Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
You just showed you don't have a clue how share prices work. Wall Street clearly values Apple more than Google. The metric you are looking for is "market value" also know as market capitalization or market cap. Share price is determined by how many stocks you have issued which is completely under your control. For instance, I can have a higher stock price than Google by issuing just one share of stock at $1300. As long as my company is valued at least $1300 of course. Then I have a stock price higher than Google. Apple issues more shares than Google hence the stock price is lower but they could just issue less shares if they wanted to just make the stock price look lower. Likewise, Google could just do a stock split and make their stock price just $10 if they wanted to. (Neither moves would actually change the market value though.)

Therefore share price is only useful for comparing a particular company's value over time and even then it doesn't work when stocks are split and more shares are issued.

Market value is what you're looking for if you want to compare value between companies. And Apple's market value according to Wall Street is over 100 billion more than Google.

These charts might help you understand where Google is compared to Apple:
http://qz.com/137191/googles-record-valuation-is-still-130-billion-short-of-apples/

And some basics on share price vs market cap:
http://stocks.about.com/od/evaluatingstocks/a/stocksmarketcap.htm

Please do some research before you make yourself look silly on public forums.

after reading so many posts in al the threads about the share price and market position,

've come to the realization, that 98% of the people on this forum, especially those who've run out to buy Apple stock do not actually understand what a stock is, how it works and what a publicly traded stock actually is.

And unless we dump everytone into a lecture hall for a few hours, i dont think they've got the collective brain power to get it.

But I Applaud you for trying to actually attempt to talk sense to everyone.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
True....albeit crappier ones.

No one really knows where phones would be today without Apple. Maybe better, maybe worse, maybe something a bit different, who knows? But regardless, people would still be using cell phones and Verizon and AT&T would be doing fine without Apple.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Google at $1200 a share with a P/E of 33. Apple at $530 a share with a P/E of 13. I think those figures tell it all about which company is the most valuable and respected tech company on the planet.

YTD even Microsoft has outperformed Apple in share value by a huge amount. Apple's so-called value isn't worth anything on Wall Street. The company most likely to be doomed is still Apple, first and foremost. They can spin it any way they want but Google is considered a much more valuable company than Apple. Google is seen as going places in the future and Apple is seen as going nowhere. Having control over "the internet of things" is seen as having more value than "one new iPhone after another." Google is going up in value. Apple is going down in value. That's a fact.

uuummmm, through which vehicle will those whom have web experiences brows? And of those vehicles, which drive the fastest, most innovative and expands boundaries of capacity? And by capacity I mean devices that have many lives and not just web browsing but lives in defense, scientific, automotive and medical.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
you have no evidence to support this claim. For all you know, we could have leapfrogged past where we were with some radical new technology we can't think of that changed the world into a entirety different situation.

speculation about "what if" is just that. You can speculate all you want. I can speculate all you want. But what actually happened, is what happened.

Dude....Look up the treo.

Found an old one in a drawer and was reminded of where we were before the iPhone showed up.

Crappy OSs
stylus (pet peeve of mine)
Really crappy OSs in crappy phones.
Blackberry was considered top of the line smart phone (laughable)
texting with number pads....
Reading email was tedious...at best
web surfing...forget about it....
etc.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Dude....Look up the treo.

Found an old one in a drawer and was reminded of where we were before the iPhone showed up.

Crappy OSs
stylus (pet peeve of mine)
Really crappy OSs in crappy phones.
Blackberry was considered top of the line smart phone (laughable)
texting with number pads....
Reading email was tedious...at best
web surfing...forget about it....
etc.

your example of what came before doesn't prove anythign you say.

You cannot speculate what WOULD have happened compared to what did happen. Apple shocked us by releasing something that most people weren't really expecting yet. (There were companies working towards this overall trend, but nobody really expected aApple to do it).

You have no clue. I have no clue. Saying "well, the treo was ******, so therefore everything else they made in the future would have been ****** too" is a logical fallacy.

TYhe only statement you can say is "at the time, The devices were comparitavely crappy in my opinion to what apple brought"

that is the only true statement.

however, we are free to speculate all we want. thats why human beings evolved an imagination.

I'm going to play the speculation game now too, cause im tired and my imagination is runnign wild:

Apple never releases the iPhone. Tech companies realize that the Cell phone is a dying tech and is only a middleware to the gaining of knowledge. the fastest way is direct brain communication with the internet. Tech companies decide instead of being Profit motivated first, they dump all their R&D into implants and instantaneous data request directly from the cerebral cortex. Mankind advances at staggering new paces and within 30 years man is on the moon setting up colonies. All of this was able to happen because Apple's iPhone didnt prove to tech companies that you could make billions on cell phones, so they diversified and invested elsewhere.

