Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EA-Logo-Final.jpg
As highlighted by VentureBeat, Electronic Arts yesterday announced in its quarterly earnings call that it is now earning more through Apple's App Store than any other retail outlet, including its own Origin digital store.

Strong performance of freemium mobile games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out, The Sims Freeplay, and Real Racing 3 helped EA post a strong $90 million in sales on smartphones and tablets. All three titles performed at record bests: The Simpsons: Tapped Out had its biggest quarter ever for sales, driving game Real Racing 3 reached 45 million downloads and has 2 million active users, and according to CEO Peter Moore, The Sims Freeplay was among the highest-grossing games on iPad.
"Our quarter was notable was for its strong digital sales," EA chief operating officer Peter Moore said in a conference call with investors. "To that end, Apple was EA's biggest retail partner as measured by sales. That is a first."
EA was also the #1 global publisher in the iOS games market for the June quarter, and launched its Origin gaming service on OS X earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.

Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Approaching a renaissance?

Hopefully This will push the mac as a gaming platform. Steam exists here, Apple is now EA's biggest customer (bigger than Origin)...

Hopefully this brings companies to OS X/iOS

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.

You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Unfortunately to EA, this is just a justification of their much-hated IAP model.

Real Racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. IMO, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on IAPs took the fun away.

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Absolutely! It's all very exciting.

I keep seeing kids playing games with iPhones/iPods. No platform can compete with the 'pick up and play' simplicity of iOS. The graphic quality is already starting to catch up too!

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
unfortunately to ea, this is just a justification of their much-hated iap model.

Real racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. Imo, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on iaps took the fun away.

lol

----------

Maybe now EA will see Mac/iOS as a gaming platform?

No. They will see Mac/iOS as a new way to grab the s*** out of more people's money.

Chastepe

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Derby, UK
Where are the MAC OSX Games?

Maybe EA should start considering making some native written games for OSX or maybe transferring some of its blockbusters in OSX...I am just saying...maybe...:apple:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80

You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
EA sucks.

This would be analogous to hearing that George Clooney was dating June "Mama" Shannon of Honey Boo Boo Fame.

Gross.

----------

Complain about EA all you want but, I loved this game One on One Dr. J vs. Larry Bird on my Apple II

I think you summarized it pretty well, going back to '83 to find the most recent EA game title that was both decent and didn't piss people off.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
That is more to do with the decline of the current consoles and their impending successors. It will be a totally different story this time next year.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.

That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.

You're thinking short term.

Like I said, not today, not tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time before mobile creeps into the living room in a big way.

TV, Movies, Music, and Gaming, everything.

And it doesn't have to replace and XBOX, it just needs to disrupt the economy of XBOX. In the same way iPads don't replace the PC, but the PC economy is very different after the iPad.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I wonder if Apple needs to take a shower every time they deal with EA.

I feel dirty just typing in their name :)

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm really hoping that with controller support coming, it causes Nintendo the same fate as Sega so then they have to make Pokemon for iOS. All I want is a Pokemon game on my iPhone! it's the perfect game for mobile. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.