Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced that it has added Apple Music to Music Freedom, allowing Simple Choice customers to listen to the streaming music service without the cellular data counting against their monthly 4G LTE data plan. Apple Music joins dozens of other streaming music services supported by Music Freedom, including Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, SoundCloud and SiriusXM.

Apple-Music-T-Mobile-Music-Freedom.jpg

T-Mobile also announced that customers who purchase an iPhone 6 for $15 per month through the JUMP! On Demand trade-in program will be automatically eligible to receive a free upgrade to the next iPhone -- the so-called "iPhone 6s" -- when it is released, with the $15 monthly promotional price carrying over to the new smartphone.

Purchasing an iPhone 6 through JUMP! On Demand will also land you priority access to the next iPhone, when T-Mobile receives inventory of the next-generation device, for those that upgrade within the first 48 hours of availability. T-Mobile claims these two new Apple promotions are the last of the carrier's Un-carrier Amped moves this summer.

Article Link: T-Mobile Adds Apple Music to Music Freedom, Offers Free 'iPhone 6s' Upgrade With iPhone 6 Trade-In

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Very tempting offer. Still, I'm assuming if I want the 64GB models I have to shell out $100 now and $100 when the 6S comes out. Still might be worth it though.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
With all these whitelisted data offerings it's becoming less and less necessary to even have an unlimited data plan on T-Mobile.

Video. Doubt they'll be whitelisting video services anytime soon.

I friggin love T-Mobile, they just gotta improve coverage though, that's the one thing they are lacking. Even in cities where they claim they have excellent coverage it's just not as good as AT&T.

Which cities are you referring to? They compete rather well in many.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
At what point will Apple rename the possible iPhone line up, 6S and 6S Plus.
Air and Pro comes to mind.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I friggin love T-Mobile, they just gotta improve coverage though, that's the one thing they are lacking. Even in cities where they claim they have excellent coverage it's just not as good as AT&T.
Pretty much this. I have a corp discount of 20% on ATT which has kept me on that service, but at this point Tmob is still cheaper, the only issue is coverage. Fix that and I am all in (four lines).

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So how does that price carrying over will work? For example if I still have $300 left on my installment plan will that mean I will only have $300 left over for the 6s? If yes that would be a sweet deal. I hope they can do that with the 6+ because that is what I have.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Apple Music has never counted against my data. This is more for PR than anything else.

iTunes Radio has been covered, but Apple Music had to be made official, since it's a new service.

Maybe Team Magenta is also giving Cupertino some lip service with this latest announcement... it would seriously be a game changer in the wireless industry if Apple decided to acquire T-Mobile USA. I know, one can dream, right?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The more I read about American carriers, the more I hate what Canada has to offer for phone plans. I'd be paying big bucks to get out of my contract that fast AND we don't have anything close to a whitelist for LTE, let alone decent plans. Pretty sure apple music would suck up my entire data plan in a day.
Don't read up on European networks then ;)
That said I don't think we (UK) have a network that offers a service like this, where streaming music doesn't count towards your monthly data limit. If O2 adopted this in the UK I'd stick with them. Planning to switch to Three with its unlimited data plan if anyone from O2 is reading this thread.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
So how does that price carrying over will work? For example if I still have $300 left on my installment plan will that mean I will only have $300 left over for the 6s? If yes that would be a sweet deal. I hope they can do that with the 6+ because that is what I have.

No, the regardless, your installment plan would restart from the date of upgrade, but at least you'll be locked in at the $15/mo rate, not the $27/mo that Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure was sniping back about at Legere on Twitter.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
i'm a Verizon customer and frankly they don't give a ****... they have the #1 LTE and Business' love verizon over pricing for some reason. you'll never see Verizon offering its customers any type of deal like this

Reactions: MisterMillz

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC

This is what I want to know as well. I'm already a T-Mobile customer but I don't have the Jump on Demand feature on my plan. I'm tempted to go in trade in my 128gb iPhone 6, get a 64GB iPhone 6 with Jump on Demand and then just swap it out for the 6S once it comes out in September.

I'm curious about the installment plans, i.e. if every time I swap phones, the installment plans resets and I have to start paying it again. My experience with the store associates is that they are not very informed, so I don't really trust asking them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.