Last edited:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Google at $1200 a share with a P/E of 33. Apple at $530 a share with a P/E of 13. I think those figures tell it all about which company is the most valuable and respected tech company on the planet.

YTD even Microsoft has outperformed Apple in share value by a huge amount. Apple's so-called value isn't worth anything on Wall Street. The company most likely to be doomed is still Apple, first and foremost. They can spin it any way they want but Google is considered a much more valuable company than Apple. Google is seen as going places in the future and Apple is seen as going nowhere. Having control over "the internet of things" is seen as having more value than "one new iPhone after another." Google is going up in value. Apple is going down in value. That's a fact.

I guess you don't realize that there far more outstanding Apple shares out there than there are Google shares...which means virtually everything else you have to say here is complete nonsense, based on poor translation of "facts".

----------

You cannot speculate what WOULD have happened compared to what did happen. Apple shocked us by releasing something that most people weren't really expecting yet. (There were companies working towards this overall trend, but nobody really expected aApple to do it).

You have no clue. I have no clue. Saying "well, the treo was ******, so therefore everything else they made in the future would have been ****** too" is a logical fallacy.

TYhe only statement you can say is "at the time, The devices were comparitavely crappy in my opinion to what apple brought"

however, we are free to speculate all we want. thats why human beings evolved an imagination.

I'm going to play the speculation game now too, cause im tired and my imagination is runnign wild:

Apple never releases the iPhone. Tech companies realize that the Cell phone is a dying tech and is only a middleware to the gaining of knowledge. the fastest way is direct brain communication with the internet. Tech companies decide instead of being Profit motivated first, they dump all their R&D into implants and instantaneous data request directly from the cerebral cortex. Mankind advances at staggering new paces and within 30 years man is on the moon setting up colonies. All of this was able to happen because Apple's iPhone didnt prove to tech companies that you could make billions on cell phones, so they diversified and invested elsewhere.

I think you can try to see how far into the future it would take for a phone to match the features of the iPhone without the iPhone existing...and it's probably much further than you give Apple credit for. It wasn't surprising that it was Apple who did this, it was surprising that it was even possible given the trash we were working with. And it took many years of Apple paving the way to even get Android up to snuff, Blackberry proved to not even be capable of reaching the same level and dying, and Windows Phone would certainly have not happened without someone forcing Microsoft's hand.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

You cannot speculate what WOULD have happened compared to what did happen. Apple shocked us by releasing something that most people weren't really expecting yet. (There were companies working towards this overall trend, but nobody really expected Apple to do it).

Like you said, it is only speculation, but mine is based on what actually did happen.

Without the iPhone, you speculate that something might have happened by some company that was 'working towards that direction'. Without any evidence supporting that what you are saying sounds like a pipe dream.

The technology for the iPhone had been around for years, and these other companies weren't motivated or innovative enough to put out anything close to the iPhone. What makes you think that would have changed? The cell phone manufactures still would have made money off the crappy phones of the past.

Look at Nokia and Blackberry for example. Even when they had to change they couldn't. Without the iPhone to run them out of business they would still be going along making tons of cash.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I guess you don't realize that there far more outstanding Apple shares out there than there are Google shares...which means virtually everything else you have to say here is complete nonsense, based on poor translation of "facts".

----------

I think you can try to see how far into the future it would take for a phone to match the features of the iPhone without the iPhone existing...and it's probably much further than you give Apple credit for. It wasn't surprising that it was Apple who did this, it was surprising that it was even possible given the trash we were working with. And it took many years of Apple paving the way to even get Android up to snuff, Blackberry proved to not even be capable of reaching the same level and dying, and Windows Phone would certainly have not happened without someone forcing Microsoft's hand.

oh, jI never discount that Apple very well did Shake things up. we know what did happen

I'm just tired of the speculation that without apple everything would be crap, the world would be ending, and it would bem the 19th century all over again.

Apple did not create the iPhone in a technological vacuum. the technologies that went into the iPhone were already starting to emerge elsewhere. They were just happening slower at the time because the companies already in the cell phone business were being directed by momentum of their current targets.

