Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Wow, I just looked at the Dell thing. I can't believe that here we are over 20 years later, and we're back to the "Luggable" PC concept. :rolleyes:

Serioulsy, I don't think Apple needs to compete with this. A wireless keyboard with the iMac would do virtually the same thing.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
thegreatluke said:
8878.jpg

This?!?

No offense, but I think that's one fugly computer.

Eight speakers?
Wireless keyboard?
20" screen?

Twenty minutes of battery life? ;)

BUAHAHA!!! Just imagine somebody trying to use it on a plane :))) (or anywhere away from a desk)

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
This computer is just an ugly mutt that no one wants and is going to be thrown in the bad design closet in a few years just like the dell MP3 player. Dell needs to create their own niche much like Apple has, stop trying to get into everyone else's market unless you can do it better.BTW all Mac laptops can hold 4Gb of ram, if you feel like dishing out 4 grand...

Also do we need a computer using an even bigger Lithium battery from sony...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jessica. said:
If you need a laptop it should be something you can hold all day if you have to on your shoulder. If you want a desktop, buy one for about 1/2 the price. ;)

Some of us who live in small apartments are in the market for a portable desktop; if Apple introduced a top-spec 19" MacBookPro I'd buy it. I could then get rid of the tower and monitor and use it in a number of places around the flat and put it away when I was finished... last I heard, the iMac didn't run on batteries. ;)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I like the idea of the XPS M2010. I seriously considered it as a Windows MBP 17" backup, as I don't carry the MBP around and I do use it as a transportable desktop. I was also interested in OSX86 for a while but it's not a professionally practical way of running OS X... it's more for nerds to show off and cock a snook at Apple. The XPS is a more powerful machine than an MBP but is luggable. It is basically a luggable all-in-one LAN party machine. Of course individual components may not be easy to replace but are they on an MBP too? This is probably not a machine for people who only own one PC: but is a rather nice niche product.

I did decide however that I did actually want a degree of luggability beyond what the XPS offers. I was also looking at the Samsung M70, which offers a detachable 19" screen while maintaining the normal laptop profile.

In the end I purchased an HP NX9420 to back up my MBP. Same core hardware specs essentially, but better built than the MBP17", a higher quality item, runs cooler, and is upgradable to a real warranty for minimal cost. I also like the crisp, businesslike styling almost as much as the MBP's sleek form. It's not anywhere near as showy yet it looks like it means business. That's more "me". It would be absolutely ideal if I was able to legally and properly run OS X on this machine instead of the Macbook Pro but that ain't going to happen.

For most things not involving my personal amusement, I've come to the conclusion that I'm fairly OS agnostic. OS X is more personally productive in certain aspects and I do tend to turn to the Mac for doing research where I'm looking at lots of different things in one go, but I don't find Windows overtly onerous either. In fact, based on the unreliability of Apple hardware (and most importantly their inability to support the hardware to the standards I'm used to) I've virtually switched back to Windows - the Macbook Pro and the Mini are all the Macs that are left from my initial almost total conversion.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sesshi said:
I like the idea of the XPS M2010. I seriously considered it as a Windows MBP 17" backup, as I don't carry the MBP around and I do use it as a transportable desktop. I was also interested in OSX86 for a while but it's not a professionally practical way of running OS X... it's more for nerds to show off and cock a snook at Apple. The XPS is a more powerful machine than an MBP but is luggable. It is basically a luggable all-in-one LAN party machine. Of course individual components may not be easy to replace but are they on an MBP too? This is probably not a machine for people who only own one PC: but is a rather nice niche product.
Wow, I consider my 20" iMac Core Duo a much better buy for a luggable all-in-one LAN party machine. It's only a few more pounds more then the XPS M2010 and MUCH cheaper too.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
steamboat26 said:
I could make it portable, with a battery,
or check this out...mac mini mod
..and its probably still lighter than the dell :D

You're comparing like... a 6" screen to a 20"... a full size keyboard to a thumbboard...

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Eidorian said:
Wow, I consider my 20" iMac Core Duo a much better buy for a luggable all-in-one LAN party machine. It's only a few more pounds more then the XPS M2010 and MUCH cheaper too.

The X1800 is rather different from an underclocked X1600... among other differences. The XPS M2010 will blow the iMac away in terms of general performance, especially for entertainment.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Sesshi said:
The X1800 is rather different from an underclocked X1600... among other differences. The XPS M2010 will blow the iMac away in terms of general performance, especially for entertainment.
There arent too many games that the X1600 cant handle right now, however in a few months aka Vista then you will wish you have the X1800.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
jordansampson said:
its pretty ugly but its ment as a portable desktop (as is the MBP). The removable key board is a great thing to have if you have it docked with an external mon.

not saying apple should do this but it not a "bad" feature.

I wouldn't call an MBP a 'desktop replacement' - sure, it has more power than a lot of desktops out there, but it retains an incredibly thin and light size. This Dell machine, on the other hand, looks a bit big.

I suppose the 17" MBP could be considered a desktop replacement - but still, not in the same way as the Toshibas with 2 hard drives and 2 graphics cards or the Dells with 20" screens are.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
bbrosemer said:
There arent too many games that the X1600 cant handle right now, however in a few months aka Vista then you will wish you have the X1800.

The X1600 will run Vista (and Aero) without a hitch.

Even the integrated graphics in the Macbook and Mini will run Aero without any problems, as long as they have sufficient ram (1 GB or more).

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
The X1600 will run Vista (and Aero) without a hitch.

Even the integrated graphics in the Macbook and Mini will run Aero without any problems, as long as they have sufficient ram (1 GB or more).
I meant the games that come out when Vista does, I know I have put Vista on both a MacBook and a MacBook Pro

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Some of us who live in small apartments are in the market for a portable desktop; if Apple introduced a top-spec 19" MacBookPro I'd buy it. I could then get rid of the tower and monitor and use it in a number of places around the flat and put it away when I was finished... last I heard, the iMac didn't run on batteries. ;)

I don't think the M2010 does either.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

The number of times I've wished it did would be numerous*.
Only needs a small battery, enough to fail gracefully when the power goes out.
Enough to close any networked files and suspend to disk 10min might be enough.

*Design offices tend to all be in the parts of Sydney that have unreliable power and have too many Blonds** on staff.
** I'm not calling Blonds dumb, more anti-smart they have an effect that seems to make stuff not work.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I don't think apple has to worry about competition coming from that model, it doesn't look too promising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.