Apple network alternatives?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by junny, Mar 14, 2004.

1. junny macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2004
    I've got a plan to split a ADSL connection between the G5 I get (whenever the new ones are released) and my dads PC. He'll be connected to the modem and I'll have wireless access from my room. As much as I want to drill holes in walls and setup meters of cable...

I'm planning on getting something like this:

My question is, I know I'll have to get a network card for dad's machine, but if I get the same one for mine will it work on the mac?

I'd rather not have to spend the extra cash on the airport extreme.

Any feedback or recommendations would be great
  2. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    im not sure i understand.....

y do u need a network card if this AP has wireless?
  3. junny thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2004
    I want to plug the PC into the access point as it's easier and the AP will be next to it and the phone line... it makes sense rather than using wireless for the HUGE gap of 15 inches!!

I need wireless for my end as it's easier and I just need info for the Airport wireless card alternatives due to $$ and I want to make sure I'm not buying stuff that has a history of clashing with the mac/pc differences.

I'm not too worried about sharing files, I just want to share the internet bill
  4. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    From what I understand, you want to split a connection with your dads' PC, which will be connected to your modem by cable, you wirelessly.
    If that is correct, then you only need a wireless card for your computer, and a wireless router. You could go the AE route, or choose a card or router that fit your needs/budget. As long as the wireless protocols are the same (b,g etc), you can mix and match might want to buy the AE for convenience, it will work with any router you choose as mentioned...If I didn't understand your question, sorry for the poor advice.
  5. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    A network card is less than $20 from Dicksmiths. I installed one two weeks back to get my ADSL operational with my old 98 machine (yet to switch - where si my G5PB?). Its a good idea for file exchanging (assuming both machines don't have wireless) and easier to use the modem as a router.

[edit] Ok, someone else with knowledge of using a routed wifi will need to let you know if this should work, but I think then you will be fine to connect to the modem/router via wifi...but someone with experience will need to comment....
  6. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL

Your dads computer needs a network card. If you already have ADSL, there's a good possibly your modem is already connected to the PC via ethernet, meaning he already has a network card.

Your computer will need an AP or another wireless card.

Plug the ADSL modem into the router's WAN port. Plug your dad's PC into the routers built in switch. And then you connect wirelessly.
  7. junny thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2004

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

So before I rush off and buy all kinds of crazy stuff let me make sure I have it right!

Dads PC: Network Card to plug into modem/router
    My invisible mac:ANY wireless network card (but AE would be easier/more expensive)

Need to buy said modem/router and organise an ADSL connection (dialup is CRAP!)

Is that about right? The hardware doesn't matter it just needs to match the wireless protocol.