Apple No Longer Offers Pre-5G Refurb iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by neoelectronaut, Sep 29, 2006.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

With my 3G iPod on it's way out, I was hoping to pick up a 4G 40GB iPod from Apple's site, solely for the Firewire support, as I am stuck with USB 1.1 on my Mac, and I can't wait a week for my iPod to sync.

Regardless, I used to look every month or so and they had some decent deals--such as a 40GB 4G with Dock and accessories for around $249.

Now, all that Apple offers older than the Nano or the iPod "video" is the Mini. Is this temporary or is this a "for good" thing?

2. teckman macrumors newbie

Refurbed iPod@smalldog

www.smalldog.com have a batch of refurbed iPod Photo. I'm not sure that's the iPod you want. It definetely has the Firewire connectivity plus the combo USB 2. They have a small batch to choose from and quite a lot of other iPods to pick from. That's where I picked up my strawberry iPod mini, they call it pink. It was an absolutely a great deal from the refurbed end. Check in the iPod Area. I was looking for an obsolete iPod mini and there it was in smalldog. Great, I got one. There was not an inkling of a problem. It didn't come with the factory box,[who cares,] that's about what I missed about the deal but I have my strawberry iPod mini.

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

This is bad news. There are always 3rd party stores though.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

So that's one vote for Small Dog...any other reccomendations for picking up a 30GB or above iPod Photo/Color Refurb (Or even New...through, if Refurb, I'd like it to look brand new, basically.)

The battery on my 3G is going dead again, and rather than spending $25 to replace it again I figure I'd just be better off getting a new one.

EDIT: The nice thing aboue Apple's refurb 40GB model is they offered it with a dock and charger, which small dog does not. If this would be possible that would be cool also.

5. teckman macrumors newbie

My iPod was perfect if it was new. There was no scratches, dents or smears and shiny just as if the iPod mini was new. I would imagine there would be notes when the iPod is slightly scratch or something by smalldog. They do put notes about products.
    The battery has not failed me. Tho, I used my iPod mini mostly on weekends and use my iMac when at home. The longest I had listened to my music was about 4 hours on one sitting. The iPod battery indicator seemed to have plenty of juice left. Somewhere around half drained.
    There was a few times I disconnected in a hurry while the battery was charging. It seemed to give about an hour worth playing time. That was about enough time to go do laundry and return. I usaully wait until the indicator stops pulsating and then I'm sure i have a good enough charge. I have not even tried to listen to 8 hours of music on one sitting. I could probably add a few sitting sessions to make 8 hours worth of playing just so I could actually find out if my iPod goes that far. I'm almost sure my iPod mini does. The doubt is all about me. I guess it is a human against machine thingy!!!!

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Refurbished units are always dependent on what needs repair. There should be others but you can never depend on anything really, except those iPods no longer covered by AppleCare. I suppose that's not completely true. Someone may be willing to pay for a replacement.