Apple Notifying Former MobileMe Members of New iCloud.com Email Address Options

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Back in July, Apple revealed during developer testing of iOS 6 that it would be launching new icloud.com email addresses for users of the service, with former MobileMe members using me.com or mac.com address also receiving equivalent icloud.com addresses.

Those new icloud.com addresses have been rolling out gradually over the past several months for former MobileMe members, and Apple now appears to have completed that transition, sending out an email to former MobileMe members notifying them of the new email address option.
    [​IMG]

Article Link: Apple Notifying Former MobileMe Members of New iCloud.com Email Address Options

2. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'd rather just give out the me.com address. Its just easier.

3. macrumors regular

same here

4. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ugh. No thanks. @me is just fine!

Fair warning, Apple, that if you ever force me to use 'iCloud' as my email I'll be jumping back to G-Mail.

5. macrumors member

I'm still using @mac.com, not planning to change.

6. macrumors 68000

Oohara

@me is pretty unbeatable IMO, see no reason whatsoever to switch.

+1

7. macrumors 65816

autrefois

Will be interesting to see what new email addresses Apple will have for us in two years.

8. macrumors regular

Apple are not a very nice company, so I expect the use of @me accounts to be stopped eventually.

9. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

My thoughts as well. I was one of the lucky ones who got an @me address and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

10. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Great, now just let me merge multiple Apple IDs.

11. macrumors 6502

Agreed!

+1
    Totally agree.

I started with .mac and the switch to .me was a pain. Also it's just getting confusing.

12. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I've been wanting to do that for years...

13. macrumors 6502a

mkjj

14. somethingelsefl, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

I made the switch from MobileMe to iCloud...I use aliases for work and business. Now I have @me and @iCloud for all of those. Apparently Apple wants me to have TONS of @domains.

This...is...annoying. (that's EIGHT unique addresses for two @domains for my ONE iCloud account).

Crazy.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I wouldn't bet on it. Apple has allowed users to keep all their previous addresses, long before it was called iCloud (iTools, .Mac, MobileMe).

I still have an @mac.com address. I don't see them ever forcing me to get rid of it.

16. macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have an Apple ID that is a gmail address, and my iCloud email is my old hotmail address. Is there a way to change my iCloud account to the gmail address to match my Apple ID, or better yet, a way for me to create and use an @iCloud.com address for both?

17. macrumors 6502a

And Apple would care why?

Threats like this are so stupid.

18. macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

Confusing as hell! I seem to have 4 different email addresses via Apple, not sure how I managed that!

I'd rather they just merged.

19. macrumors member

I can't wait to switch from @me.com to @icloud.com. I've always hated the cutesy and narcissistic overtones of @me.com, and I'm not the only one. Every single one of my friends and family made fun of me when I switched from Gmail to an @me.com address. I always slightly cringe when giving it out to people.

I know the nature of this board is to complain about every little change, but I look forward to escaping the stigma of @me.com. iCloud at least has an obvious connection to Apple and doesn't have that embarrassing "look at me" ring of @me.com. And for those of you who still think @mac.com is cool, your email might as well be @middleagedcurmudgeon.com.

20. macrumors regular

THIS. I signed on during the .mac era and now have 14 addresses that I have to flick through on my iPhone to find the one I now use the most. I wish I could either change the default address or hide the 12-13 that I rarely use...

21. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Weird, I never had MobileMe and i got this email as well. I've only had iCloud from the beginning....

22. macrumors 6502

Good. I feel self-righteous every time I give out my @me.com address.

23. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

24. macrumors 68000

sparkie7

25. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Curious, I only see two domains: me.com and icloud.com.

Anyway, I'll personally be using @icloud.com because I just don't seem to be able to avoid thinking of Windows Me when I see an @me.com email address. I'm hopeful that I'll forget someday...but that day ain't today so I'll gladly take the necessary avoidance measures in the meantime.