Apple needs to come out with backlit desktop keyboards, no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, May 9, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it be great if they came out with backlit desktop bluetooth keyboards with the new g5's? nice.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

They definitely should, seeing how most people who wants the backlit look at the kb every 2 seconds when they type 'cause they don't know where the hell the keys are.

Actually, some company came out w/ the idea already, it's just not as expensive as one apple would sell w/ their logo on it. Use google.

3. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

I never look at it except when using pro tools. Studio environments, if the owners are smart, are kept low lit- keeps out interference from the bulbs and electric circuitry. Even when you're a good typer, it's nice to be able to see the keyboard when you've got your other hand on the faders, and you're trying to twist the knobs of the Comp. all while punching in a guitar part. I'd get one.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It would be fine for a normal keyboard, but with the usb hub in the apple keyboards, you may have a problem. It may take too much power when you have a mouse and some other device plugged in.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'd buy one. Even though I have a laptop, I would get one, and use it with an external display. Maybe Stevo has one hiding up his sleeve and will release it @ WWDC.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

i like the idea, but I am probably not the normal user....

7. AdamZ macrumors regular

yes please

I too would buy one, but I am still waiting for the backlit keyboard in the 12 inch Powerbook!!!

8. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

IMO, the backlit feature is pointless on a laptop. I haven't used it since my new PB arrived. The illumination from the screen is bright enough to see the keys!

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

You know what would be absolutely AWESOME....

A black/dark metal look keyboard which lights up bright blue-white keys the reflect the current keyboard mode, ie SHIFT/CAPSLOCK, ALT(Command) and CONTROL :)

Even better, one that supports Final Cut with a touch of a button!

Yeah, I know, not going to happen anytime soon...

10. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

maybe yes, maybe not

One thing that you must consider is the brightness of the display.

Maybe a system like that is on the new Powerbooks could be used. An ambient light sensor would illuminate the keyboard and dim the display when the room lighting is low. I would hate to be manually adjusting the keyboard illumination and turning the brightness on the monitor down all the time.

For example:
    In a studio, this system would be great as the ambient light would be constant. However for the average person who has their mac in a study etc. with a window and natural sunlight you would have to turn it on every night to see your keys and adjusting your monitor so you don't burn your eyes out :eek: :eek:

aussie_geek

11. sketchy macrumors regular

12. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

13. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I would have bought one if I hadn't got my bluetooth keyboard

14. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

That would be cool, except being for a desktop computer and all, you should already have sufficient lighting from other sources.

15. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Oooohhhh not in my room, it's pitch black when I'm on the coputer, the only light source I have in my room is:

AirPotrt Base station
    cable modem
    lcd screen
    2x ctr screens
    led lights on my external HD
    led lights on my fan for my computer
    glow in the dark action figures (alot of them)
    glow in the dark stickers on my wall

My room is lit up like a christmas tree, and there are NO halogen/filiment lightbulbs.

...actualy the story of the filiment lightbulb is quite facinating...getting off topic again. tipical of me :rolleyes:

16. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Well then in that situation... I think a desktop Apple Backlit keyboard would be a spectacular product :D

17. sUn macrumors newbie

But wouldn't that mean giving up battery time, if so much power is being used into keeping the keyboard on.