Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
After waisting untold hours posting to craigslist, waiting for responses and getting stood up in coffee shops selling my iPhone every time a new one comes out, I gotta say I couldn't be happier selling my iPhone 6 to Apple for $350 to buy the iPhone 6S. In and out in a couple of minutes with a fixed price. Those saved hours are now much more valuable to me than squeezing an extra $100 profit out.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Apple isn't greedy with this, there's a reason why every trade in company offers a much lower value, some of the phones they get they end up not being able to sell and don't want to take it as a loss so offering what they do helps them equate that
I guess that's one way of looking at it. I initially was pretty taken aback by the apparent cheapness of the offer, but then I thought about their costs to refurbish and repackage and remarket and support even a refurb, and how much more convenient it is to trade with Apple vs. dealing with the wackadoodles on EBay or Craigslist (not too familiar with Swappa) I decided it's not horrible. But I'll see what my carrier would offer in trade. I may have to trade sooner than I planned to before the carrier deals expire.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
After waisting untold hours posting to craigslist, waiting for responses and getting stood up in coffee shops selling my iPhone every time a new one comes out, I gotta say I couldn't be happier selling my iPhone 6 to Apple for $350 to buy the iPhone 6S. In and out in a couple of minutes with a fixed price. Those saved hours are now much more valuable to me than squeezing an extra $100 profit out.
Sure, if your hours are billable and exceed $100/hr.
Many don't mind sipping coffee for 15mins with an 80/20 chance of selling last year's iPhone for a lot more than $100 diff between private market value and Apple's piss poor offers.

Reactions: alexmarchuk

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
This is no different than any other trade-in program. They're not meant to be a good deal, they're meant to be easy for the consumer and allow the company to make money.

It's definitely worth taking the extra time to sell on your own (IMHO). I'd use Swappa over Ebay or Craigslist, though.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Selling anything directly versus trading it in (just like with cars), will always net you more money. They are Still offering more for an ATT 64gb iPhone 6S than Gazelle does.

If you are looking to get max money, go with MacRumors marketplace, Craigslist, ebay, Swappa, or other direct methods.

Reactions: Weaselboy

macs4nw

macrumors 601
If 50% yearly is Apple's idea of depreciation, they sell economical junkfood and better start lowering their prices
Not rushing to Apple's defence very often but, this is a third party company 'Brightstar' who are managing the trade-in values. Secondly, consider that they may have to refurbish those units before resale and also, this is really no different from trading in your car. What the dealer will give you in trade is a far cry from what he'll subsequently sell your car for.

Having said that, my personal experience with that trade-in program is not that good however, but for a different reason. When we tried to trade-in a 64GB iPad2 for a 128GB iPadAir2 complete with all accessories and bill of sale in hand about 18 months ago, we agreed on a $75 value and the sales guy proceeded to wipe the old unit 'clean' of all content. He now went on with asking us a zillion personal question which he promptly entered into his handheld, and we became increasingly uncomfortable with the level of confidential info requested to the point where I basically told him to 'back-button' everything and forget the trade-in. We weren't willing to part with all that personal info for the convenience of a trade-in.

The iPad2 was in excellent cosmetic condition with very good battery life and had been happily running iOS6. We were now stuck with a doorstopper we couldn't restore to iOS6. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ridiculous.

So, I paid $700 +/- last year for my 6s and they're only offering "up to 325". Don't think even a luxury a car losses value that fast in a year.

With how much money they profit, they just want more.

Are they going to sell them with their ways for more expensive ? Who knows...

What is sad is people not knowing or not like us on here with some knowledge will do it.

Greedy bas#%rds.
Apples and Oranges.

Computer, electronic gear has never held value near as well as vehicles.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
It's greed. Go back to bed
[doublepost=1474372544][/doublepost]
I have the 6s plus 128 unlocked. You have no clue what your saying
It's capitalism, what's great about it is you can just say no. A basic education in trade in vs retail value sounds right for you and others here. Right now on Swappa your phone is selling around $550 to $600 many are asking more and they just sit there. Some people don't like dealing with the hassle of selling and the $300 difference isn't a big deal. Why is that so hard to understand?
[doublepost=1474382059][/doublepost]
But the point of a forum is for users to express their opinions whether you like them or not. Even if we don't plan to accept the trade-in program we are entitled to have an opinion about it. Simple.
I agree let all of the snowflakes have their mock internet outrage be free.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I sold my wife's 2 year old iPhone 5s with 16 GB for $200 on craigslist...I find the trade in program a rip off...like trading in a car (though that I do).

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
How is Apple being greedy? Look at other trade in sites. From my research, Apple beat most (not by a lot, but still). And I did some research on Samsung and looks about the same price cut when you trade in your Samsung. Obviously you still can be better if you sell your phone in other ways. But people always freak out without doing research. Like when people say iPhone is expensive. iPhones have always been competitively price with flagship android phones. Do research.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I've always hated going through the process of selling via Craigslist or eBay so I've sold the last several year's worth of iPhones through services like Gazelle or via Brightstar (Apple) for the convenience. Sure, it's often times lower, but the convenience trumps that at times for me personally. I noticed that both Gazelle and Brightstar (Apple)'s offers were lower this year than previous years so I ended up giving eBay's new Quicksale program a try as they were offering me $417 for my 6S+ this year. Just sent in the phone this morning after activating my new 7 last night.

It's the age old time versus money and which do you value the most. For certain things, my time is worth more to me than getting a little bit extra cash. To each there own...not sure why people get so worked up about it all.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
While I agree the trade in price is pretty low, I'm surprised at how many people are outraged Apple isn't giving more for the trades. Maybe it would be easier to understand if people looked at Apple for what it is... a business... a business in the business of making and increasing profit. With revenue and profit challenges in China and India, that has to be made up somewhere. This is one of those places. Viewed from that perspective, it's easy to see why they'd do it. They realize the vast majority of people are going to take the path of least resistance. Walk in with old phone, walk out with new. That path just happens to have a lower resell value.

Apple isn't your friend willing to cut you a sweetheart deal. They're a business. Looking at the company in any other way leads to the type of disappointment displayed in this thread.

Reactions: macs4nw

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
ATT is giving me $650 for iPhone 6. I wasn't gonna upgrade but silly not too with that deal.

patrickbarnes

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Nope. After sellers fees it's like 30% more or so. That doesn't take into account the hassle of mailing in the iPhone, hoping the person doesn't file a claim or request a refund, or the fact that the Apple credit is instant in-store. There's definitely a convenience fee, but you aren't going to get twice as much on eBay.

Verizon is literally giving people 3x as much for a 6.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Not rushing to Apple's defence very often but, this is a third party company 'Brightstar' who are managing the trade-in values. .
Your experience and the way they fail to run the trade-in program, proves that as a customer you do not exist. Only as a prospect, whose characteristics need to be indexed in their databases.
And refurbing an iPhone (even using new parts) is a profitable business when well-organised, on a large scale with 3rd world resell markets looming over the horizon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.