Apple no longer selling iSight!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by al3000, Aug 20, 2006.

1. al3000 macrumors 6502

I have got a Powerbook and am off to Uni in October so had planned to buy an iSight so that I can keep in touch with home...Just been onto the apple store (UK) and there is no sight of it whatsoever...the only thing iSight related is this light for it, and an iSight accessory kit. Anyone know if this is the end of the iSight!? :confused:

Thanks in advance :)

Ps. Also, (if apple are still selling it), does it come with photobooth or a similar program?

2. cbetta macrumors regular

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It's no longer available on the European Apple Stores, due to some EU hazardous material law.. There was already a post about this. You can still buy it from Apple Stores outside the EU though.;)

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Still on the US store. And there was no software beyond drivers that came with mine when I got it.
    I believe Photobooth is going to be part of the Leopard OS.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i just checked and the US store still has 'em.

6. al3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh thats so annoying.

Could anyone recommend any good mac-compatible webcams?

7. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

To be exact, no new equipment can be sold in the EU that has solder on the PCB that contains lead. Since june 1st this year.
    You might wanna check for second hand, with lotsa people buying new Macbooks with build in iSight...
    It is allowed to repair equipment with lead solder, so no problems if you buy an existing iSight.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Ebay is your friend, I saw some on their yesterday (UK).

9. al3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, think I will give ebay a go.

Is iSight compatible with iChat & no other apps? Ie. Can you use it for takin general photos or in msn... or only for video chats in ichat? thanks

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Forum search for more details on this, but every application that can make use of a webcam on the Mac pretty much supports the iSight... the list includes:

- iChatAV for AIM
    - Yahoo for Yahoo Msngr (some people say it's nice and others say it's crap)
    - aMSN and Mercury Messenger if you want MSN webcam (but it's video+text, not video+audio)
    - Skype with Video beta
    - iMovie for capturing off the cam

Etc...

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

a note about webcams with Microsoft Messenger. MSN Msg does NOT support webcams so you will want to use another msn client for that. Yahoo for mac supports the iSights however.

13. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

You could also use the free quicktime broadcaster that enables you to use the iSight for streaming video over the Internet or you can use it to record directly to your hard drive. Yea baby!:cool:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/broadcaster/

There are also shareware programs that allow your isight to act like a bar code scanner (Booxter, etc). This way you can create a database of your CD's, books etc...

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I downloaded this and never played with it, but now I'm very tempted to try out using my iSight as a kitty cam... (I'm adopting the cutest 12 week old rescued feral kitten, with any luck, tomorrow). :)

15. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

If only more people would adopt. We have 2 rescued dogs that are part of our family. :)

16. wisredz macrumors regular

They are available here in Turkey with the same price as UK. Don't know if you can have apple tr to ship it international...

17. al3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and get one over the next few days.

Does anyone know of an app that I can download, that will allow me to take still photos with it? thanks :)

18. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

you can try just plain old quicktime, but if you dont mind being a little dirty you can look to bittorrent sites or limewire to d.l. photobooth, which is a pretty cool app made by apple. i would purchase it legally, but there is no current offering of this by apple. best of luck

19. pmhuei macrumors newbie

Aussie Isight

Those of you who have doubt if Isight is still exist on this world, i can reassure you here, they are!. I only just bought two brand new Isights from my local Apple Centre in Western Australia. Indeed, they are in great demand and most stores are out of it at the moment. I guess you can try our aussie apple site and order through there. Good Luck mate! Cheers.

20. A3racer macrumors newbie

I had the same problem last week and couldn't really get much information out of Apple at all but I did find a very useful link for those wanting an iSight:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=608

You will see that from the information on this page they seem to be thinking of doing a new iSight for mainland Europe.

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Unfortunately that article is from August 2004!! Apple really should release an updated iSight. I don't particularly care if they improve the features or not, keep it the same, just replace the lead and drop the price and all will be good. :)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Try the Macam by MacAlly. :)

aMSN supports webcams, so if your friends are on MSN, no problem. :)

23. A3racer macrumors newbie

Sorry I didn't spot the date. I was just so caught up with the fact that there might be a new iSight.

24. cbr.ar macrumors newbie

Found webcam mac mini compatible

Finally, after a long research viewing brochures from almost all webcams being sold in my country I found one which WORKS the genius LOOK 315FS !!!
    It's much cheaper than the isight AND it has a built-in MIC which is great for mac minis.
    Both the webcam and mic are connected through the USB port and I repeat one more time it WORKS !!!
    The bad: Webcam quality is average, the design is a replica of a football ball so you have to hide it ... or ignore it. :D
    The good: Works with Mac and Windows, Mic solution for Mac minis (don't expect high quality, good for chat), very cheap (around u$s 35 in Argentina).
    I've tested succesfully in Windows XP Professional with bootcamp 1.1 in MSN, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk and Skype. (Audio and Video)
    Mac OS X 10.4.7 with Skype 1.5 (audio) and Yahoo Messenger 3.0 (video), because all other IM programs are only chat capabilities.
    I hope it helps.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm glad you found a webcam! :)

So does it need special drivers or does it work out of the box? Does it work with iChatAV (You mentioned Skype and Yahoo only).

Also, just FWIW... all iSights have built in microphones as well (both the external and the internal models -- if you connect an external iSight it will appear as an alternative microphone option even if the computer has a built-in mic).