Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added several new Flyover locations to Apple Maps on Mac and iOS, highlighting landmarks and features in several countries in Europe, including Spain, Italy, Germany, and France. Apple has also added a single location in Mexico and two new locations in Japan.

For those unfamiliar with the Flyover feature in Maps, it lets users see photo-realistic 3D videos of select areas, which they can zoom, pan, and rotate through to get a close up look at notable landmarks and points of interest. Some of the locations listed may have been previously available as Flyover destinations, but were just officially added to Apple's official list of Flyover locations.

applemapsflyovergermany-800x450.jpg

The full list of new Flyover additions:

- Angers, France
- Carcassonne, France
- Florence, Italy
- Genoa, Italy
- Pavia, Italy
- Stuttgart, Germany
- Mannheim, Germany
- Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
- Mexicali, Mexico
- Murcia, Spain
- Nagasaki, Japan
- Shizouka, Japan

Flyover was first introduced alongside iOS 6 in 2012, and over the course of the last three years, Apple has been steadily adding new Flyover locations to the Maps app. As of February, some Flyover locations have been updated with real-time animated landmarks, making the Flyover experience more immersive, and many Flyover locations have an additional City Tour feature that walks users through different landmarks in each city.

Article Link: Apple Adds New Flyover Locations in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Japan and Mexico

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Are these tourist destinations?

To do the entire globe, Apple needs help from NASA. :D ..... or perhaps the 'Apple Satellite' next?......

They all look pretty "touristy" to me. A view of Neuschwanstein Castle isn't going to help many commuters or delivery drivers.

To take this 100% seriously (which I shouldn't)... Flyover data capture requires sub-orbital altitudes, which means NASA would likely be violating sovereign airspace... I'm not sure flyover is worth risking the lives/freedom of the pilots involved. Perhaps the CIA is the more appropriate contractor for the job - send in the drones!

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
I forgot this was even a thing :eek:. I just did the flyover for Tulsa. It's actually really cool. It seems like they've come a long way in imaging quality since iOS 6.

slcoss

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Are these tourist destinations?

To do the entire globe, Apple needs help from NASA. :D ..... or perhaps the 'Apple Satellite' next?......

Well, they all look touristy with the exception of Mexicali... not a tourist destination at all... not even cool to use Flyover as the city is completely plain... (I live here)

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013

Apple today added several new Flyover locations to Apple Maps on Mac and iOS, highlighting landmarks and features in several countries in Europe, including Spain, Italy, Germany, and France. Apple has also added a single location in Mexico and two new locations in Japan.

For those unfamiliar with the Flyover feature in Maps, it lets users see photo-realistic 3D videos of select areas, which they can zoom, pan, and rotate through to get a close up look at notable landmarks and points of interest. Some of the locations listed may have been previously available as Flyover destinations, but were just officially added to Apple's official list of Flyover locations.

applemapsflyovergermany-800x450.jpg

The full list of new Flyover additions:

- Angers, France
- Carcassonne, France
- Florence, Italy
- Genoa, Italy
- Pavia, Italy
- Stuttgart, Germany
- Mannheim, Germany
- Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
- Mexicali, Mexico
- Murcia, Spain
- Nagasaki, Japan
- Shizouka, Japan

Flyover was first introduced alongside iOS 6 in 2012, and over the course of the last three years, Apple has been steadily adding new Flyover locations to the Maps app. As of February, some Flyover locations have been updated with real-time animated landmarks, making the Flyover experience more immersive, and many Flyover locations have an additional City Tour feature that walks users through different landmarks in each city.

Article Link: Apple Adds New Flyover Locations in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Japan and Mexico

Flyover doesn't help you get where you're going - it's just a gimmick feature to allow people to 'remotely fantasize' about famous places in the world they may never go.

Apple is focusing on all the wrong things with maps. Fix your POI and address data. Streamline the process for incorrect map data reporting to make it easier to crowdsource the data to improve maps. Add real-time (accurate) traffic re-routing.

Google maps has all of the above and it's way more capable as a mapping solution.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Apple is focusing on all the wrong things with maps. Fix your POI and address data. Streamline the process for incorrect map data reporting to make it easier to crowdsource the data to improve maps. Add real-time (accurate) traffic re-routing.

Google maps has all of the above and it's way more capable as a mapping solution.

The people who are trying to fix those things are not the same people who are handling flyover. You treating Apple like they couldn't delegate works and should focus on one that still needs tons of data to fix. Google is about 10 years ahead when Apple started its own maps. It will take time but they'll get there for sure.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Flyover doesn't help you get where you're going - it's just a gimmick feature to allow people to 'remotely fantasize' about famous places in the world they may never go....
Speaking purely for the way you may use it (or not use it), of course.

