Apple + Nintendo Design similarities...?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MIDI_EVIL, Jul 10, 2006.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I've searched the forum high and low, and i cannot for the life of me, remember the site that posted the design similarities between Nintendo and Apple hardware over the years.

I'd really like someone to post it again, as my bookmarks were wiped, and it's a very interesting comparison.

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

2. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

DS Lite White + iBook/MacBook White + iPod White equals perfect combination....:D

I'll be interested to know as well if such of a site exists...

3. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

That's just one similarity. There were plenty more.

Thanks to anyone who posts a link.

Rich.

4. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Marry me!

Thank you thank you thank you.

Rich.

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Sorry, but I must decline. ;)

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I've got to say those similarities are kinda a strech...

7. gus4321 macrumors newbie

I actually work at a game store and I was noticing the same thing. I can't remember who I heard it from but someone told me that there was a possibility of Apple buying Nintendo.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

great how they're all so similar. if it's not in colour - it's in shape. I think the Cube pushes it a bit but then again, Apple's system was the Cube G4 or whatever. top.

9. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

i would love for that to happen =D

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Some are quite similar.

The GameCube and Cube- the GameCube had a PowerPC G3 processor, the Cube had a G4. Both similar.

The Mac Mini and the Wii- again, both PowerPC processors, both tiny, both similar form factor.

The DS Lite looks like an iPod or MacBook- and I've always noticed how similar my silver GBA SP looks compared to my mother's 12" aluminum PowerBook.

11. sk1985 macrumors regular

No chance. M$ tried throwing millions and millions in Nintendo's face and they turned down that offer (this was pre-xbox). Nintendo told M$ that the day they sell out to anyone is the same day Nintendo stops making games and consoles. I really don't think Nintendo will sell out to anyone. It really wasn't anything personal with M$, they're in the game biz to make games and not be some large company's b!t@h. Also Nintendo is a very profitable company (and a large one at that), it would take Apple a really large chunk of change to buy them out. Nintendo also might be equally (or close to it) as large of a company as Apple. This kind of makes a buyout less believable. If M$ couldn't buy Nintendo, then I highly doubt apple could.

12. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

i dont remember a gameboy advance with those color buttons before

13. sk1985 macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken that was a shot of one of the prototypes or a limited edition. When the GBA was first shown it had a two tone paint job.

14. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

yeah i think it was a limited edition...

15. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

about the mac mini and Wii thing, I beg to differ. they are different colors, different shapes, and one stand vertically while the other sits horizontally. anyway, what kind of processor is in the Wii?

16. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

It's a IBM powerPC codenamed "Broadway" (made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process) (source: wikipedia) Unofficial sources say it's clocked at 729MHz. About twice the speed of the Gamecube.

I've heard it mentioned, although I'm not positive, it's architecture is based on the g5.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

But they are both tiny, rectangular, slot loading systems barely larger than the disk drive.

And you are incorrect- the Wii can sit horizontally.
    [​IMG]

Looks a lot like a Mac Mini from the front. Just in terms of design philosophy, not exact colors and shape.

The Wii's processor is a PowerPC and based on the GameCube's and natively backwards compatible with it. That's about all we know.

The GameCube had a G3. The Wii could be one of the later G3's (IBM developed >1 GHz G3's that never found its way into a Mac), or a G4 or even G5...who knows.

18. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

last time I checked, the Wii was more of a trapezoid. i've also just done some research and found that the Wii's processor runs at abot 767 Mhz.

19. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Nintendo obviously loves Apple.

Or, they see that people like the plastic styling they use on iMacs, MacBooks and iPods and see that it's a selling point for a Mac, so they just copy it.

And, hey, it works. :)

20. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

the Wii looks great no matter what. it has a good design though...

Well, more fun for less money..that's what the Wii's all about...;)