Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barthrh

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Dumb reply. You don't see the difference?

Let me explain. HBO MAKES Game of Thrones. Netflix does not. Apple DOESN'T MAKE ANY MUSIC and only DISTRIBUTES said music on behalf of copyright owners.

So why should have exclusive rights of distribution for content it doesn't make?

Because they pay for it? How is this different than games that are XBox or PS4 exclusive for a period of time (not talking about complete exclusives, like Halo)? Or the "R Exclusives" at Toys-R-Us? Or the Costco special editions (i.e. special bundles or item + accessories) that are exclusive to Costco?

Reactions: kerrikins

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
It's called Cannibalistic Capitalism.. and when there are no more new bands coming out because they can't make any money, we can thank Apple for killing the music industry. I give it less than ten years.

Nah, well just have a bigger punk scene and other scenes just like it that move away from mainstream. Then those will become mainstream, and the cycle will repeat.

Reactions: Mindbomb2000

JoeyEatWorld

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Iowa City, IA, USA
Publishers with no creativity except with regard to finance make millions off actual artists... and scream when others make money off them too. Too bad. "Exclusive" for 2 weeks? So? I won't be crying for music publishers or labels, ever.
You said exactly what I was coming into the comments to say. You hit the nail on the head here!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
But when Tidal did it, it was "OK"? Was that because they didn't have the numbers apple music has? :rolleyes:

Exactly

And from the numbers, apple is not the biggest player in the game either.
Good. Apple should be investigated.

For what? Exclusives? I am sure that applies to all correct? You know exclusives that only Target gets, Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Spotify, to name a few. Seriously???

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
But when Tidal did it, it was "OK"? Was that because they didn't have the numbers apple music has? :rolleyes:

Bingo. And what about Target, Walmart, and Best Buy? They get "exclusive" versions of movies, CDs, etc. It happens all the time. And before digital. Then, if you were a completionist, you had to go to 3 different stores, buy the same CD again, all to get the 1 or 2 "bonus tracks exclusive to...." fill in the blank. This is nothing new.

Because a lot of people will grab their Apple pom poms and blindly support Apple thinking 'they' are winning.

Apple's original foray into music was great for the consumer. It brought better pricing than the old CD model. But a lot of their recent activity is more 'anti-competition' at the expense (long term and short term) of the consumer.

Please explain how anything Apple is doing is different from every other music streaming service out there in a way that negatively impacts the consumer. Examples help these types of comments

JoeyEatWorld

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Iowa City, IA, USA
Every business wants to be a capitalist until someone with more money and resources comes along, and then goes screaming on about the injustices. I agree as would most, that exclusivity deals with streaming services suck, but come on: The record label industry had no problems being financial capitalists before Apple and other music streaming companies got into the game.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
apple-music-ios-10-update-800x570.jpg
So me saying "**** you" gets censored, and if I try to get past the profanity filter I get in trouble...

Make up your mind Mac Rumours; You can't be sensitive to bad words but use them in your own posts.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
shouldn't artists be free to decide where and how they want to distribute their work?

how many people are willing to change or opt for a music subscription basing on exclusives? my guess is not many.
usability and interface are still the major downsides of apple music.

Last edited:
Reactions: juice182

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
How dare Apple try to get people to pay money for entertainment that costs money to produce! That’s not a world anybody under the age of 30 wants to live in.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
A record company executive crying about perceived unfair and unethical business practices...

The irony is so, so strong here.

mintjulep

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2016
Read Lefsetz letter and wasn't convinced with his arguments. Artists already make very little per stream basis; free tiers only serve to promote a downward push on payouts. Look at Spotify, with it's free tier and massive user base, which is pressing labels to accept a smaller percentage! Not cool!

On the other hand, Apple Music is fostering a culture of paying subscribers. AM exclusives aren't long - one or two weeks is not the same as a permanent exclusive (a la Tidal and Lemonade). I doubt that short window is enough to push someone to abandon their service of choice. He also says indie artists are being pushed to the side by Apple, which I don't think is the case. Any music service is going to push big names hard, but I think Beats 1 DJs do an exceptional job in promoting indie/up and coming artists in their rotation. Overall Lefsetz heart seems to be in the right place (with the artist), but I think his argument against Apple and streaming falls short.

Reactions: Mindbomb2000

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Listen to <random album> available exclusively on <specific streaming service>, and The PirateBay..

..Or do Streaming companies actually believe that users will change service every other month instead of just downloading it?

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Such outrage over the great artists of our time...

...like britney spears, drake, and backstreet boys...it did say backstreet boys, right?

Reactions: Analog Kid

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
"The rich get richer and the rest of us…we’re left out, just like in America at large"

Coming from a guy that makes 35 million/year, this doesn't carry much weight. Although, I do agree with him.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
I'm not sure I know which way to feel about this yet..I mean, all kinds of stuff is exclusive. I don't get new HBO shows unless I pay them! How horrible! I don't get to watch a movie in a movie theatre unless I go to one of those 'exclusive' movie theatre chains. At the same time I see the shortsightedness of this POV. But his whole argument that somehow it's anti-America is sort of funny given the recording industry is one of the most corrupt and ugly in the universe. I can't play certain games because they are ONLY on certain game systems, where the hardware maker finances the creation of games for their system. I guess his complaint is really - he industry I'm in will soon be worthless as others will finance music. I mean, what about the video content that's only on Amazon Prime? I don't know...
[doublepost=1472069539][/doublepost]
Yes, but movies are available in multiple theaters and then their Blu-Rays are available in multiple stores and the digital downloads are on multiple sites.

I think people want music to be more like movies than the want it to be like like broadcast TV.

But what about TV shows ONLY on Netflix or Amazon Prime or HBO?

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
capitalism should encourage competition. if there was healthy competition apple wouldn't have so much money and have such large profits
It's not Apple's fault that other services aren't as competitive. Or that they don't have a PROFITABLE business plan.

Reactions: kerrikins

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
One thing is driving this: the record companies. The fact is, if everybody wants to stream, all the time, then a company that exclusively does streaming, like Spotify, has no capital to operate on. Why does it pay so little to the artists? Because it's paying the labels. They take a big chunk. But if people get crazy with paying more than $7, or $10 a month, then you have no choice. To stay in the biz, you have to promote. Where do you get that money?

The future is simply that large companies with a lot of cash in other businesses will run streaming services as a way to get customers into the stream. A brief exclusive brings people in. (Not total, that would raise questions, and the artist's manager should be fired too.) But the sad fact is, you don't want to buy your music, .99c, or $1.29 a track? Then you get the stream. How does that pay for itself? Well, it exists in a very competitive market, and it better have a better advertising budget than just bitching about conspiracies. It's not a conspiracy, unless it's a way to get more money into the record labels. So Apple, Google, Amazon, companies that big, that make money in many other ways than music, can own lots of juke boxes. In your pocket. Not to make money there, but to be in your pocket.

Last edited:

teabonesteak

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Yeah, you tell them man! Let's also cry because Game of Thrones is an HBO-exclusive and not on Netflix as well. HBO "should be investigated by the government for antitrust", right?

not the same, HBO creates their own content. in this case, apple throws their money and just out pays to get exclusivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.