Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Here’s what you’ll need
  • The AppleCare agreement number from the Proof of Coverage certificate
  • The serial number of the device your AppleCare plan currently covers
  • The new device’s serial number
  • Your original sales receipt for your AppleCare plan and both devices
If you're transferring your AppleCare plan to another person, we’ll also need to know if you bought the device from Apple or a reseller and the new owner’s name and address.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

OP, if the previous owner (who is the original owner) sold you the phone and then transferred AppleCare to your account as outlined in the link cited, you should be able to get this problem cleared up. As others stated, the original owner should be able to go to the store where the phone was purchased and get a receipt printed, to give to you. To make it easier, have him go with you to the Apple Store with original receipt in hand. If he is unwilling to help you, you will end up with a paperweight. Unless he has not been honest with you, it shouldn't be a problem for him to get the receipt and help you out. It is rather strange that you have spent so much time on this, when the remedy is at hand.

gorgedude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2017
Here's what most of you don't get. The OP got AppleCare+ registered on his name along with the iPhone that was purchased. That should automatically prove to them that he is the owner as they don't just let you apply for AC+ on any phone without prior proof/approval that the phone legitimately belongs to the OP.
Nice to say, but that is also not what happened. We have apple written documentation showing they acknowledge the AppleCare+ transferred to my appleID months ago, yet that is not enough to break this free... They acknowledge the phone is doing something weird.. they see the trail, yet can't get over their own process requiring the original receipt. Past registration of AC+ isn't of any help. Again, I get the security feature reasons, but Apples not able to admit that the hard and fast policy is leaving legit customers hurting..

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I took a phone in for a battery replacement. Did the removal of iCloud and factory reset before going to the store. It then claimed it was activated on some random account. I was the original owner, I had AC+ in my name. Took it in and they said I needed the original receipt. I pulled up an email receipt on my other phone from Verizon as proof. Then they said my phone's serial number was tied to an unclaimed phone at a depot... so they couldn't even accept the phone. I spent two hours waiting for them to sort it all out and take my phone for repair. And that is with all original receipts.

Something funky is going on with activations and serial numbers.

sven691103

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Sorry, this is BS. AC+ is a person related insurance. It is not registered to an Apple ID because Apple IDs can be changed. Also Apple workers will never tell you which Apple ID is registered on a device. They don't know this either. They can try to verify you if you're the account owner and help you reset the password but they will never tell you any data on an account other than your own - after verification or who the device is registered to. Your device was probably connected to the previous owners account and when you restored it it asked for the Apple ID. If the previous owner can't remove the device from his account getting the phone unlocked by providing the original proof of purchase is the only way.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Did you setup the phone as new when you received it from the seller or just start using it? If you didn't when you first received it, perhaps it was tied to another user and you are just now finding out.

gorgedude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2017
Sorry, this is BS. AC+ is a person related insurance. It is not registered to an Apple ID because Apple IDs can be changed. Also Apple workers will never tell you which Apple ID is registered on a device. They don't know this either. They can try to verify you if you're the account owner and help you reset the password but they will never tell you any data on an account other than your own - after verification or who the device is registered to. Your device was probably connected to the previous owners account and when you restored it it asked for the Apple ID. If the previous owner can't remove the device from his account getting the phone unlocked by providing the original proof of purchase is the only way.

Not BS, because I have multiple Verbal and written acknowledgements from Apple techs that this and other devices are registered to our AppleID.

Reactions: Breezygirl

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not BS, because I have multiple Verbal and written acknowledgements from Apple techs that this and other devices are registered to our AppleID.
The thing is whatever the case might be with all of that, for Activation Lock, part of the established procedure is the original receipt. Now perhaps the procedure can be improved in some ways, but that is what it has been and what it still is at the moment.

Lovelinus

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
I got an iPhone 7 exchanged at a local AASP and the replacement phone that they have provided has activation lock on it. The local AASP wouldn't help, and the original receipt doesn't help because this is a replacement phone. The senior advisor from Apple even called them up and they refused to help me. I had to send a detailed email about the whole incident, attaching all the relevant documents to Tim Cook, Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi. I received a call from the Tim Cook's office a few days later and lo and behold, the problem was solved and activation lock has been removed :)

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Something similar happened to me too. I bought my 6S from apple through the upgrade program.

I took it in for a screen replacement since the home button was acting up. When I got it back the phone was locked to someone else's name.

I had to show apple my upgrade program receipt which I keep at home in a file. Took an hour and they had to remove it through engineering over the phone. This was april 2016.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
First, this has nothing to do with AppleCare+ being honoured.

