Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As highlighted by VentureBeat, Electronic Arts yesterday announced in its quarterly earnings call that it is now earning more through Apple's App Store than any other retail outlet, including its own Origin digital store.

Strong performance of freemium mobile games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out, The Sims Freeplay, and Real Racing 3 helped EA post a strong $90 million in sales on smartphones and tablets. All three titles performed at record bests: The Simpsons: Tapped Out had its biggest quarter ever for sales, driving game Real Racing 3 reached 45 million downloads and has 2 million active users, and according to CEO Peter Moore, The Sims Freeplay was among the highest-grossing games on iPad.
    EA was also the #1 global publisher in the iOS games market for the June quarter, and launched its Origin gaming service on OS X earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner

2. macrumors newbie

cassiar

Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.

3. macrumors 65816

w0lf

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.

6. macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Approaching a renaissance?

Hopefully This will push the mac as a gaming platform. Steam exists here, Apple is now EA's biggest customer (bigger than Origin)...

Hopefully this brings companies to OS X/iOS

7. macrumors 601

gotluck

Hopefully ios users will learn to not buy from EA

The sensible choice

8. macrumors G3

roadbloc

9. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80

10. macrumors 6502a

springsup

Unfortunately to EA, this is just a justification of their much-hated IAP model.

Real Racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. IMO, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on IAPs took the fun away.

11. macrumors newbie

cassiar

Absolutely! It's all very exciting.

I keep seeing kids playing games with iPhones/iPods. No platform can compete with the 'pick up and play' simplicity of iOS. The graphic quality is already starting to catch up too!

12. macrumors 68020

Maybe now EA will see Mac/iOS as a gaming platform?

13. macrumors 6502

cheesyappleuser

lol

----------

No. They will see Mac/iOS as a new way to grab the s*** out of more people's money.

14. macrumors member

Where are the MAC OSX Games?

Maybe EA should start considering making some native written games for OSX or maybe transferring some of its blockbusters in OSX...I am just saying...maybe...:apple:

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors 603

Technarchy

You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.

17. macrumors regular

litmag01

What's wrong with EA?

Don't own any of their stuff. Is it really that bad?

18. macrumors regular

EA sucks.

This would be analogous to hearing that George Clooney was dating June "Mama" Shannon of Honey Boo Boo Fame.

Gross.

----------

I think you summarized it pretty well, going back to '83 to find the most recent EA game title that was both decent and didn't piss people off.

19. macrumors 65816

Risco

That is more to do with the decline of the current consoles and their impending successors. It will be a totally different story this time next year.

20. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.

21. macrumors 603

Technarchy

You're thinking short term.

Like I said, not today, not tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time before mobile creeps into the living room in a big way.

TV, Movies, Music, and Gaming, everything.

And it doesn't have to replace and XBOX, it just needs to disrupt the economy of XBOX. In the same way iPads don't replace the PC, but the PC economy is very different after the iPad.

22. macrumors member

Hell banned EA. It's too much evil even for Hell itself. :eek:

23. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple needs to take a shower every time they deal with EA.

I feel dirty just typing in their name :)

24. macrumors member

BMNEUR

That's pretty depressing, considering there aren't really any major EA titles on the App Store.

25. macrumors 65816

kmj2318

I'm really hoping that with controller support coming, it causes Nintendo the same fate as Sega so then they have to make Pokemon for iOS. All I want is a Pokemon game on my iPhone! it's the perfect game for mobile. :D