Apple was free of that momentum since they didnt already exist in the Cell business. They could take the risk because there was no existing market expectations from them. We all know Apple wasn't first for everything in the iPhone. We know they didnt also invent all the technologies that went into the iphone, and the iPhone itself on first launch, actually was behind some of the competition for several aspects of what people had in smart phones.

But what Apple did before most others, was actually make a neat and tidy package that everyone wanted. Not just us geeks and professionals.

That is what shook the world. They did it with Tablets. They did it with MP3 players. And they did it with the Personal computers in the 80s

They didnt invent it all from nowhere. But they did sure as hell make it so that people actually wanted these things, which in turn kick started their prospective markets to what they became.

we can't argue historical fact. We can only argue the blind speculation that "without apple X would never ever have happened" we dont know that. It's speculation and imagination that draws that conclusion. you say BBRY for example would have continued.. but maybe they had something in their plans that was a complete and utter 180 from where we ended up today. We dont know. They might have and decided when the iphone came out to dump everything (there was speculation that BBRY for example did have some ideas)

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
If it hadn't been for Steve Jobs and his convictions about what the iPhone needed to be we'd be stuck with Blackberries, Treos, and Samsung phones that:

• have a small crappy screen to make room for..
  • physical keyboards - everyone knew you had to have a real keyboard
  • Flash compatibility resulting in...
  • Horrible battery life and
  • Frequent crashes

Again, smart phones would be a minority player in the cell phone market today.

Exhibit A:
samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpeg

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I'd put Microsoft over Google at this point...

Microsoft is making small steady strong gains in many outlets. I've been saying it for years, they have been a slow-breathing dragon with/when Balmer at helm, and now they should gain market share slowly with him gone. With the acquisition of Nokia hardware, we need to see a legit mobile phone from them sooner or later to relinquish the brand, and penetrate market share even more.

Also, the only thing Microsoft has to do right away, is create some new messages/campaigns... First things first, fire the whole Marketing team & start fresh.

Microsoft is gaining slowly, and Google is just artificially gaining in hardware/software... but, no matter what, Apple will always lead in hardware... so the one thing that needs to happen in the mid to long-term, so there can be competition within software - Microsoft has to release a native app for Office for iOS. In due time, spark interest for new products from Windows by having the hardware get better to hopefully swing users from software needs to now software/hardware needs. Make the annual updates for Microsoft nice & easy, and do iOS every other year or so.

Apple # 1... Microsoft is #2. The rest I could care less about, especially silly ol' Google. But, I do hope Microsoft gets better. Till then, Apple will always be a top the worlds #1 company in everything except generated revenue, market share, and stock. 3 things most companies care about as a #1 priority, but Apple puts these priorities down a tier. Apple cares more about brand loyalty, customer satisfaction from start to finish, and oh yeah, net profits, which makes them cooler than any other company in my opinion.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Why is everyone now arguing about an imaginary scenario about Apple not existing or influencing the phone market? Sheesh. That's a different universe in which we don't exist... I can't imagine how stressed some of you must get about real things when you're fighting over things that never happened. :confused: It happened... and debating about if it didn't happen isn't going to change anything. Yes, phones were atrocious before Apple innovated... and those atrocious phones seemed pretty cool at the time. They may or may not still have been horrible if it wasn't for Apple. Who knows? And more importantly... who cares at this point? Arguing for the sake of arguing is both nauseating and tiresome.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
If it hadn't been for Steve Jobs and his convictions about what the iPhone needed to be we'd be stuck with Blackberries, Treos, and Samsung phones that:

• Frequent crashes

Exhibit A:

You must have an amazing ability to also see other timelines from alternate futures! Obviously had the glorious Apple (all praise be to it!) not come out with a phone such as the iPhone, there is no one who would have ever figured it out!

OR, you can wake up and get a reality check. As Google has stated in the past they had two models of phone, one with a keyboard and small screen and one with a touch interface.

But keep on believing that Apple is the only one who would have come up with the idea .. it's fun to dream.

Edit : Oh, I guess Apple came up with the form factor before these guys. Funny though, I remember owning several of these devices with the same form factor before the iPhone was ever announced.

8-2-08-skype-windows-mobile.jpg

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Dat all seeing Apple eye.

Scary.

Does that mean Apple is evil too? :D

The difference between Google and Apple is whereas Apple keeps what they're working on a secret, Google doesn't. Whereas Google releases products before they're ready, Apple doesn't. So Google is seen as moving at a quicker, more steady rate, because we get to see all the neat toys they're working on. Apple doesn't show us their toys until they've been perfected.