How does a digital copy of the original sales receipt between two other parties provide any security that the device I have in my hands is not stolen? Just to be clear, Apple says Original to mean for the very first sale of the device to the first owner, not my receipt as second owner. Is that what you all are meaning as well?
Apple obviously compares the 'original' receipt with their records. Some paper between you and the previous owner doesn't correspond to anything Apple has. Therefore, it's useless. I could make a receipt myself that doesn't prove anything. Activation Lock exists for a specific reason. Apple gives two ways to remove it, as to maintain its security. Use the password or provide the receipt to prove you own it. You must disable activation lock to have a repair.

Here's what most of you don't get. The OP got AppleCare+ registered on his name along with the iPhone that was purchased. That should automatically prove to them that he is the owner as they don't just let you apply for AC+ on any phone without prior proof/approval that the phone legitimately belongs to the OP.
Apple doesn't ask for proof of purchase when you buy AppleCare+. As long as they can inspect it or run diagnostics, they can sell it.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Understand that a original receipt 'fixes' the problem, but your all missing the point that Apple ALREADY confirmed that the original owner removed it from 'find my phone' and AppleID. It's not on their account, it's on some random account that I can't address. Yes, I'm in touch with original owner, but that doesn't mean they still have copy of a phone they sold a year ago or that they are willing to go thru the hassle to obtain again.. It is a defect in a phone that is well within Warranty period. Posters above have confirmed a known issue that is affecting my phone. I have proof of purchase, Apple has confirmed that.. but no fix provided. That's my problem.

Sounds like you are stuck at the moment. I have dealt with large corporations before regarding their flawed customer service and lack of reasonable expectation. My issue went on for months. Each time I called I talked to a different rep, (This was not Apple it was a satellite TV provider). Got a different answer and was never able to resolve the issue. It appeared each rep interpreted the company rules differently, which lead to confusion and misinformation. In my experience dealing with a large corporation's customer service in general is confusing. If you have an issue, it get's worse.

Long story short, I sued them through my local small claims court. Got their attention real fast and the issue was resolved within a week. Depends on how much time you want to spend on this.

Reactions: burgman

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008

This blatantly wrong. You don't have to prove ownership to enroll a device in AppleCare+. You don't have to give your name, it doesn't have to match the registered name, the card used to pay doesn't have to belong to anyone in particular. The device simply has to pass diagnostics, or be visually inspected.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
The thing is whatever the case might be with all of that, for Activation Lock, part of the established procedure is the original receipt. Now perhaps the procedure can be improved in some ways, but that is what it has been and what it still is at the moment.
Question (because I am in process of buying a used iPhone for my son):
Many of the sellers don't seem to have or unable to find the original invoice anymore. If for some reason at some stage this activation lock issue would appear, do you think having the original box would be sufficient as a proof of legal ownership to Apple to unlock it?

Lovelinus

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
Many of the sellers don't seem to have or unable to find the original invoice anymore. If for some reason at some stage this activation lock issue would appear, do you think having the original box would be sufficient as a proof of legal ownership to Apple to unlock it?

Better buy a certified refurbished phone from Apple rather than getting a used phone. It's scary.

sven691103

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
If you think about buying an iphone from whatever source get the seller to give you the IMEI or serial number. Then go to iCloud.com and click 'check activation lock' on the bottom. Then type in the number on the webpage and check if it's locked. If so get the seller to remove it and check. If he's unable don't buy it

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
If you think about buying an iphone from whatever source get the seller to give you the IMEI or serial number. Then go to iCloud.com and click 'check activation lock' on the bottom. Then type in the number on the webpage and check if it's locked. If so get the seller to remove it and check. If he's unable don't buy it
Yes, that is a given and not a problem. I certainly don't want to buy stolen property. My worry (and maybe I am too cautious) is what if the now well known icloud problem appears, where it gets locked to an unknown apple-id after a reset or the likes in the future. Will in that case the case be enough for Apple to unlock it or not...

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008

No. You have to provide a proof of purchase with very specific information on it.

Reactions: Applejuiced

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Do you have an Apple store nearby? Sounds like that may be the only way to get through this. If you don't, you might be able to get someone at a store on the phone and ship it, along with copies of your documentation, to them for repair.

Reactions: blaine07

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
OP. All you have to do is get the original receipt from the seller. Which you said you are in contact with. They have a digital receipt guaranteed. It's that easy. That's the only way to fix this.

Seriously smelling like a troll with a stolen phone trying to weed out information from a crowd that knows Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.