Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to overhaul its year-old music streaming service to make it "more easy to use", according to people familiar with the matter (via Bloomberg News).

The company is set to redesign the user interface to make it more intuitive, said the sources, who asked to remain anonymous because the plans are yet to be made public. Apple also means to significantly enhance the integration of its streaming and download businesses and expand its online radio service.

applemusic.jpg

According to Bloomberg, a full reboot of Apple Music is to be unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June and will be accompanied by a fresh marketing campaign to entice customers to the subscription-based service, which currently costs $10 per month.

Apple Music was introduced with much fanfare back in June 2015. While many commentators gave generally positive reviews, the service was criticized for its muddled interface and dearth of features. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift penned an open letter to the Cupertino company criticizing it for not paying artists during the service's free three-month trial and explaining her decision not to make her album 1989 available to stream on Apple Music. Artists have also complained that Apple Music's social aspect, called Connect, "fails miserably" in its aims.

Apple has struggled to integrate its employees and unite the streaming and downloading businesses into a cohesive music strategy, according to the latest report. As a result, the service is now being overseen by content head Robert Kondrk and Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor. Design chief Jony Ive's team has also been involved, along with former Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine and senior VP of Internet services Eddy Cue.

Apple Music has reached 13 million subscribers, announced Apple CEO Tim Cook at last week's earnings call. The figure was 2 million higher than that reported in February, indicating a growth rate on par with industry-leading streaming service Spotify.

Update: Details about the upcoming Apple Music redesign have been shared by 9to5Mac. It is said to feature a "bolder, yet simpler" design that puts an emphasis on black and white backgrounds and text and more of a focus on album art. The "New" tab in Apple Music is being replaced with a "Browse" option with better organizational tools for finding new content, and Apple will encourage users to use a simplified "For You" section.

Connect, Apple Music's artist-focused social network, will remain unchanged, as will Beats 1 Radio. New 3D Touch shortcut previews will be added, Apple will make sharing features more obvious, and a feature allowing listeners to easily access song lyrics will be added. The new Apple Music app will reportedly debut at WWDC in iOS 10 and will be introduced through an iTunes update on the Mac.

Article Link: Apple Music Set for Design Overhaul in Time for WWDC in June

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
Apple Music never felt like "home" to me. I love the old music app. The very first version. When I use my iPod touch (2010) for sports, I'm so happy with this basic music app that works like it should. It does the job and I can find every song, artist or album within seconds.

Last edited:

nickmcpherson97

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I wonder if they'll fix my shuffle bug. Every time I open the music app (music previously wasn't playing) and I hit shuffle it'll play then pause before any sound comes out, requiring me to hit play or shuffle again to play music.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I absolutely hate what Apple Music has done to the music app.

Apple basically destroyed the iPod part of the iPhone. I actually had to download a third party app to be able to control my music to any functional degree.

Apple please reinstate in the old music application and make a separate Apple Music app.

Edit/ a few people asked what 3rd party app I use It's called marvis - it's good but has adverts :(

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
So accrording to rumors for WWDC we should expect:
Skylake MBP (with redesign)
Skylake Mini
Skylake iMac (all the line)
New MP
Watch bands
Watch 2
14 MBA
New Apple Music
New iTunes
New Mac OS (preview)
New iOS (preview)

Seems like they should have booked for 4 hours keynote......

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
This will be a welcome upgrade if it's true. I've just upgraded to family membership. I love the idea of Apple Music, but the interface on the iPhone App is an absolute mess!! It takes me ages to find my playlists. Before I upgraded to family membership it wouldn't let me listen to tracks that I had previously purchased through iTunes if someone else in my household was listening to Apple Music on another device. It's difficult to download individual tracks locally on the iPhone app, but it will let you download whole albums. There is no easy way of purchasing an Apple Music track via iTunes (without the DRM) for use in other apps. It doesn't work on the AppleTV (the last gen one anyway - although you can stream Apple Music from your phone). Ok the list goes on and on with gripes with it. The idea is great, but the implementation is poor. And don't get me started on how Apple have screwed up iTunes...

Reactions: JungleNYC

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
They should have fixed the interface after launch, concerned that Apple Music and it's overhaul (front end ) is going to a major innovation at wwdc. Along with new beats products .

Reactions: Vanilla35

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Skylake MBP (with redesign)
Skylake Mini
Skylake iMac (all the line)
New MP

Watch bands
Watch 2
14 MBA

New Apple Music
New iTunes
New Mac OS (preview)
New iOS (preview)

Seems like they should have booked for 4 hours keynote......

No need to talk about those, just updates in the Apple Store
Not gonna happen

----

one of the many reasons AM is pure crap ....

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 812

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I never had an issue with Apple Music. Once you understand there are two distinct sections for music, the catalog and your Library (and that you can add components of the streaming catalog into your library), it's pretty easy to use. The only issue I had is that clicking search doesn't always return a result. At all.

My hope is that we have an expansion of the Beats music channels. Would be nice to have some additional variety.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Skylake MBP (with redesign) - Yes.
Skylake Mini - Yes.
Skylake iMac (all the line) - Yes.
New MP - No.
Watch bands - Maybe and if so won't take up much stage time.
Watch 2 - No. September.
14 MBA - Eh?
New Apple Music - Yes. It's the one-year anniversary.
New iTunes - Yes.
New Mac OS (preview) - Definitely.
New iOS (preview) - Definitely.

Reactions: lluvia357

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
I really hope it gets its own app and/or a web client. it'd be great if it had an API too so other apps could integrate with it like how IFTTT, Shazam and Uber integrate with Spotify.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Yeah and it will require iOS 10 leaving those of us on iOS 8 in the dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.