Apple Notebook Refresh Expected Late This Quarter, But Only Modest Shipment Growth for 2013

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Citing supply chain sources, Digitimes reports that Apple is expected to see only modest "single-digit" shipment growth for its notebook lineup in 2013, with the 13-inch MacBook Pro in particular seeing weaker-than-expected sales.
    The report also claims that Apple will be refreshing its notebook lineup "at the end of the second quarter", which could mean an introduction at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference expected in June.

Digitimes had reported in late December that Apple was planning a June refresh for its notebook lineup, and similar timeframes have been claimed by reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Taiwanese newspaper Economic Times.

Back in mid-February, Apple released a surprise minor update for the Retina MacBook Pro, including a significant price drop for the 13-inch models. Apple also dropped pricing on the high-end MacBook Air at the time, a move that had been at least in part predicted by Digitimes in its late December report.

Apple is likely to use Intel's forthcoming Haswell processors in its next-generation notebooks, and Intel will reportedly be releasing the first mobile Haswell chips in late May or early June.

Article Link: Apple Notebook Refresh Expected Late This Quarter, But Only Modest Shipment Growth for 2013
  2. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 24, 2009
    IMO they should definitely have a laptop cheaper than $1,000
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2012
    just waiting for the 15 rMBP price to drop...
  5. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh well... It's not sales, it's growth. Any growth is good.
  6. macrumors 6502

Oct 9, 2006
    We used to see a lot more Macbook Pro 13" at uni, now more and more people are getting the Air. I would expect that the 13" gets pulled in the near future to simplify the product lines and make the pricing structure more flexible.
  7. macrumors member

Apr 8, 2013
    Wow why so soon? Better release the iPad 5 first!
  8. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2006
    Well as long as the Air gets retina, I think I would agree with that.

Also, I'm waiting on Haswell before I take the plunge. Performance has not been up to par for me at the current price.
  9. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here you are :)
  10. macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2009
    SF Bay Area
  11. macrumors member

Aug 30, 2005
    Yea whatever

Just some FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) news piece by the fine folks at digitimes. :rolleyes:
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2008
    If :apple: adds discrete GPU to the 13’ Retina, they could gain more attention since people can buy a Windoze PC for cheaper price with better specs these days. Also if they can throw in a SUPER cheap external optical drive as a freebie, it might help. Grandmothers and teenage girls these days are asking "Where's the Disc Drive?" when all they do is check Facebook. :(
  13. macrumors 65816

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Ah, it's called the 13" Retina MacBook Pro with about 3 extra millimeters and a smaller footprint.

Keep waiting though I guess, but don't expect a Retina Air for $1,199.
  14. macrumors 65816

Sep 14, 2009
    I believe how it can be hard for consumers to justify paying in the $1400+ range for notebooks, especially if they are switching over from Windows. Being accustomed to the Windows world, the problem I always had with Apple was how expensive their RAM prices & HD prices (ie, you want to upgrade from a base config, but after you add it up it's well beyond your expectations, making you re-think things or hesitate).

15. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2009
    Among the starlings
    Agh! June had better really mean June. I was going to buy this month, if the next refresh was expected in august or September, but June is probably worth the wait.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2012
    Can't wait for the Haswell refresh of the 13" rMBP and Mac Mini, plan to get both this year once they're released.
  17. macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2010
    I'd get apple laptop if there was a model with retina display, fusion drive and swappable ram and hdd. Hopefully will happen this year.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

May 7, 2007
    I hope the future of their laptop line is just one type of machine:
    - Air body
    - Pro features (external optical if needed)
    - Retina display
    In 11, 13, 15 & 17" sizes. Add an Apple-designed discrete graphics card (so it'll fit in the Air's body) as a BTO option.

One model. Four sizes. Keep things nice and simple. :)
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2011
    A marketing team's dream.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2010
  21. macrumors regular

May 23, 2010
    I just bought the 13" 256GB Macbook Air Friday; should I return it back and wait, or it's not really worth it?
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2011
    The prices need to drop on all the rMBPs. They're too expensive, and I think the numbers are showing it.
  23. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Where is the new Mac Pro? It better come out first! Couldn't resist posting! :p
  24. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Gotta love all this Mac news pouring in.

For all Macs.
  25. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Confident in the 13" MacBook Pro only to choke on the sluggish inventory? Upgrade the screen to 1440 x 900. You will get SALES from that alone. :rolleyes: