Music library to be listened to offline and stored to your library. Will this music stay in your library even after you've terminated your paid Apple Music subscription? In other words, wouldn't it be possible for someone to get the subscription for $9.99 a month, load all the music to their phone that they could possibly want and download it for offline use, and then cancel the subscription? Would this music remain on the phone or disappear with the end of the Apple Music paid subscription?

Thanks!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Hi everyone,
So I know that tomorrow, as part of iOS 8.4, Apple Music launches. One feature is that you can download music from the Apple Music library to be listened to offline and stored to your library. Will this music stay in your library even after you've terminated your paid Apple Music subscription? In other words, wouldn't it be possible for someone to get the subscription for $9.99 a month, load all the music to their phone that they could possibly want and download it for offline use, and then cancel the subscription? Would this music remain on the phone or disappear with the end of the Apple Music paid subscription?

Thanks!

Nope. Once the subscription is terminated so is all of the music that's not part of your library. Its not Match

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I only have Spotify as an example but what they do is make you check in monthly to validate your music. If you cancel your subscription the music will work until your checkin date which is the same date as your monthly renewal. The music will not be accessible if you don't verify. The files loaded to your device are not in a format (easily) readable by anything but the music app. It's not like you will see a collection of MP3 or AAC files added to your device. It will be an encrypted version of the file. So, no you can't pay once and just load everything to your device to keep. They thought of that in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.