Apple notebooks faster than the fastest Intel notebooks ... in 1997

Discussion in 'Community' started by zarathustra, Feb 6, 2003.

1. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was browsing c|net, and they had this "this day in 1997" link, where they show how Apple once had the upper hand on the Mhz war. At first I wanted to say, those were the days, but i was reminded that 1996-97 was not a pretty year for Apple...

Click for link.
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    That story made me sad...:(

"Apple Computer may get a leg up on notebook PC vendors that rely on Intel processors by announcing a superfast 240-MHz PowerBook"

That was a 603e PowerPC chip, not even a G3. I couldn't even imagine trying to do work on one of those now and that was only 5 years ago.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    #3 was the age of the G4 that honestly put Apple behind in #'s...bigtime...

then the whole "MHz Myth" hype...blah blah blah...

I remember the day the G4 was announced...and how groundbreaking it was...heh...
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That thing was great. I envisioned it as a way to put together a customer's website and show it to them in real time--in their offices.

Let's see...performance doubles every 18 months...240...oh well.
  5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    hey i have a 3400. top of the line. runs 9 smoothly
  6. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    when i got my 300 mhz ibook in 1999, sj said it was the second fastest laptop on the market behind the powerbook

at the time, i saw pc laptops at 500 mhz so i wasn't so sure about sj's statement on that one...but that same week i also got a 366 mhz pc laptop which was definitely much slower than the ibook

but now, the speed is with the pc laptops and there is no denying that...they are up to 2 ghz version mobile chips and 2.4 ghz standard chips in their laptops already

besides battery time, we might see someone put a 3.06 ghz pentium 4 into a pc laptop...of course, the machine would have to have two batteries to get two hours and the thing would weigh 8 lbs:p