Whether you're talking about Flyover or Street View, some use it to "know before you go." Others, indeed, use it to fantasize, whether that's for a visit one never makes, or to re-visit old haunts. Yeah, it can be "armchair travel," but so what? Armchair travelers are curious about the world about them, which, to me, is a very good thing.

Maps serve more than a single, utilitarian purpose - they serve a wide range of utilitarian purposes, and some that are purely entertainment (what's that saying... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy?"). A fly-over imparts info that cannot be conveyed in an abstract, two-dimensional street grid, and can impart more useful data than a two-dimensional satellite image. Is that information of primary or secondary importance? That, too, will depend on the user's needs.

For me, the more maps, the merrier. I rarely refer to a single map when I travel - each has strengths and weaknesses; as far as I'm concerned, the competition between Apple and Google has been anything but a waste of resources on either company's part.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Whenever I use Flyover I just get this. How long do they expect us to wait. I've never even done a Flyover.

Google does not do this. At least when you open Google Maps you see something. What is Apple using to load this stuff?

Flyover doesn't help you get where you're going - it's just a gimmick feature to allow people to 'remotely fantasize' about famous places in the world they may never go.

Maps should not be released.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 135

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's mildly irritating how many major U.S. cities haven't been mapped yet for flyover. But what really bugs me is this: You're a passenger in a car going down the highway. You tap on restaurants in Apple Maps. It only shows you restaurants behind you in the opposite direction of travel. So you pan up the road ahead to a decent sized town and tap it again. Nope! It takes you back to the town you just passed through 5 minutes ago. I have no idea how they can get the basics so horribly wrong.

Reactions: Aston441

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
The people who are trying to fix those things are not the same people who are handling flyover. You treating Apple like they couldn't delegate works and should focus on one that still needs tons of data to fix. Google is about 10 years ahead when Apple started its own maps. It will take time but they'll get there for sure.

Well then they should fire the flyover people. Obviously, Apple has a pitifully small developer workforce to keep profit margins up.

Why else is everything more buggy than ever, when each iPhone has outsold the last, every single time? Yes, the software has gotten more advanced. Yes, they have more divisions than earlier. -- which is exactly why they should either hire developers more or reallocate useless development.

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
Nice update, but... Mannheim?? While not bad, there is a city next to it called Heidelberg, which is 1000 times nicer, more interesting and suitable to get flyover feature first...

it seems, Tim chooses those flyover locations by playing darts on a map with Phil and eyes closed.

;)

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Do people still use Apple maps? :rolleyes:

At the rate they're going on these flyovers it'll be another 100 years before they map all major cities.

What a silly comment. Yes loads of people do, it's the only maps I use and have never had any issues with it! Having said that yes flyover is kinda pointless but maps work just fine for most people's uses.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
How about you fix clouds in citities ? My city has half a million people.
Couldn't give a **** about flyover.

Also POI's are atrocious... the way to report them is awful even thought it's getting better lately.
There is no way to link them with Yelp/Tripadvisor/Booking etc so what I usually do is creating them in Yelp which Apple later imports.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 10.07.41.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 10.07.41.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,486
Last edited:
Reactions: keifer.street

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It is somewhat comforting to know they are still doing something with the Maps, but I agree with the others, the flyovers and animated landmarks should not be a priority.

I was eagerly awaiting to see what new features the iOS 9 would bring to the Maps and, regrettably, apart from the Transit, not much has changed. The features I needed the most, and requested several times via the Apple feedback, were the possibility to avoid toll roads and some clearer lane guidance on approach to complex junctions. Considering that Apple has been updating the Maps front-end once a year, I guess we are stuck with its current variant for another year now. Meantime, Google & Co update their apps much more frequently.

Apple Maps need to pick it up, as it is the nicest looking of them all at the moment and integrates well into the OS, yet still lags behind on some essential features.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Nice update, but... Mannheim?? While not bad, there is a city next to it called Heidelberg, which is 1000 times nicer, more interesting and suitable to get flyover feature first...

it seems, Tim chooses those flyover locations by playing darts on a map with Phil and eyes closed.

;)
Or perhaps "Tim" and "Phil" are working overtime to make Heidelberg's flyover mesh data crisp and clean to truly showcase that city when they finally release it. Perhaps it's going to be featured in the iOS 10 keynote, and they want to have it just right.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York

Personally I love flyover as it allows me to armchair travel the world. It fun and fascinating. Perhaps you should lighten up a bit instead of being the typical grumpy old man of the likes that loves to bitch and moan and rant on MacRumors.

