Apple Now Quoting 'January' Shipping Estimates for 27-Inch iMac

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shipping estimates for Apple's new 27-inch iMac models have been updated today to "January", marking the first time availability of the machines has been pushed back into 2013. Orders had previously been estimated at 3-4 weeks for shipping.

[​IMG]
    The new "January" estimate may or may not represent a lengthening of lead times given that the previous 3-4 week window was already pushing into January, but at the very least it seems that Apple is introducing some uncertainty into future availability by simply stating a one-month window for new orders rather than measuring estimates in weeks.

Supplies of the new iMac have been tight since the machine's launch one week ago, and were already expected to be constrained into 2013. The bottleneck for Apple is said to be the new production process on the machine's display, which is laminated directly to the cover glass. The process is more troublesome for larger screens, making supplies of the 27-inch iMac more scarce than those for its 21.5-inch sibling.

Article Link: Apple Now Quoting 'January' Shipping Estimates for 27-Inch iMac

2. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

Can't wait to own one! They're beautiful.

3. macrumors 6502

Oh ****. Missing the holiday season with these shenanigans... Should have sold the old model until they had some real inventory built and lines running for the new models.

4. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

January = 31st January 2013 :)

5. macrumors 6502a

Configured mine last night w/ all the bells/whistles minus the super SSD, and it it estimated the shipment to 7-11 Jan.

I guess they don't have an option to display "4-5 weeks" :eek:

6. macrumors member

Apple Online Stores are down for some countries.

7. macrumors newbie

I tried to order mine on Friday, and realized my credit card had expired! I don't use it much. Waiting on my new one and will order asap, but it sucks that I missed my window that would have been likely delivery before 2013.

8. macrumors 68030

needfx

how can we be sure it is the new iMac we are ordering when it looks exactly the same from the front!!

I can't imagine what an unpleasant surprise that can be...

9. macrumors regular

Cisco_Kid

Assembled in the USA is already showing its ugly head, delay launch is step one, over budget will be next followed by quality control problems.

10. macrumors 65816

Rot'nApple

Agreed! Went out to local Best Buy and it is a splendid piece of design. Good job Sir Jonathan. I was surprised that it didn't feel hot anywhere after my toying with it for a spell and the fact the display model is always on, running that promo on its screen!

I wouldn't worry about missed holiday. The demand for these suckers is built in due to the fact that they are over 550 days from a true refresh model. I can't wait for the 27" model to arrive at my doorstep! :)

When it does Apple, all will be forgiven! :D :apple:
    /
    /
    /

11. macrumors regular

Now the real question: when will they be available for shipping to Apple Stores?

12. macrumors 68000

Wow things are looking better for that macrumours member who bought 3 of them. Two to his kids and one for himself.

13. macrumors regular

Ditto. Store's down here in Hong kong as well. :/:eek:

14. macrumors 6502a

BTO through an authorized reseller takes 4-6 weeks so this is fine by me. :D

Looking forward to a great mid-January birthday gift! :cool:

15. macrumors member

Really?

16. macrumors G3

charlituna

The 27 is more of a prosumer model so the holiday isn't as much of a concern. And this says nothing about when they will arrive in stores. This is only for the limited quantity online channel

----------

What launch delay? This has nothing to do with the launch in stores. Which we did not get a set date for. They could arrive Dec 31 and the 'in December' is still not a delay since that is when they said the units would START shipping, not when they promised everyone that wants one will get it.

17. macrumors regular

aquaboy

So this effects people like me who ordered in the first hour of them going on sale? Noooooooo I want to cry!

18. macrumors 601

Oh come on...:rolleyes:

----------

There's zero proof the first shipments are made in the USA.

19. macrumors newbie

January?

Well, November meant the last day of the month, so I wonder if this means shipping has slipped to 6-8 weeks and "January" just sounds better.

20. macrumors 65816

ctdonath

No, it affects people who are ordering one now.

21. macrumors 68000

The article says Asian companies are having a hard time making those groovy thin screens.

Could they be made faster in the US? In BC? Well, not in BC obviously...

It is extremely unlikely that iMacs are actually made in the US! Maybe some options are attached at a distribution center. It is possible that components for Mac Pros could be stuffed into the case someplace. What would that take, an hour? And it could be done in any building or my garage for that matter...

22. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Haswell or bust.

23. macrumors regular

iLondoner

The UK online store still quotes 3 - 4 weeks, though adding in BTO options will likely defer that window a week or so.

Bricks and mortar stores (in the UK at least) will stock the higher-end 27" model with 1.128TB Fusion drive as well as the standard 1TB HDD. Lower-end 27" models only with standard 1TB.

24. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Well let them take their time and get it right.

25. macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

I'd really like to see this thin a** thing as a new TB display with USB 3.0.

Hopefully soon?