Apple Named Most Valuable Billion Dollar Brand in America

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has been named the most valuable billion-dollar company in the United States by brand identity firm Brand Finance, reports the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

[​IMG]
    The standing was revealed in a new rankings report done by the firm which listed the top 50 billion-dollar brand names in the U.S., as Apple's $104.6 billion valuation was ahead of other technology companies including Google, Microsoft and Verizon which were valued at $68.6 billion, $62.8 billion, and $53.5 billion, respectively.

Throughout the past year, a number of other sources have also regarded Apple to be among the world's most valuable companies, with brand identity firm Interbrand putting the company's value above Coca-Cola and American business magazine Forbes heralding Apple as the world's "Most Admired Company" ahead of Amazon.

Article Link: Apple Named Most Valuable Billion Dollar Brand in America

2. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Tell us something new! ;)

3. macrumors 68040

MattG

Don't forget though, they're "haunted."

4. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

In before "Apple is doomed!"

Take that Kane!

I don't see Samsung or HTC on there though...
    Is HTC even a billion dollar company...?

5. osofast240sx, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Kane you're a loooooooser!!
    Doomed not!
    WSJ needs to fire who ever hired her!

6. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

But that lady's book said they're DOOMED!!!! :-/

7. macrumors 6502

I'll refer you to the title of the article. You'll see why they're not on there. (not that they would be anyway...)

8. macrumors 6502

violst

I guess Yukari Kane has to eat his words and his book!

9. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Maybe because their not American companies! ;)

Just remember that the mighty can fall. Blackberry, Nokia etc..... No company is immune to this.

10. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Samsung is valued at 39.6 billion

11. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

This is a list of most valuable brands "by estimating the royalty rate that would be charged for use of the brand and factoring in future revenue."

So this is either more sketchy analyst guesswork disguised as 'analysis' or it's just a statement of the obvious.

12. macrumors 68020

Dat all seeing Apple eye.

Scary.

13. violst, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

macrumors 6502

violst

They have a way to go.

14. macrumors 6502a

brianvictor7

Wow! Apple beat out Google by quite a margin!

15. macrumors G4

Small White Car

How else would you value a brand?

Of course it's guesswork. Until Apple decided to sell their brand there's no way to know what someone would actually pay for it.

16. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Except this "accolade" is due to success of current products, all conceptually birthed in the Jobs era. "Haunted," which I personally think is premature and based on thin air, discusses its future. There is no logical connection between the two. Cook still has to prove himself as a successor to Jobs, not a clone of Scully, Spindler, or Amelio. I don't take too much import to this "award" as its a reflection of Apple's past success, not a predictor of its future.

17. macrumors 6502

Yeah they are worth a lot, they have a bunch of morons willing to buy an 8GB old phone for $700!

18. macrumors regular

Constable Odo

Apple is seen as less than Google by a huge margin

Google at $1200 a share with a P/E of 33. Apple at $530 a share with a P/E of 13. I think those figures tell it all about which company is the most valuable and respected tech company on the planet.

YTD even Microsoft has outperformed Apple in share value by a huge amount. Apple's so-called value isn't worth anything on Wall Street. The company most likely to be doomed is still Apple, first and foremost. They can spin it any way they want but Google is considered a much more valuable company than Apple. Google is seen as going places in the future and Apple is seen as going nowhere. Having control over "the internet of things" is seen as having more value than "one new iPhone after another." Google is going up in value. Apple is going down in value. That's a fact.

19. macrumors member

k4rrjin

lol Kane

Pretty good for a "haunted" and allegedly dieing company! :apple:

20. macrumors 68020

what about Exxon?

----------

I will agree that Apple is stagnant in growth at this time but where is Google going? I don't see them revolutionizing anything.

And you do realize that share prices mean nothing, right?

21. macrumors regular

P/E is not the measure of that "value". A value here is an aggregate of excess money purchasers would pay compared to non branded or similarly build substitutes.

22. samcraig, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014

macrumors G5

I believe there's a difference between being on a decline vs dying. Unless one is being over-dramatic.

23. macrumors 6502

I'd rather own Coca-Cola than Apple, to be honest. :eek::D

24. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

The difference between Google and Apple is whereas Apple keeps what they're working on a secret, Google doesn't. Whereas Google releases products before they're ready, Apple doesn't. So Google is seen as moving at a quicker, more steady rate, because we get to see all the neat toys they're working on. Apple doesn't show us their toys until they've been perfected.

So really, Apple may or may not be ahead of Google. We can't know until they reveal and release their products this year. I'd be willing to bet that Apple is ahead, just because they have been in the past, but of course I could be wrong.

On another note entirely, I didn't realize I work for the ninth most valuable brand in the world.

25. macrumors regular

You know Apple and Google are the only reason AT&T and Verizon are on that list at all.