Apple needs to stop placing ads on...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KingYaba, Aug 29, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Apple needs to stop placing their newest "Hi, I'm a Mac" adds on their main web-page. It's lagging the crap out of my computers when I go on their website. For those of us with older machines, it's a pain to have to endure the long lag times loading, and trying to quickly click the store tab. Instead it plays the movie and my mouse turns to that spinning wheel. So I get to sit there for a while just watching the video at maybe .05 frames a sec with broken audio and absolutely no chance of quickly changing the web-page. It's a huge annoyance.

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I agree! They could at least make it Flash, QT is way too slow. Haven't they learned anything from their old iLife '06 and iMac page? (If you don't know they had these fancy headers using the same QT plugin, but they had to take them down because it was way too slow)

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree as well. I'm all for the new ads, and I think they're great, but I think it's a bit much to have them on the Apple main page. Being that Apple.com is my homepage, if I load up Safari to go to some site, well, I start hearing the audio for the ads, which I don't really care to - especially if I'm listening to iTunes at the time! And at work, my XP box doesn't have QT installed, so it's pointless in that situation as well.

What impresses me though is that there are supposedly 20 more of these ads or so in the pipeline - I'm looking forward to seeing them! :cool:

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I also agree. I love the ads, but I don't want to see it every time I go to the Apple homepage. It would be much nicer if they had a screenshot of the ads with a link to the full version.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The only thing I don't like is the QT load-lag.

I have very fast internet, so the file itself isn't a problem, but in a recent (6 months? year?) revision of QT/OS X it has starting taking a really long time for quicktime to load into the browser, and locking up the browser in the process. Both on my PB G4 and DP G5, which makes sites with embedded QT vids VERY annoying. :confused:

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I didn't stop to think there were others who were bothered with this. As mentioned, the ads themselves are not the issue. It's the loading drag, sometimes more than other times, but it's to the point where I've just changed my home page until the Apple page opens with another less bothersome idea.

7. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Same here. My computer at work though tends to crash on any sites that have a quicktime video so going to the Apple site when they have the ads I'm restarting IE quite frequently.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Doesn't get in my way at all. The video's always started up straight away on any of my machines since the ads first came out, even the older ones I have.

Just how prehistoric are your 'puters / connections? :p

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, it's annoying. Open up QuickTime Preferences and deselect the option to automatically play videos on websites.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

11. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

How many times a day do you log on to apple website?

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

As I stated above, it's my homepage, so how about every single time I launch my browser? :p ;) :cool:

13. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

My homepage has always been news.google.com :) I never liked having apple as my homepage they always have tons of stuff on there website.

If you dont need quicktime you could always delete quicktime :)

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't visit apple site much so it doesn't bother me....but I see where you are coming from being your home page in all that....email SJ and tell him to knock it off.

Bless

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I already have, he won't respond for some reason though... ;) :D

16. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ok I use my 400mhz G3 "Pismo" more than anything. I visit Apple's website a few times a week and admire the machines I can never afford. I'm running Time Warner's cable so its just the computer. The eMac can handle it perfectly. But I'm not on the eMac all the time.