Oh, and one more thing: You have options and Google is one of them. Use it. See how that works? Isn't life grand?

Do people still use Apple maps? :rolleyes:

At the rate they're going on these flyovers it'll be another 100 years before they map all major cities.

Yes, I do. Almost exclusively. I prefer it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
Or perhaps "Tim" and "Phil" are working overtime to make Heidelberg's flyover mesh data crisp and clean to truly showcase that city when they finally release it. Perhaps it's going to be featured in the iOS 10 keynote, and they want to have it just right.

Sure they do, no doubt about it:

- Let see, Tim, what did you hit?
- Dunno, Phil, seems to be Moscow. But this is no fly zone...
- Ok, let me throw it one more time. Here we go, some hick town called "Mannheim".
- Alright then, crazy Germans again. Send those drones out, see you at lunch.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Personally I love flyover as it allows me to armchair travel the world. It fun and fascinating. Perhaps you should lighten up a bit instead of being the typical grumpy old man of the likes that loves to bitch and moan and rant on MacRumors.

Oh, and one more thing: You have options and Google is one of them. Use it. See how that works? Isn't life grand?
Sadly, Apple has limited Siri integration to Apple maps and won't open up Siri APIs to third party developers.

Being able to say "take me home" from anywhere in the system (even when outside the app itself) and having it open up maps to take you home (or anywhere else) is one the best part about Apple maps.

Even though I actually prefer Google maps, in its current state (because it has more accurate data), I'm generally forced to use Apple maps of I want to use Siri.

So much for choice...

As an aside, I want to love and use Apple maps, I really do - but I'm tired of going to the wrong locations and I can't rely on it, so I feel 'forced' to use Google

It's been several years since Apple maps has been released and their mapping data is just as terrible as when they first started (even though flyover has dramatically improved... and moving landmarks!)

It took me to two wrong places just last week. In the same day. It's near useless as a mapping app as it's currently unreliable.

I'd be fine trusting Apple to 'delegate' if I actually saw results. But I haven't.

Sometimes business is about 'focus'. Instead of trying to do 20 things half-heartedly, you can focus your time, money, and resources on just working on 2 or 3 things and doing them incredibly well.

My point was that Apple should do the latter for maps since they haven't seen any major gains in its mapping data since inception. If they put the weight of their entire mapping division behind 'the right things', I guarantee you we'd see better (and faster) results with regard to the mapping data.

And another thing... the whole 'Google had a head start' only worked for so long. After this many years, that is a cop-out answer and, at this point, it's just an excuse for Apple to hide behind to completely avoid accountability and responsibility for the quality of their product.

Speaking purely for the way you may use it (or not use it), of course.

Whether you're talking about Flyover or Street View, some use it to "know before you go." Others, indeed, use it to fantasize, whether that's for a visit one never makes, or to re-visit old haunts. Yeah, it can be "armchair travel," but so what? Armchair travelers are curious about the world about them, which, to me, is a very good thing.

Maps serve more than a single, utilitarian purpose - they serve a wide range of utilitarian purposes, and some that are purely entertainment (what's that saying... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy?"). A fly-over imparts info that cannot be conveyed in an abstract, two-dimensional street grid, and can impart more useful data than a two-dimensional satellite image. Is that information of primary or secondary importance? That, too, will depend on the user's needs.

For me, the more maps, the merrier. I rarely refer to a single map when I travel - each has strengths and weaknesses; as far as I'm concerned, the competition between Apple and Google has been anything but a waste of resources on either company's part.
I wouldn't mind Flyover as a feature if I could reliably count on Apple maps to get where I'm going. But I can't. It took me to two incorrect locations (and didn't even have the third in its database) just last week alone.

Flyover is a 'bells and whistles' feature for 'armchair' travelers as you pointed out. Nobody - nobody uses it for navigation. Period. It'd be disingenuous to say that you do.

A navigation app is supposed to tell you where to go. Plain and simple. So people get irked when they roll out fancy features for the app when they still haven't gotten the basics right (good mapping data).

The phrase 'it's like putting lipstick on a pig' comes to mind.

Oh boy, here come the "Apple should focus on x,y,z instead of flyover gimmick." At least they're still improving and expanding it 3 years later instead of abandoning it.
Yep. They sure are. Moving landmarks. More flyover locations. Whoo hoo! Now I can get directions to the wrong location... in style!

Meanwhile their mapping data hasn't meaningfully improved in the last several years. And for a navigation app that's supposed to tell you where to go, that's literally the most critical part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.