Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Anyone running to this issue?

I put all my music in a smart playlist (3,000 songs) and then I make the playlist available offline on my phone.

I checked my storage usage in Settings and it says I have 3,000 songs. All my songs play fine offline and I confirmed the little corner phone icon is on the playlist.

Then for not apparent reason, a few hours later, apple music will remove the offline status and make them unavailable offline. Now under settings, it says I have 0 songs.

Any idea on how to make sure my songs stay offline?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I have 8,000 songs offline, and first time i heard of Apple just removing offline music for no reason..

Sure subscription has not expired ? If it has, then that would be why.

Make sure icloud library is turned "on" and your signed in to the same Apple ID as u use to sync music. can u see these on other devices/mac ? If so, then its something due to device.

applefan12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
No my subscription has not expired.

I noticed it removes the songs after I restart my phone. Somehow the cache seems to get cleared.

I have 8,000 songs offline, and first time i heard of Apple just removing offline music for no reason..

Sure subscription has not expired ? If it has, then that would be why.

Make sure icloud library is turned "on" and your signed in to the same Apple ID as u use to sync music. can u see these on other devices/mac ? If so, then its something due to device.
t at all

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I had this same problem during the trial. Music would just disappear. As someone who flies often for work and relies on music on my phone, this is completely unacceptable, so I'll be sticking with Spotify instead of AM.

Sorry, I don't know of a fix or a workaround, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one it's happening to and this is one of many bugs in AM.

numberfour

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2015
Have you by any chance logged out of your account or logged into another apple id on your phone? That removes cache and offline songs.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I guess I am the luckiest guy on Apple's ecosystem. None of the issues that users have reported here happened to me. All of my offline music is still there, no issue with matched stuff, and the only grayed out tracks are ones the artist removed from AM. Its been a wonderful service thru the 3 month trial, and now I'm a paid subscriber.

apple_power_user

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
My offline music continues to disappear after I've downloaded it. I've signed out of my Apple ID, hard and soft resets, etc. I'm getting so sick of this.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
My offline music continues to disappear after I've downloaded it. I've signed out of my Apple ID, hard and soft resets, etc. I'm getting so sick of this.

When it comes to iCloud Music Library and Offline Play, AM sucks. It really does suck.

Just when you think you have songs downloaded for offline play... They magically go back to online only.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I had this issue back when running iOS 8.4, but not since running 9 or higher.
Only suggestion is DON'T base your offline music on a smart playlist. A senior tech I have been dealing with about the mis-matching issues said that for some reason AM has "issues" with syncing Smart playlists. What he suggested is make the smart playlist (based on whatever you wish) and then copy that list to a new playlist. And do the "offline download" based on that non-smart playlist. Not sure if this will solve your issue, but it did for me. Have not lost any downloaded music through multiple power downs and hard resets for various reasons. (Though I will admit I have not tried one as large as yours.)

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I had this issue back when running iOS 8.4, but not since running 9 or higher.
Only suggestion is DON'T base your offline music on a smart playlist. A senior tech I have been dealing with about the mis-matching issues said that for some reason AM has "issues" with syncing Smart playlists. What he suggested is make the smart playlist (based on whatever you wish) and then copy that list to a new playlist. And do the "offline download" based on that non-smart playlist. Not sure if this will solve your issue, but it did for me. Have not lost any downloaded music through multiple power downs and hard resets for various reasons. (Though I will admit I have not tried one as large as yours.)

Maybe this explains why I have never experienced lost offline music on my playlists.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
the only reason i can see where offline much would be removed if u stop paying for Apple music

I had the same thing happen, after opening iTunes it started deleting my my off line music,,, after checking hard drive, the Apple music folder went down from 230 folders only 35..

I figured this was around the same time October 1st when free trial ended. Now any offline music i do download, i make a backup of it for this reason... Even though i can't play it on its own, it doesn't matter, at least i can still copy the missing stuff over without re-downloading it again. Just as long u keep the .it and/or .xml files intact, it should be ok as long as subscription IS still valid.

mactracker75

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2014
Astoria, Queens NY
I just started the free trial in September and have been constantly fighting with the AM app over offline music. It seems to have a mind of its own. It will remove songs or say the songs are available offline but they actually aren't.

Spoke with a senior tech at Apple about this and she's stumped. Thinks it's a server side issue.

The only way I seem to have success is to go into a playlist and download each song one by one but that's just ridiculous.

Offline listening is essential for me as I take the subway to work. I'm in NYC and I'm shocked that this app is working so poorly. Apple is calling me back on the matter tomorrow but I doubt they will have a fix. This is an issue Apple really needs to address. I'm sure they know about it already but are keeping it low key. Obviously from this thread there is a section of users not having these issues so something is causing a problem for the rest of us. What is it? Your guess is as good as mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.