So really, Apple may or may not be ahead of Google. We can't know until they reveal and release their products this year. I'd be willing to bet that Apple is ahead, just because they have been in the past, but of course I could be wrong.

On another note entirely, I didn't realize I work for the ninth most valuable brand in the world.

Apple Maps. 'Nuff said.

True....albeit crappier ones.

I dunno, some people prefer "dumb phones." They get better battery life too!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
You must have an amazing ability to also see other timelines from alternate futures! Obviously had the glorious Apple (all praise be to it!) not come out with a phone such as the iPhone, there is no one who would have ever figured it out!

OR, you can wake up and get a reality check. As Google has stated in the past they had two models of phone, one with a keyboard and small screen and one with a touch interface.

But keep on believing that Apple is the only one who would have come up with the idea .. it's fun to dream.

Edit : Oh, I guess Apple came up with the form factor before these guys. Funny though, I remember owning several of these devices with the same form factor before the iPhone was ever announced.

phew, that is one ugly azz phone! Looks like one of those huge toy phones you give toddlers.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Does that mean Apple is evil too? :D

Apple Maps. 'Nuff said.

I dunno, some people prefer "dumb phones." They get better battery life too!

Apple definitely has it's share of "evil". if you step outside of the products themselves, A lot of their business practices are inherrently greedy, Anti-competitive and are terrible for the economy. (they hoard cash and pay extremely top heavy salaries at the expenses of others, just like most of the top end companies of today).

I actually like Tim Cook in regards to this. SJ was actually not a very nice person from a business and "ethical" perspective. Cook has brought a lot of transparency to employee rights, 3rd world factories and even towards stock dividends to share holders. Job's just cared about the next yacht.

While there is rumours of Job's secretly giving to charities. He was pretty adamant that his public persona be that of a super rich elitist.

as for "unfinished products" is actually just the way that they Typically do business. I dont think he meant real blunders like Maps. But more like, how and timing of announcements.

Apple likes to finish their products in house as secretely as possible, in order to have a "WOW" factor on launch. When they announce the product is close to when they release the product. They want you to not see it coming so that their products can be seen to "revolutionalize"

Google is different. Google likes to get the products out as fast as possible. often in an unfinished / Beta / Alpha stage in order to actually see the practicality, adoption, and usability in the real world. What you get is a lot less "pop" when it's done. They announce a final product, but we've already seen that product tested in the wild for years. Google Glass is an example of this, and so Was the Nexus Q (that illfated media player)

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK

• Frequent crashes

Exhibit A:

We can all post before and after images :rolleyes:

Dont forget, the iphone didnt have 3G, MMS, App Store amongst other things.

Attachments

• samsung_before_after2.png
    samsung_before_after2.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 103

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
While I agree broadly with what you say here I don't think cook is supposed to be the successor to Jobs in product development I think that wasn't what Jobs had in mind when he recommended him for the CEO job.

You are reading my comparison too literally. I did not mean to imply Cook must become Son of Jobs or Jobs II. Only Jobs could be Jobs. But of all Apple's CEO's only Jobs best understood Apple's market, what products would move the company forward, and how best to market them. And only Jobs actually grew the company. The other 3 bled the company to death with uninspired, cluttered or half-baked product lines.

It's obvious Cook is not an "idea guy"; that has never been his executive role. But as CEO it is one of his duties to both vet ideas from the skunkworks and also participate in fine tuning the concepts he selects for production.

----------

Cook has/is running the accompany well in the field he was active in before. I don't think he was initially hired to be an ideas man.

Since he is not a rah, rah style person (typical for financial people), marketing and showmanship isn't effortless for him.

We do not know whether he has been able to assemble a creative team with visionaries.

He is smart enough to realize that "visionaries: is not his field.

Also, when I see people who always insist on innovate without themselves doing
ANYTHING, I wonder if they have a brain.

If innovation was easy we'd all be doing it.

That's fine, and my post was not to denigrate Cook; but rather to state the obvious that past performance of Job's era products is not a predictor of what's to come in the Cook era. Objectively, Cook has not made his mark yet and many of his decisions, buy his own hindsight, were poorly executed, but the data on him as CEO is still incomplete.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
phew, that is one ugly azz phone! Looks like one of those huge toy phones you give toddlers.

Yes, I agree it is an ugly phone but that is totally besides the point here. The fact is that the form factor (a brick, really) is not new, nor are large screens, etc etc etc.

Removal of the keyboard and placement of it on the screen? That was done as well, they had onscreen keyboards already, they just also had a physical one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.